Jeep Compass Forum

Jeep Compass Forum (https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/)
-   Handling, Braking and Suspension Discussion (https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/handling-braking-suspension-discussion/)
-   -   Strange sounds from the rear end. (https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/handling-braking-suspension-discussion/16608-strange-sounds-rear-end.html)

ezzys07compass 08-16-2013 01:05 PM

Strange sounds from the rear end.
 
Hey everyone.

I have a 2007 Compass sport 2.4 with 5speed manual.

It seems when I experience any kind of rear end squat; depressing/release the brake pedal after being stopped on the road, parked, or even moving backwards I get a strange squeaking/springing sound. It's odd. Any ideas? The sound became apparent rather quickly. Seems to have shown up within the last couple weeks, Ball joints for the control arms in the rear maybe?

It sounds especially loud when I'm releasing the brake pedal after I've been stopped, at an intersection or parked, for example.

Let me know what you think.

tripplec 08-16-2013 01:15 PM

Start with your rear brakes. When did you do them last?

They can make various noises.

ezzys07compass 08-16-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripplec (Post 34465)
Start with your rear brakes. When did you do them last?

They can make various noises.


Hm, good point. I figured it may have been those, seeing as the problem showed when I applied the brakes.

I'm just not sure what, in the braking system, could generate that sort of sound. Unless it's the braking piston, which would be a bit scary.

Nevertheless, I'll work on the brakes as I don't know when they were done last. I bought the vehicle used last year.

I agree with your assessment of the Jeep Compass, I wouldn't buy one again, or the Patriot for that matter. I should've have bought a new Wrangler. My dad and friend have 2011 Wranglers and they use the same amount of fuel I do! If I'd bought a 2012 Wrangler I'd have used less.

Thanks friend

tripplec 08-16-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzys07compass (Post 34466)
Hm, good point. I figured it may have been those, seeing as the problem showed when I applied the brakes.

I'm just not sure what, in the braking system, could generate that sort of sound. Unless it's the braking piston, which would be a bit scary.

Nevertheless, I'll work on the brakes as I don't know when they were done last. I bought the vehicle used last year.

I agree with your assessment of the Jeep Compass, I wouldn't buy one again, or the Patriot for that matter. I should've have bought a new Wrangler. My dad and friend have 2011 Wranglers and they use the same amount of fuel I do! If I'd bought a 2012 Wrangler I'd have used less.

Thanks friend

The OEM pads make creaking noise backing up when cold. Use ceramic pads as I just went thru a set of them now I have noise from mine now when lightly braking. I notice looking and feeling the rotor that wear channel is on the rotor as well. So I am replacing the rear rotors along with the pads tonight or tomorrow. There is a info on doing them in another thread I added info in about brakes and rotor changes. Its different than the other Jeeps.

I am constantly fixing this. While my WJ is still running fine and cause me no grief. There is always something with the Compass.

PS: If you doing them be sure to put caliper grease on the slide pins so the calipers can slide in and out as the need to!!!

tripplec 08-16-2013 02:00 PM

I have just switch to Wagner PerfectStop Ceramic pads for the rear. The generic was fine but seems to have worn quickly. Since I just put the same pads on the front last month I am using them on the rear as well. The cost a bit more but should be fine for some time. $45 was my cost for the rear pads. FYI

ezzys07compass 08-16-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripplec (Post 34467)
The OEM pads make creaking noise backing up when cold. Use ceramic pads as I just went thru a set of them now I have noise from mine now when lightly braking. I notice looking and feeling the rotor that wear channel is on the rotor as well. So I am replacing the rear rotors along with the pads tonight or tomorrow. There is a info on doing them in another thread I added info in about brakes and rotor changes. Its different than the other Jeeps.

I am constantly fixing this. While my WJ is still running fine and cause me no grief. There is always something with the Compass.

PS: If you doing them be sure to put caliper grease on the slide pins so the calipers can slide in and out as the need to!!!



WJís are nice. Very nice.

Thanks for the info. I didnít think it had to do with the rear suspension as the sound seems to occur only under braking (release or application).

Iíve got a lot of wear on the rear rotor as well, which seems really strange given the fronts are doing most of the work and yet all I need is pads in the front.

What an odd vehicle the Compass is.

tripplec 08-16-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzys07compass (Post 34469)
WJís are nice. Very nice.

Thanks for the info. I didnít think it had to do with the rear suspension as the sound seems to occur only under braking (release or application).

Iíve got a lot of wear on the rear rotor as well, which seems really strange given the fronts are doing most of the work and yet all I need is pads in the front.

What an odd vehicle the Compass is.

I am not sure if the ceramic generic pads I replace OEM ones with wear more material off the rotor or not but its happened anyway. The rotors are cheap enought and letting new pad trying to bead into the old groved channel is asking for trouble and redoing it all again and new parts. I might as well do it all and be done with it for a few years anyway. I am not sure but I doubt I have more than two years on these ceramic pads or 30k which is not much.

My wifes Jeep and keeps me busy keeping up to scratch. Since you never done them. Read up on the removal process posted with pic's and its pretty easy on these to do. Fronts also only to one hour start to finish of the job.

You'll likely be good once done and likely needs it as you say.

tripplec 08-17-2013 05:17 PM

Ok, I just finished with the rear brakes. Rotors and new Wagner Perfect stop ceramic pads.

The only thing new was a plug that has to be removed from the old rear rotor in the e-brake area and inserted into the new rotor.

A small bungie cord helps it you short a 3rd hand like I am. The caliper keeps dropping down into the rotor messing with my progress. Murphy lends a hand as well if something pops of or is stuck like the stainless steel plate on the inner pad which goes against the piston.

But other than that I found my pads I did a while ago still with a lot of material. At least half for sure. I believe the lack of caliper grease on the stainless steel guides that the inner pad moves in/out on was a bit tighter than it should be and/or the rotor rippled wear on the surface was causing noise and some braking issues. Anyway its all new now and I don't expect any trouble.

The test drive went fine and even with some short hard braking they'll bead in fine. New brakes all around now.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome