Strange sounds from the rear end. - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 08-16-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Strange sounds from the rear end.

Hey everyone.

I have a 2007 Compass sport 2.4 with 5speed manual.

It seems when I experience any kind of rear end squat; depressing/release the brake pedal after being stopped on the road, parked, or even moving backwards I get a strange squeaking/springing sound. It's odd. Any ideas? The sound became apparent rather quickly. Seems to have shown up within the last couple weeks, Ball joints for the control arms in the rear maybe?

It sounds especially loud when I'm releasing the brake pedal after I've been stopped, at an intersection or parked, for example.

Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM

Start with your rear brakes. When did you do them last?

They can make various noises.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Start with your rear brakes. When did you do them last?

They can make various noises.

Hm, good point. I figured it may have been those, seeing as the problem showed when I applied the brakes.

I'm just not sure what, in the braking system, could generate that sort of sound. Unless it's the braking piston, which would be a bit scary.

Nevertheless, I'll work on the brakes as I don't know when they were done last. I bought the vehicle used last year.

I agree with your assessment of the Jeep Compass, I wouldn't buy one again, or the Patriot for that matter. I should've have bought a new Wrangler. My dad and friend have 2011 Wranglers and they use the same amount of fuel I do! If I'd bought a 2012 Wrangler I'd have used less.

Thanks friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-16-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzys07compass View Post
Hm, good point. I figured it may have been those, seeing as the problem showed when I applied the brakes.

I'm just not sure what, in the braking system, could generate that sort of sound. Unless it's the braking piston, which would be a bit scary.

Nevertheless, I'll work on the brakes as I don't know when they were done last. I bought the vehicle used last year.

I agree with your assessment of the Jeep Compass, I wouldn't buy one again, or the Patriot for that matter. I should've have bought a new Wrangler. My dad and friend have 2011 Wranglers and they use the same amount of fuel I do! If I'd bought a 2012 Wrangler I'd have used less.

Thanks friend
The OEM pads make creaking noise backing up when cold. Use ceramic pads as I just went thru a set of them now I have noise from mine now when lightly braking. I notice looking and feeling the rotor that wear channel is on the rotor as well. So I am replacing the rear rotors along with the pads tonight or tomorrow. There is a info on doing them in another thread I added info in about brakes and rotor changes. Its different than the other Jeeps.

I am constantly fixing this. While my WJ is still running fine and cause me no grief. There is always something with the Compass.

PS: If you doing them be sure to put caliper grease on the slide pins so the calipers can slide in and out as the need to!!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 08-16-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added last line
post #5 of 8 Old 08-16-2013, 02:00 PM

I have just switch to Wagner PerfectStop Ceramic pads for the rear. The generic was fine but seems to have worn quickly. Since I just put the same pads on the front last month I am using them on the rear as well. The cost a bit more but should be fine for some time. $45 was my cost for the rear pads. FYI

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 08-16-2013 at 02:02 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-16-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
The OEM pads make creaking noise backing up when cold. Use ceramic pads as I just went thru a set of them now I have noise from mine now when lightly braking. I notice looking and feeling the rotor that wear channel is on the rotor as well. So I am replacing the rear rotors along with the pads tonight or tomorrow. There is a info on doing them in another thread I added info in about brakes and rotor changes. Its different than the other Jeeps.

I am constantly fixing this. While my WJ is still running fine and cause me no grief. There is always something with the Compass.

PS: If you doing them be sure to put caliper grease on the slide pins so the calipers can slide in and out as the need to!!!

WJís are nice. Very nice.

Thanks for the info. I didnít think it had to do with the rear suspension as the sound seems to occur only under braking (release or application).

Iíve got a lot of wear on the rear rotor as well, which seems really strange given the fronts are doing most of the work and yet all I need is pads in the front.

What an odd vehicle the Compass is.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzys07compass View Post
WJís are nice. Very nice.

Thanks for the info. I didnít think it had to do with the rear suspension as the sound seems to occur only under braking (release or application).

Iíve got a lot of wear on the rear rotor as well, which seems really strange given the fronts are doing most of the work and yet all I need is pads in the front.

What an odd vehicle the Compass is.
I am not sure if the ceramic generic pads I replace OEM ones with wear more material off the rotor or not but its happened anyway. The rotors are cheap enought and letting new pad trying to bead into the old groved channel is asking for trouble and redoing it all again and new parts. I might as well do it all and be done with it for a few years anyway. I am not sure but I doubt I have more than two years on these ceramic pads or 30k which is not much.

My wifes Jeep and keeps me busy keeping up to scratch. Since you never done them. Read up on the removal process posted with pic's and its pretty easy on these to do. Fronts also only to one hour start to finish of the job.

You'll likely be good once done and likely needs it as you say.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 8 Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Ok, I just finished with the rear brakes. Rotors and new Wagner Perfect stop ceramic pads.

The only thing new was a plug that has to be removed from the old rear rotor in the e-brake area and inserted into the new rotor.

A small bungie cord helps it you short a 3rd hand like I am. The caliper keeps dropping down into the rotor messing with my progress. Murphy lends a hand as well if something pops of or is stuck like the stainless steel plate on the inner pad which goes against the piston.

But other than that I found my pads I did a while ago still with a lot of material. At least half for sure. I believe the lack of caliper grease on the stainless steel guides that the inner pad moves in/out on was a bit tighter than it should be and/or the rotor rippled wear on the surface was causing noise and some braking issues. Anyway its all new now and I don't expect any trouble.

The test drive went fine and even with some short hard braking they'll bead in fine. New brakes all around now.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in