Rattling noise in front of compass - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Rattling noise in front of compass

Okay, I'm not a auto mechanic but i am mechanically inclined. I have this noise coming from what appears the front tire area of the car, more from the passenger side than the driver side. I've changed all three motor mounts, noise still there. I changed the struts, noise still there. The last thing I tried was wheel bearings, and the noise is still there. Struts were leaking when i changed them and the motor mounts were bad also, but the bearings seemed okay. I did have play when i tried moving the tires back and forth when up in the air so thats why i changed the bearings. When I'm driving on regular road is sounds like something is loose at the tires. When i hit a big bumps noise is there, when i go over small bumps noise is there. On the highway you don't hear anything,it runs smooth, just when i get on regular streets is when i hear the rattling. Check the cv axle and it fine. I can't figure it out Has anyone ever had this problem? By the way my compass is an 07, 2.4L with 100k miles. please help me cause i'm going crazy. I've tried the dealership twice and i can't even get an appt cause they are always booked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-12-2013, 05:21 PM

Can you replicate the noise by rocking the front from either side in the driveway?

I don't know what is there to rattle but it could be a bad choice of words to describe the sound. Check for worn balls on the torsion bar support arms. You can reach over the wheel to feel if they're moving when someone with a few muscles is rocking it side to side. Mine went but makes a knocking sound going over irregular surfaces and speed bumps.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-22-2013, 04:34 AM

Garage
Rattle rattle, kalog kalog

Hah! I got rid of much of the noise from my '07 Jeep compass. Here's what I did.
1. Got better tires (Michelin Defender)
2. Removed both bumpers and put rtv silicone on loose parts like hard foam inside the bumpers.
3. Put rtv silicone on the black grill insert of the front bumper.
4. Added insulation behind the door panels. Siliconed loose wires, etc.
5. Added noise insulation under the carpeting (dynamat)
6. Replaced worn inner and outer tie rod ends and greased the control arm ball joint (Castrol Pyroplex Blue) Tie rods by MOOG.
7. Found loose wires in engine compartment, loose wire ties for the oxygen sensor... rtv siliconed them.
8. Replaced sway bar bushings (182,300 miles) front and back. Parts(swaybar bushings front and rear) cost less than $25.00. I should have done it sooner.
My struts are original... still performs very well although I noticed that the dust boots are cracked.

So there. To test if your bumpers are noisy, hit with the palm of your hand. If you get rattles now you know how to fix that problem (rtv silicone)

I also applied rtv silicone to the seat belt glide mounts. That killed the noise from that area. I put damping foam inside the subwoofer box to remove boominess and siliconed around the area where noise might come from. Works great.

Plastic running boards or plastic parts on the lower side of the car made noise. Silicone killed the noise. Siliconed around heat shields under the car... Killed the noise.

Now my car is so quiet that I am able to enjoy classical music even at low volumes. Oh, and don't forget the rear plates... they make rattling noises too. Ever hear somebody's car playing loud bass and his plates rattle like crazy? Mine don't anymore.

So at 183,500 miles my Jeep Compass is more quiet than when I got it brand new.

This fixes are very easy just spend some time and a little bit of money for parts and GE rtv silicone (4 or 5 tubes at the most). I hope this helps you my friends. Check out my other entries. Thanks

Last edited by jeepney_driver; 10-02-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 PM

It sounds like you needed a case of Silcone sealant. LOL

You must have pulled all the plastics of in and out. Wow

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-29-2013, 03:50 PM

Garage
Haha! Well, I realized, rtv is useful when I got a chance to mess with some hi tech eqpt back in 1974. I can't give you the details but I tell you, the rtv that I saw back then was actually tougher than what you can buy today from the hardware store. Rtv really kills rattles and noises. I use the clear stuff. I am really happy with it. Oh, last night we went out to dinner and took my friend's 2012 Toyota Camry. Compared to my '07 Compass, his car is waaay too noisy. Not engine noise, no mechanical rattles but noisy. Like I said, I can now enjoy classical music at low volumes in my car. Oh, and here's another thing and I should share this in the brakes discussion area. For the past month I have been noticing that when I brake at speeds over 40mph, the steering wheel oscillates or Judders so I decided to replace my front rotors, pads and brake kit. Well, what do you know, the car got even more quieter. Apparently, brake pads as they become thinner will rattle. Needless to say replacing the rotors (probably warped) eliminated the steering wheel oscillations and judder. I hope this info helps everyone Tks.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Rattling sound in my compass

I just posted a video on YouTube it is titled rattling sound from jeep compass. Check it out and tell me what you think

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in