Replacement of front right arm bushing (flat) - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 12-25-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Replacement of front right arm bushing (flat)

For some reason the rear bushing of the right arm of my jeep compass fails (rubber fails and arm went to metal to metal on the suspension).

When i went to the mechanic this happened:

- Need to replace also the front bushing because it was worn.
- Need to replace the bushings of the left side in order to have both sides with same new parts.
- Have to replace also inner/outer tie rod ends in both sides.

All this costs: USD 450 including spare parts and man hours. All spare parts were alternative. Original would be extremely expensive (i quoted and was almost 3 times going on alternative)

My jeep compass is actually 117,500Km. 99.9% on pavement, highway and city. Never went to off road or something similar.

At this point. I have replaced bushings, struts, inner/outer tie rods and ball joints.

It seems that suspension for this trucks sucks!!!!

I had a small VW Gol (made in Brazil), and had to replace tie rods when it was 160,000Km. #%"#%#"%#"...... where is the Make to last? or build strong? or whatever...

Regards,
William Ojeda

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 02:25 PM

I have replace inner and outer tie rods on one side only of my Compass so far. Also the lower front A arm which has the ball joint. None were gone and barely had play in them. Only the ball joint was justified for my swap out. This was on the passenger side. It turns out that if you're wiggling that wheel it appeared that the inner was worn but it was the rack & pinion moving. Someone has to hold the steering wheel tight or you tie it down because it move it easily from the passenger side.

Having said all that. The parts are not that expensive for after market parts. You do need a inner tie rod removal tool and MOOG part since others cannot be installed with the tool. Wrong manufacturing size of the big knuckle. The outer and A arm with the ball joint does not matter. I got everything off Ebay except the MOOG inner tie rod. You can do it yourself especially with your warm weather. We're in a deep freeze and sealed in ice from a big ice storm.

As for the rear I've not looked at anything there yet. I hope that rubber is not a common problem. NOTE This Jeep is built on a car platform (Dodge Calibre) with a different body only.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2014, 12:44 AM

ive done control arms in my wifes compass twice, did ball joints only once (yes they do sell them separate and you can press them out/in) and outer tie rods ends once, driver side strut and pass side shock/strut is failing now

she has just over 100K miles on it.

im doing the sway bar bushings in a day or two for the first time.

the front ends are junk in these cars and i really will consider never buying from jeep again now

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-08-2014, 03:01 PM

With the right tools and a lot of patience, you can do the front end yourself. I replaced both control arms (came with ball joints), both inner and outer tie rods in a weekend. Cost me about $250 USD for all parts. Labor is free (me). If you have a good tool set you'll just need a special inner tie rod removal tool, like Tripplec said.

Important: saturate all nuts and bolts with penetrating oil in the work area before going in. You may want to spray your points each night and drive your Jeep as you normally would for a week before you disassemble. It will help tremendously!

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4WD - Black
4 Cyl, 2.4L CVT
195,000/mi -
215/65R17 - Continental ProContact ECOPlus

Replaced entire front end suspension at 190,000mi (control arms, inner/outer tie rods, bushings, etc.) (did it myself)

new Monroe struts at 160,000/mi (did it myself)
Ball Joints 2x-both sides - various mileage (did it myself)
post #5 of 7 Old 02-08-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosHRNYC View Post
With the right tools and a lot of patience, you can do the front end yourself. I replaced both control arms (came with ball joints), both inner and outer tie rods in a weekend. Cost me about $250 USD for all parts. Labor is free (me). If you have a good tool set you'll just need a special inner tie rod removal tool, like Tripplec said.

Important: saturate all nuts and bolts with penetrating oil in the work area before going in. You may want to spray your points each night and drive your Jeep as you normally would for a week before you disassemble. It will help tremendously!
Bump,

1/2" socket set highly recommended possibly a Johnson bar would help. Note for the inner tie rod you must have the "tie rod removal tool" I bought one set on eBAY.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 7 Old 05-11-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Inner/Outer tie rod change

ME AGAIN!!!!!!

For some reason the inner tie rod of the drivers side arm of my jeep compass starts cluncking. This happend 4 months after the previous change. When the mechanics remove the inner part, the outer tie rod was completely loose also. I suppose the part has some problem, because 4 months is nothing. This truck goes on highway 99.9% of the time. Never has been in off road. Even i never try the 4WD option.

Well i had to replace the inner and outer tie rod of both sides. the right side was worn also. I suppose i use a too cheap part. Im thinking of import OEM parts from the US.

I dont know if maybe the bushings that were replaced some months ago are the cause of these premature failures. Maybe too hard bushings made the inner/outer rods work a lot??? i am guessing.... but there is to be an explanation.

The explanation of my wife is that I am a CAR Maniac!!!!, because as soon as i hear something strange i go to the mechanic. What happend is that i am worried because we use the highway most of the time and i dont want any accident because mechanic issues.

My jeep compass is actually 118,500Km. 99.9% on pavement, highway and city. Never went to off road or something similar.

At this point. I have replaced bushings, struts, inner/outer tie rods and ball joints.

It seems that suspension for this trucks sucks!!!!

Regards,
William Ojeda

p.d: I'm looking after another truck. Probably im goint to KIA Sorento full equipment, next year. I hope the compass last to that moment.

So far i spend USD 10,244 in preventive/corrective maintenance in this truck, and milage is about 74,000 (118,500km). i dont thing this is right.

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #7 of 7 Old 05-11-2014, 06:16 PM

Hi

Mevotech makes good front end parts. For the inner tie rod ends I used MOOG only because there part can be installed with the tie rod removal tool. The Mevotech size is like other aftermarket which is a not standard size. Why I don't know but you can't install it because the size the tool goes on is wrong.

Yes that way way too much on repairs. 95% of mine I had done under warranty but I paid for it by nearly living there. In every week or two getting it fixed. Hundreds of hours in the shop. From this forum the 2007 appears to be the most trouble prone eating parts over and over again.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in