Rear suspension issues causing poor handling - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wpgjeepcompass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Rear suspension issues causing poor handling

Hey everyone,

I drive a 2007 Jeep Compass sport (2WD)

When the snow fell and the roads got slippery I started to notice that my Jeep would sway back and forth in the rear end. So I brought it in to the mechanic and they tell me that I need to replace the upper and lower control arms and lateral links on both sides and they provided me with a pretty hefty estimate of about $1400 to do it. $470 for parts and the rest is the labor..

My question is has anyone done this type of work themselves? Would I need any special tools?

Also, is there a good place to get parts for cheaper?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

update

I ended up taking it in to another garage that was recommended to me and they checked it all out and said that the control arms and lateral link were in good condition, they did a 4 wheel alignment and all is good.
BusterOz likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2014, 02:30 PM

Well done, I gather garage #1 was not recommended one. I expect you'll stay away from them in the future.

Its amazing what some place will have you do and after all that worked they likely do the alignment anyway and all would have been good. With it that bad I'd think you'd also have tire wear symptoms.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

There is no noticeable wear patterns that I can see, you may be right though. I will check into that.

They (garage #2) said that my frame may be bent as well which is surprising to me because I was only in one minor accident, I did buy it used (a year old at 20,000 Kms) though so who knows...

To top it all off my power steering pump has sprung a couple leaks due to it being so cold lately. Oh the joys of car ownership.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Good luck, with it. I hope I don't have any problem show up now. It's -25C this morning and I can't work in those temperature. Spring at least it much better on my body. I run synthetic oil which certainly help the starting and wear in the winter.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-23-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

well the saga continues!! I received a TSB (#WB-D-14-07) Description: MOPAR: THE WARRANT HAS BEEN EXTENDED ON FRONT AND/OR REAR CROSSMEMBERS FOR CERTAIN VEHICLES, IN SALT BELT REGIONS, AND COVERS 10 YEARS/UNLIMITED MILES AND EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. MODEL 2007 CALIBER, COMPASS, PATRIOT.

So i brought it in to the dealership to have it inspected, of course the part in question was fine but they did recommend that i replace the rear upper lateral links as well as the rear toe links which will work out to about a grand after taxes...

so now I am wondering if that was what was causing the swaying feel in the rear end that i was noticing last year. We haven't had as much snow this year so it is hard to tell but the handling doesn't feel right.

is this something that I should attempt to repair myself and then just get a wheel alignment afterwards or if it is best to just bite the bullet and get it done at the dealership.

i just wish the suspension was better in the compass as it was a big selling point when i bought it...i guess thats what i get for buying the first model year of a new model at the entry level...

any suggestions will be appreciated, and before it is suggested please note that i am not in a position to buy a different vehicle

thanks in advance
post #7 of 7 Old 03-12-2015, 07:50 PM

I had my upper links replace early this winter. A long 1/2 drive extension is needed or two to get your ratchet out in a clear rotating area. They are a solid rod with eyelet ends which are different. So remembering how the original was in is important. Both sides must on jacks!!! An air gun is extremely helpful getting it out.

The bushing wears out on it and those parts (left and right are the same) not expensive either from parts store. <$50 each.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in