Whoop, whoop, whoop noise coming from rear end of 2007 jeep compass - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Whoop, whoop, whoop noise coming from rear end of 2007 jeep compass

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this and if so any help would be appreciated. When I accelerate my 2007 jeep compass makes a whooping noise that comes from the rear end on my vehicle. It get louder the faster I go and gets quieter when I begin to slow down. Any ideas on what this could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 04:32 PM

Could be anything that's back there. From Bearings, brakes, differential and shaft.

Have you jacked it up and checked each wheel or better get both sides on stands to rotate both wheels.

Otherwise take it to a garage for an estimate on repair.

Something is shot for sure. Expect to pay money for fixing it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah I figured as much. Just didn't know if anyone had the same noise and what and how much it cost to repair. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to get under it and look. Thanks for the info though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 08:18 PM

Yes, being an older version (2007) it could be most anything. No way to isolate with the details provided. If only on acceleration and not maintaining a speed might indicate something further front or the bearing being under load or diff gears.

Have a mechanic test drive it and see what they say. If you take it to a dealer it will be the worst case scenario.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2015, 01:19 PM

i know this is old but ill chime in for anyone who comes across this in the future

the way the OP describes the sound seems as though wheel bearing is the cause. as Tripplec stated, it could be other things though.

the noise getting louder and faster with speed points to rotational parts. Break disc, wheel bearing, driveshaft, cv axles. (driveshaft and CV axles are usually accompanied by some low speed grinding and squeaking noises IMO.)

based solely on your description i would be looking at a possible warped brake disc (you should feel shaking and possibly small pumping in the break pedal while breaking if this is the case) or wheel bearing.

if wheel bearing the noise will get louder or softer as you take a turn. if the noise gets louder going around a RIGHT hand turn it is most likely the LEFT bearing as this will be increasing load on the left side of the vehicle thus increasing pressure on the bearings. if the noise gets quieter going around a RIGHT hand turn then it is most likely the RIGHT bearing as it takes pressure off that side of the car.

i had similar sound from the rear of my wifes car, i suspected bearing but it was very hard to tell which side it was coming from, after some test driving i determined correctly that it was the driver rear bearing. replaced it myself (easy job accept when you add in rust) and it fixed the noise

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS
post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2015, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Check the rear tires, if they are cupping they can make the sound you are describing.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2015, 11:41 AM

yes good point, and if you suspect tires you can rotate back wheels to front to see if the noise follows

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in