Unbalanced rear pad wear occurred - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 08-11-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Question Unbalanced rear pad wear occurred

Just putting this out there for others. While on a scenic Sunday drive the drivers side brakes hit the metal plates. Odd that it seemed I changed them not that long ago. Anyway, I got a new set of pads for the rear. I pulled the affected side first and discovered (not surprisingly) the piston side was scored too much to really use any longer. I got another rotor for it and got it all back together. The passenger side pads were approx. 25% worn in my guestimation hence not doing too much. I pulled the caliper up and out and was able to get the piston to come out with peddle pressure, so it not seized and went back together ok. Testing further with the wheel on and engine running after a short round the block drive with the wheel jacked. Applying brakes a little at a time got the wheel to lock up for my arms to turn it. It seem to be ok and working.

I have no idea why the braking was unbalanced unless the ABS brake controller is unbalance applying forces to the calipers. I'll watch it over the weeks and see if anything looks odd.

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem and this is the 3rd set of pads that were on it when it happened.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

I talked to a local mechanic and he's seen this on a number of Chrysler vehicles. Caliper defective as they aren't releasing after being pressed during braking. Another very poor quality part on Jeeps. This sucks that means the others may also need replacing soon enough. I can't bleed by myself so he's going to do the work. It won't take long to do anyway.

Repairs are now done:
- new caliper
- bleeding both rear calipers (just in case)

So if you have this problem you'll need a new caliper on the offending side. This is a problem with many Chrysler vehicles according to the mechanic. He was doing a Caravan as well after me with the same issue. NOTE: This is not covered by the Power Train or likely standard warranty. I had noisy pads in the rear after 20k brakes are excluded from base warranty so you're likely on the hook from the get go if the calipers give up the ghost. Also may other and even much older vehicles have their original calipers (steel) still working as I do in my 2002 GC which 289k on it. Ford 2002 Explorer also original calipers. The quality of parts have really become really bad in newer Chrysler products which is likely why they're bottom dweller in JDPower ratings.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 08-28-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added final post repair info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in