Front crossmember and rear subframe rot - Jeep Compass Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 39 Old 05-28-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
 
Garage
Front crossmember and rear subframe rot

Service Bulletin NUMBER: 23-012-14
GROUP: Body
DATE: May 19, 2014
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.
NOTE: This only applies to vehicles in the Canadian Market and in salt belt states which include Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, D.C., West Virginia and Wisconsin.
SUBJECT:
Front And Rear Crossmember Corrosion (X58 10 Years Unlimited Mileage)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting the front and rear crossmembers for perforation / rust through and if necessary, replace the crossmember(s).
MODELS:
2007 PM Caliber
2007 MK Compass, Patriot
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after August 26, 2005 (MDH
0826XX) and on or before July 23, 2007 (MDH 0723XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a vibration at the steering wheel or may have been informed by a technician or state vehicle inspection that the front and / or rear crossmember is severely corroded.
POLICY:
Warranty period for crossmember perforation / rust through is extended to 10 years.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.[/QUOTE]
.
My 2008 Compass seems to have the same issue. It was manufactured in October, 2007 so it would apparently not be covered under this bulletin. Has anyone else had this same issue with their 2008?
Sdsjeep2008 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 Old 10-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
 
Garage
My 2008 Jeep Compass is literally in the shop right now awaiting an estimate for a rotted subframe. We started hearing rattling in the front driver's side wheel area this weekend and I was just told the subframe is rotted out. I live in Massachusetts but the car previously had a single owner in Vermont so probably the reason for the rot. I plan to call Jeep as well to complain, but am not holding my breath they will do anything. What was the outcome of your Compass?
tf6217 is offline  
post #3 of 39 Old 10-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Senior Member
 
tripplec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belleville, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,897
 
Report it as a safety issue and maybe a recall will be issued. This should not happen for at least 15 years on any vehicle.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tripplec is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 39 Old 10-26-2015, 11:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
 
Garage
Thanks. I will do that, but won't help me now. The garage I went to gave me an estimate of $1800 and that's with a subframe from a salvage yard. Seems really high to me. I will probably take it elsewhere for an estimate.
tf6217 is offline  
post #5 of 39 Old 10-27-2015, 12:05 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
 
Garage
Just went to safercar.gov. If you search for 2008 Jeep Compass complaints, you will see 7 of the 10 most recent complaints are for subframe rot. I will make it 8 of 11 shortly. Search results are at: </title> <meta name="description" content="" > <meta name="author" content="" > <meta name="keywords" content="" > <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="safercar/jquery-ui
tf6217 is offline  
post #6 of 39 Old 10-27-2015, 01:59 AM
Senior Member
 
gunner92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 147
 
Those are strong complains for less than 10 years old jeeps. These years should be included on the bulletin.
gunner92 is offline  
post #7 of 39 Old 10-27-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf6217 View Post
My 2008 Jeep Compass is literally in the shop right now awaiting an estimate for a rotted subframe. We started hearing rattling in the front driver's side wheel area this weekend and I was just told the subframe is rotted out. I live in Massachusetts but the car previously had a single owner in Vermont so probably the reason for the rot. I plan to call Jeep as well to complain, but am not holding my breath they will do anything. What was the outcome of your Compass?
A jeep representative "Jeep Cares", from another Jeep forum (may also be on this one) contacted me and extended the warranty to my vehicle. I noted that my vehicle was built in October of 2007 and most likely they used left over parts from 2007. I got the front subframe replaced under warranty with a $100 deductible and assurance that my rear subframe would be replaced when it is condemed. They gave me a case number for reference on the rear subframe.

The Jeep dealership in my area indicated it whould have been around $1000 to replace the front subframe. I've also seen them for sale used for around $400

I was happy that Jeep stepped up and did this for me.
Sdsjeep2008 is offline  
post #8 of 39 Old 11-05-2015, 01:53 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
 
Garage
Got my Compass back from the garage. Repair consisted of a front subframe from Louisiana, control arms, and front-end alignment. In insisted the part come from somewhere down South so that I don't have a repeat of the problem. Came out to around $1500 which people have said is pretty reasonable. I am the second owner having only had it since November 2014. For the rest of the time, it was owned and driven in Vermont which explains alot. The garage said that the rot is difficult to detect since only the holes are visible from the bottom. Once they got it out, it was pretty evident how bad the problem was. Here are links to photos of the rotted subframe next to the replacement subframe:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...mY1c2t1N0xyd1E
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...WNKUENCdzZ3ejQ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...VhKNXlWR29VXzg

I'm hoping Chrysler will recall the 2008's so that I can get reimbursed. I have to believe it's the same part as the 2007 and they are in denial for the 2008's.
tf6217 is offline  
post #9 of 39 Old 11-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
tripplec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belleville, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,897
 
I am sure a lot has to deal with the quality of the steel.

Watch out for your oil pan. Mine had quite a few rust spots which I noticed this spring doing my oil change. I cleaned it up as best I could and spray it well with a rust paint. An oil pan should never rust or worst rust through. I could cost anyone their engine if the oil was lost on a drive. Threw no fault of their own. Its a manufacturer problem they created.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tripplec is offline  
post #10 of 39 Old 11-06-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I am sure a lot has to deal with the quality of the steel.

Watch out for your oil pan. Mine had quite a few rust spots which I noticed this spring doing my oil change. I cleaned it up as best I could and spray it well with a rust paint. An oil pan should never rust or worst rust through. I could cost anyone their engine if the oil was lost on a drive. Threw no fault of their own. Its a manufacturer problem they created.
.
Yep, my 2008 Compass has a pretty rusted oil pan. I'm going to change it next week with a new one. Oil pans shouldn't rust that quickly. It rusted much like the cross members did which make me wonder if the primer they used was not up to par.

The body and underside (with the exception of the crossmembers) is in excellent condition for the vehicle spending 7 years in NH winters and 1 year so far in Vermont.
Sdsjeep2008 is offline  
post #11 of 39 Old 11-16-2015, 12:43 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1
 
Sub Frame rot here also..

Just had my daughter's 2008 Compass at our local Jeep service shop for it's regular oil change service and they told me her 2008 Compass has sub frame rot and it needs to be repaired soon.. I couldn't believe it, it's only 7 years old!!! Found this forum when looking into the issue, seeing there was a recall on the 2007 Compass for just this issue and seeing here that you guys are also dealing with this what is my best course of action??? I am actually in the process of filling out a NHTSA complaint right now but honestly Jeep should back our complaints, obviously there's a defect here!!!
captpt is offline  
post #12 of 39 Old 11-23-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpt View Post
Just had my daughter's 2008 Compass at our local Jeep service shop for it's regular oil change service and they told me her 2008 Compass has sub frame rot and it needs to be repaired soon.. I couldn't believe it, it's only 7 years old!!! Found this forum when looking into the issue, seeing there was a recall on the 2007 Compass for just this issue and seeing here that you guys are also dealing with this what is my best course of action??? I am actually in the process of filling out a NHTSA complaint right now but honestly Jeep should back our complaints, obviously there's a defect here!!!
Check your door sticker to see when it was manufactured. Mine is a 2008 but was manufactured in November 2007 and Jeep agreed to replace my front and rear cross member under a good will warranty with $100 deductible for each.

JeepCares is on this site and may be able to help you out. My oil pan was nearly rusted out also and I just replaced that.
Sdsjeep2008 is offline  
post #13 of 39 Old 01-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
 
Unhappy Front Crossmember Rot on 2007 Compass

I recently took my 2007 Compass in for an inspection (PA). It was failed because of front crossmember and subframe rot. I took it to the dealer because I knew that there was a extended warranty on the crossmembers. They told me the crossmembers would be covered but that all of the parts that are required to remove in order to replace them would not be covered if they were unable to remove them and reuse them. So, they said they soak the parts overnight to try to remove as much of the rust and loosen the parts the most they possibly could. BUT supposedly most if not all of the parts did not remove well and were not reusable. So, they said I would be responsible for all of those parts that needed to be replaced in order to put the crossmembers back in place. The total for all those "other" parts ended up being $1450 dollars (with a good portion of that being for labor). I contacted the Jeep warranty division and they told me because the crossmembers didn't cause the corrosion/rust on the other parts that that is why they do not cover them. BUT those parts would not have had to been removed if the crossmembers weren't prematurely rotted anyways. The person who works at the place that I had the car inspected originally was shocked that they did that and made me pay for those parts. My question is was I taken advantage of or is this standard practice? I really don't feel that I should have had to pay for the labor especially because it was in the shop for a warranted part that was bad. Please any advice would be much appreciated.
meg_626 is offline  
post #14 of 39 Old 01-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Senior Member
 
tripplec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belleville, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,897
 
Wow ripped off, you're not the first and others were not charged search for their posts.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tripplec is offline  
post #15 of 39 Old 01-11-2016, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 368
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg_626 View Post
I recently took my 2007 Compass in for an inspection (PA). It was failed because of front crossmember and subframe rot. I took it to the dealer because I knew that there was a extended warranty on the crossmembers. They told me the crossmembers would be covered but that all of the parts that are required to remove in order to replace them would not be covered if they were unable to remove them and reuse them. So, they said they soak the parts overnight to try to remove as much of the rust and loosen the parts the most they possibly could. BUT supposedly most if not all of the parts did not remove well and were not reusable. So, they said I would be responsible for all of those parts that needed to be replaced in order to put the crossmembers back in place. The total for all those "other" parts ended up being $1450 dollars (with a good portion of that being for labor). I contacted the Jeep warranty division and they told me because the crossmembers didn't cause the corrosion/rust on the other parts that that is why they do not cover them. BUT those parts would not have had to been removed if the crossmembers weren't prematurely rotted anyways. The person who works at the place that I had the car inspected originally was shocked that they did that and made me pay for those parts. My question is was I taken advantage of or is this standard practice? I really don't feel that I should have had to pay for the labor especially because it was in the shop for a warranted part that was bad. Please any advice would be much appreciated.
Hey meg_626,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Compass. I would advise you to bring TSB 23-012-14 to the attention of your servicing FCA dealership.

SUBJECT:
Front And Rear Crossmember Corrosion (X58 10 Years Unlimited Mileage)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting the front and rear crossmembers for perforation / rust
through and if necessary, replace the crossmember(s).
MODELS:
2007 PM Caliber
2007 MK Compass, Patriot
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after August 26, 2005 (MDH
0826XX) and on or before July 23, 2007 (MDH 0723XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a vibration at the steering wheel or may have been informed
by a technician or state vehicle inspection that the front and / or rear crossmember is
severely corroded.
JeepCares is online now  
post #16 of 39 Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
 
same here

been hearing noise from front past 2 days. Went to a mechanic buddy of mines shop and he lifted my 07 Jeep Compass 4x4 up. the front subframe is rusted terribly and falling apart in places. so bad on one side he said at any moment that side will snap and arm and few other things bolted to that side will just fall. he told me to immediately go to jeep dealership and have them lift it up and look at it. I did but they wouldn't even look at it, said they couldn't get me in until Thursday at earliest. I'm worried their not going to do much for me via extended warranty as I told them everything mechanic said and that I'm scared to drive it but they wouldn't even take a quick look at it. Who knows. I only know the basics about cars but when I saw it so rusted and all the cracks/holes in it I about crapped my pants. Jeep is only driven by girlfriend lightly to work and back/store/etc. 9 years old 94k miles. I sure hope they cover that cause Ive already had both arms replaced 3 years ago and few other front suspension stuff out of my pocket since I bought this new from them in early 07. Not a good first jeep purchase here was thinking about buying a new jeep this year too, not so sure now. Guess well see if they take care of me or not and go from there.
jaymart1125 is offline  
post #17 of 39 Old 01-19-2016, 08:57 PM
Senior Member
 
tripplec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belleville, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,897
 
There is at least one other thread on this board about this. Read this and search back for the other. You can take it to any dealer.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tripplec is offline  
post #18 of 39 Old 08-30-2016, 06:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3
 
sdsjeep2008

I have been speaking to Jeep Cares about my 2008 made in September 2007. They will not cover my rotted cross member. sdsjeep2008, do you have any case number or other info you would share. Jeep Cares is telling me they do not cover any 2008s unless they were made before July 2007.
JeffakaQ is offline  
post #19 of 39 Old 08-30-2016, 06:48 PM
Senior Member
 
tripplec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belleville, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,897
 
Without a location figure out who tracks safety issues. In Canada its Transport Canada and it separating may be ground for them to enforce a recall to affected vehicles.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tripplec is offline  
post #20 of 39 Old 08-31-2016, 06:52 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3
 
Hi sdsjeep2008

Do you have any case number or other info you would share? Jeep Cares is telling me they do not cover any 2008s unless they were made before July 2007.

Thanks
JeffakaQ is offline  
post #21 of 39 Old 09-02-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffakaQ View Post
Hi sdsjeep2008

Do you have any case number or other info you would share? Jeep Cares is telling me they do not cover any 2008s unless they were made before July 2007.

Thanks
No I don't have a case number. It's been over a year since I brought in the Jeep to have the Front crossmember replaced.
Sdsjeep2008 is offline  
post #22 of 39 Old 09-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
 
Hi guys, brand new to the forum here. I've got a 2009 compass that I've discovered to have the same issue as above. We took it into Pep Boys this weekend (they were the only thing open) due to some rattling. I've replaced both control arms, tie rods, and sway bar links on this, putting me already a grand down on the front end alone. Now this is happening. Is there any action I should take? I hesitate going right to the dealer because I've clearly seen this same rust pile underneath my car, so I know that's my issue. Seems the only thing I can do is buy one from online and hope that it's rust free, only to have this issue pop up in 7 years again.

I'm at the point where I can't keep throwing money at this piece, and am possibly looking at unloading it and stepping into something new. I really don't understand how this is ok with the company.
wiseheak is offline  
post #23 of 39 Old 09-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Senior Member
 
tripplec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belleville, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,897
 
You should still call Chrysler or Jeep customer support and complain about this and if the offer any action.

But certainly report this rust out of the key suspension to the local auto safety people in your country. A recall may be generated. Its only a matter of time before more instances occur in 2008 and 2009. Cheap steel in my opinion.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tripplec is offline  
post #24 of 39 Old 10-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
 
Yes- my hole cradle rusted out could have been deadly at 80mph jeep says not recalled or falls under extended warranty 1000$ cost also had outer tie rod ends replaced at 40000 mi
Now cv joints making noise at 73,000 mi front end inferior parts
Louie is offline  
post #25 of 39 Old 10-01-2016, 09:25 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
 
Did they?
Louie is offline  
post #26 of 39 Old 10-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdsjeep2008 View Post
A jeep representative "Jeep Cares", from another Jeep forum (may also be on this one) contacted me and extended the warranty to my vehicle. I noted that my vehicle was built in October of 2007 and most likely they used left over parts from 2007. I got the front subframe replaced under warranty with a $100 deductible and assurance that my rear subframe would be replaced when it is condemed. They gave me a case number for reference on the rear subframe.

The Jeep dealership in my area indicated it whould have been around $1000 to replace the front subframe. I've also seen them for sale used for around $400

I was happy that Jeep stepped up and did this for me.
Hope Jeep cares would help me out also....
Louie is offline  
post #27 of 39 Old 10-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
tripplec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belleville, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,897
 
No idea what country you're in REPORT this to the US or Canadian Auto Transport people. The can force a recall on safety defects and engineering. Even now!!!

You did not say if you called Customere relations at Chrysler either. YOU have to do it!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tripplec is offline  
post #28 of 39 Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1
 
2008 jeep compass cradle & oil rust

My 2008 Jeep is at the dealer right now. The entire cradle is rotted out and also the oil pan has to be replaced can't pass inspection. The whole thing is going to cost over $1600.00. My mechanic and others said that that should not have happened to either on a 2008 model. Called Jeep but no recalls etc on either, need car so have no choice.
MY08JEEPC is offline  
post #29 of 39 Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Western PA
Posts: 2
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I am sure a lot has to deal with the quality of the steel.

Watch out for your oil pan. Mine had quite a few rust spots which I noticed this spring doing my oil change. I cleaned it up as best I could and spray it well with a rust paint. An oil pan should never rust or worst rust through. I could cost anyone their engine if the oil was lost on a drive. Threw no fault of their own. Its a manufacturer problem they created.
I just had to replace my front subframe, lower control arms, bottom ball joints, outer tie rod ends, and the oil pan due to rust/rot. My Jeep is a 2008 Compass. I complained loudly to Chrysler, the BBB, the State Attorney General, and online in many forums. I also made several posts to Chrysler's facebook page. I just received a letter indicating that the warranty has been extended for my 2008 Compass to 10 years/unlimited mileage. They also sent me a form to have completed (since I already paid for the repairs) and return to them for reimbursement of my repair costs. It doesn't hurt to try!
Sandy is offline  
post #30 of 39 Old 03-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 272
 
I don't understand.. so many people have had this issue, why hasn't it become a recall?!
NorthStar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome