Weird Suspension Movement - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 05-31-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Weird Suspension Movement

My 07 Compass has 107,000 miles on it. The old fronts struts were totally shot so I replaced them. Now that the front end is not bouncing and banging around I started noticing under moderate acceleration when it sounds like it's shifting to a higher gear the whole front end seems to slide to the left. The wheels stay straight, it's like the body is shifting. It's a funny feeling for sure. Does it sound like the whole front end is shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 06:35 PM

Well I gather this wasn't happening before.

I would double check the bolts and mounting points (top of the tower and bottom) of the struts. Either something is loose or you've missed/have hardware left over putting it back together.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No, never happened before. I was able to get an appoinment for tomorrow at the local alignment shop. I guess they can figure it out. After reading a bunch of threads I thought maybe rear trackbar. I will tell the shop to tell me what's wrong so I can decide if I can fix it cheap cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-05-2015, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The shop said the 2 outer tie rods are shot. They said the torque from taking off prob loads it to the right and then when it shifts the torque falls off and it floats back to the left.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-05-2015, 01:59 PM

Tie rods have been a very high wear item on Compass as well as the A-arm ball joint. Not surprised its gone but I guess you don't know when they were last changed. Also with what? OEM part or aftermarket. The OEM won't last long at all.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-06-2015, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I know they will be replaced tomorrow with Moog tie rod ends as soon as I get home from work.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-08-2015, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I think there's still something else wrong here. I should have just changed everything and been done with it. The movement with acceleration and slowing down has been exaggerated with the new tie rod ends. I'll know by tomorrow, alignment at 9am.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-08-2015, 10:13 PM

Don't forget the tires. You could belt separation or some other fault on the pull wheel on the front. Rotate tires front to back as per the manual.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 12 Old 06-08-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
They put it on the rack again and lo and behold, a ball joint was bad. He said the control arm bushings were still in good shape so I told him to change the ball joint. My Jeep needs to be on the road. They changed it, aligned it and it drives perfectly now.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-09-2015, 02:10 PM

How could they miss the ball joints. Its a known problem with these from day one. Easiest to check as well and part of the A-arms. Mine seemed to last longer than most but maybe because of the roads or care driving on rough surfaces. Both are aftermarket now.

Inner and outer tie rod ends can go but not nearly as fast as the ball joints. It had to be very bad with the symptoms you had.

Amazing the mechanic did not get reamed by the manager!! Good to hear its done now.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #11 of 12 Old 06-10-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I think they were scheming. They were going to suck me in with the tie rod ends and then add ball joint for a bigger payday. Only thing is I told them I would do the tie rod ends. Then they still sucked me in with the ball joint because I needed my Jeep on the road.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-04-2018, 06:07 AM

My wife's 2009 Compass has 106,000 KMs and it's in its third set of ball joints/control arms, the original and now a second replacement. the 3rd set lasted 2 years only. Mopar should have covered them on an extended warranty...

Last edited by rreader; 08-04-2018 at 06:08 AM. Reason: error

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in