Compass slows significantly when I let off the gas - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sdsjeep2008

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2015, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Compass slows significantly when I let off the gas

Hi. I have a 2014 Compass 4x4 with the 6-speed automatic and about 7,000 miles. I've only owned it for a few weeks. What I notice is that when I let off of the gas pedal, I can feel the car slow down markedly, like the feeling you'd get if the brakes were being gently applied. Every other vehicle I've ever owned with an automatic generally feels like its freewheeling and just coasting when I let off of the gas. But this car literally feels like the brake is being depressed, or like a manual transmission would feel as its using engine compression to decelerate. This sensation is felt at any speed, from letting off the gas at 70 mph on the freeway, down to letting off the gas at 20 mph on city streets. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal for the 6-speed auto? I'm somewhat worried that a brake may be dragging, however, the vehicle tracks straight as an arrow when driving, and you'd think a stuck pad would cause a pull in one direction or another. Opinions anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 03:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGG View Post
Hi. I have a 2014 Compass 4x4 with the 6-speed automatic and about 7,000 miles. I've only owned it for a few weeks. What I notice is that when I let off of the gas pedal, I can feel the car slow down markedly, like the feeling you'd get if the brakes were being gently applied. Every other vehicle I've ever owned with an automatic generally feels like its freewheeling and just coasting when I let off of the gas. But this car literally feels like the brake is being depressed, or like a manual transmission would feel as its using engine compression to decelerate. This sensation is felt at any speed, from letting off the gas at 70 mph on the freeway, down to letting off the gas at 20 mph on city streets. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal for the 6-speed auto? I'm somewhat worried that a brake may be dragging, however, the vehicle tracks straight as an arrow when driving, and you'd think a stuck pad would cause a pull in one direction or another. Opinions anyone?
I experience the same on my 2008 Compass CVT. From what I've read, that's normal.
GaryGG likes this.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! Mine is the 6-speed, not the CVT, but the more I drive it, I can actually feel the car shifting down as it slows. I believe you are correct that this is normal and I no longer suspect a brake dragging. I guess I'm just used to the old-school automatics that just sort of went into freewheel mode when you let off the gas. Apparently the computer in this car knows when it's time to shift down and does it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGG View Post
Hey GaryGG,

Unfortunately, I could not find any service bulletins related to your vehicles behavior. I would advise you to bring this behavior to the attention of your local certified FCA dealership. If the concern is easily replicated, a diagnosis can be given. Please donít hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:48 PM

It's apparently normal. I have the exact same model as you (2014 Jeep Compass 2.4l 6-speed auto 4x4) and it does not coast whatsoever... it engine breaks quite a bit.. which does feel like a Manual lol... I've learned to accept it. It can be annoying at times when you're trying to maintain slower pace.. and it jumps down a gear when your ready to give it gas...
Old 12-29-2015, 10:49 PM

Hey. I have the same year as well and have the same "problem". Dealer said it was normal when I took it to them. I don't mind it except I think it may hurt the gas mileage a little bit when coasting and then trying to accelerate again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in