Breaking while in 4-wheel dr - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Breaking while in 4-wheel dr

Hello everybody I bought a 2007 Jeep Compass back in May of 2015 it's a 4wheel drive , 2.4 and a 5 speed, I put in 4 wheel when I bought it just to make sure it worked, and it did, anyhow we finally got a little snow here in mid-Missouri this morning and I go out to have a little fun, so I lock in the 4 wheel and turn off the ESP button leave the driveway to a street that hasn't been cleared yet hit the gas and swerve back and forth for a while and when I come to the stop sign i hit the brakes an it Jeep doesn't exactly stop like i think it should, what i mean it starts to buffet or a ratcheting type of sensation the best way to describe this is if you have ever driven a car that the brake pads are so worn out their grinding on the rotors except i don't get the noise but when I was on a cleared street everything worked fine. Is this some kind of ABS thing or something else? Has anybody had this issue? I have driven full sized pickup trucks and never had this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-10-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
update

UPDATE it doesn't have to be in 4wheel at all, you deffinatly feel it through the brake pedal though.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-11-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketsnake View Post
Hello everybody I bought a 2007 Jeep Compass back in May of 2015 it's a 4wheel drive , 2.4 and a 5 speed, I put in 4 wheel when I bought it just to make sure it worked, and it did, anyhow we finally got a little snow here in mid-Missouri this morning and I go out to have a little fun, so I lock in the 4 wheel and turn off the ESP button leave the driveway to a street that hasn't been cleared yet hit the gas and swerve back and forth for a while and when I come to the stop sign i hit the brakes an it Jeep doesn't exactly stop like i think it should, what i mean it starts to buffet or a ratcheting type of sensation the best way to describe this is if you have ever driven a car that the brake pads are so worn out their grinding on the rotors except i don't get the noise but when I was on a cleared street everything worked fine. Is this some kind of ABS thing or something else? Has anybody had this issue? I have driven full sized pickup trucks and never had this problem.
Hey jaketsnake,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Compass. Have you looked to see if your vehicle has open recalls? You may do so by accessing this link: Safety Recall Information | MOPAR. Please contact me via private message, if you have any further questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-11-2016, 08:00 PM

Caliper pistons can hang up internal. Not seized but not it doesn't release fully. I've replace one of my rears calipers because of this. Its easy to discover as the pad on that rotor wears very fast.
The ABS action does always give an erratic stopping experience and there are different systems exist used. They are not the same exactly. This is a light vehicle as well.

Condition of brakes makes a difference under a locking ABS activated stress.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 01-11-2016 at 08:02 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-18-2016, 11:10 PM

It's the stock tires from the dealership and what you're hearing is tires sliding on ice/snow and ABS is kicking in. I have the same problem.. Effin scary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in