Rear brake noise - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By db2016jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Rear brake noise

Hey my girlfriend has a 14 Compass Latitude 2WD 15k, the rear brakes are drums and squeak when you slow down, around 15-0mph. Has anyone had this issue before? I've taken it to the local dealer for an oil change before and asked them to look at the brakes but they want to charge us diag time for that which is ridiculous. I was curious if anyone here has had this squeaking issue before and what they did to resolve it. The problem occurred after an oil change visit with a tire rotation. We brought it back immediately and they said they didn't touch the brakes. I believe them but it never made that noise the first 10k miles so why did it start now? Any insight would be helpful, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-31-2016, 04:05 PM

Just realized you're not having disc brakes in the rear and also no ABS. I didn't think they made them anymore. More likely rust then. They don't seem to warranty brakes more than 20k which is absurd. If its the front rotors if not warped will last a 100k depending on use. Sitting a lot causes rust pitting to set in. Rear pads used to squeak when cold baking up because of the cheap pads. I switched to ceramic for the rears and they never squeak.

15k it should be covered!! What kind of dealer are you working with. Fill in your signature for full details as its easier to figure out what you have and where you are.

Call customer relations at Jeep. Have them look at it. How long have you had it with only 15k on it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 03-31-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: vehicle configuration did not match my answer, Drum brakes
post #3 of 9 Old 03-31-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub9 View Post
Hey my girlfriend has a 14 Compass Latitude 2WD 15k, the rear brakes are drums and squeak when you slow down, around 15-0mph. Has anyone had this issue before? I've taken it to the local dealer for an oil change before and asked them to look at the brakes but they want to charge us diag time for that which is ridiculous. I was curious if anyone here has had this squeaking issue before and what they did to resolve it. The problem occurred after an oil change visit with a tire rotation. We brought it back immediately and they said they didn't touch the brakes. I believe them but it never made that noise the first 10k miles so why did it start now? Any insight would be helpful, thank you.
Hey gdub9,

Does your vehicle squeak consistently or intermittently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-31-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Intermittently, some days more than others

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 03-31-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Just realized you're not having disc brakes in the rear and also no ABS. I didn't think they made them anymore. More likely rust then. They don't seem to warranty brakes more than 20k which is absurd. If its the front rotors if not warped will last a 100k depending on use. Sitting a lot causes rust pitting to set in. Rear pads used to squeak when cold baking up because of the cheap pads. I switched to ceramic for the rears and they never squeak.

15k it should be covered!! What kind of dealer are you working with. Fill in your signature for full details as its easier to figure out what you have and where you are.

Call customer relations at Jeep. Have them look at it. How long have you had it with only 15k on it.
Yeah my old service manager from when I worked at nissan is the warranty manager at our local dealer. He said he'd warranty it out if need be. That'll probably be what we do. I was just trying to find out if anyone has had this issue before and what they did to fix it. It's ridiculous that a 2014 has drum brakes, it's ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 Old 04-01-2016, 01:51 PM

I would not drive anything with drum brakes anymore. Even my old Grand Cherokee and Astrovan AWD 2002 and 1996 were disc with ABS. There is not comparison to that. Controlling a vehicle in the winter without ABS takes an extremely skilled driver and even then without rear disc brakes its very hard.

Odds are if its in a winter climate it isn't going to last. An accident is very likely and then they're a write off. They suffer so much collision damage it won't be repaired.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-02-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I would not drive anything with drum brakes anymore. Even my old Grand Cherokee and Astrovan AWD 2002 and 1996 were disc with ABS. There is not comparison to that. Controlling a vehicle in the winter without ABS takes an extremely skilled driver and even then without rear disc brakes its very hard.

Odds are if its in a winter climate it isn't going to last. An accident is very likely and then they're a write off. They suffer so much collision damage it won't be repaired.
Um no its not. Had a 2000 Civic lowered, rear drum brakes, on blizzaks. Car got around fine, better than 4x4s. It's not hard to drive in snow as long as you're not speeding around like its dry out.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-29-2017, 12:49 AM

Garage
Compass and patriot rear drum brake noise

I have a 2016 Jeep Patriot 75th anniv edition. Love the vehicle but not the noisy rear brakes. The local Jeep dealership was a waste of time and gave the usual answers. I can't blame dealers/techs any more because the pay they get is so bad that they don't want to waste time on small things such as this. They want the big jobs where they can put money in the pocket.

With that said, I was not having much luck in talking with other places (independent shops, etc) as they too show very little interest in dealing with brake issues unless it's just to throw parts at the car and move on to the next one. So I took to the internet to look for answers on my own. After doing so, I had a friend who is somewhat mechanically inclined, put my Patriot up on the rack. We pulled the rear wheels, removed the rear drums (with just a little help of spray lube) and when we took the drum off there was a lot of brake dust packed all over inside the drum and brake shoes/springs. He clearly stated that all that brake dust WOULD cause the brake noise I was having. To top it off, there wasn't a drop of lube anywhere to be found EVEN THOUGH THE DEALERSHIP SAID THEY LUBED THEM!! They didn't or they didn't remove the drums and instead just blew air through the openings in hopes it would clean them.

Well, with the (free) help of a buddy and about 30 minutes total, my Jeep rear brakes are quiet as a church mouse. We totally cleaned the drums and all around the shoes and hardware. Once that was done, we used brake lube (for temperature, etc) and he lubed everything up well being very careful not to get anything on the shoes/contact surfaces. Again it was easy, fast and worth every second. Don't trust anyone/dealers to help here. Find a good mechanic from the old days. Be nice, ask them to help, and then hand them a $20 and a cold 6-pack of their favorite beer. You won't go wrong.
Chief77 likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-12-2018, 03:29 PM

My 2016 Compass has squealed since I purchased it with 16,000 miles on it, especially when it has rained outside. The back brakes make more noise than the front. I took it back to the dealership within weeks of purchasing it and they said it is a common problem. When I asked how am I supposed to know when my brakes need replacing since the noise is the same all they could say is we will check your brakes for free each time you get an oil change and they have at least three times. Each time they say the brakes are fine. I am sick of the embarrassing noise so I am trading the car in!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in