06 Compass Noises - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

06 Compass Noises

Original owner 06 Compass. Front passenger side noise going over bumps. 48,000 miles - sounds like suspension but no visible problems. Tires few thousand miles w/no uneven wear. No vibration. Recently changed front breaks (not at dealer) but noise still exist. Dealer's says noises are hard to diagnose and to basically ignore it until it gets worse! Appears front end problems are common in the Compass. Don't want dealer to 'repair' at $$$$ and still have problem. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 PM

Garage
must be one of those early concept compass models, before they released them to the general public for the 2007 MY
post #3 of 6 Old 06-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Have you checked your front suspension bushings? Other than shocks/struts, those will make a similar noise when the bushings are worn. That's where I'd look first and those are relatively inexpensive and not difficult to do. BTW, welcome to the forum, be sure to stop by the newbie section and introduce yourself!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2011, 09:29 PM

Cheryl Ann:

When you say "noise", do you mean a squeak or maybe a clunk? Or perhaps some other description?

Steve
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 AM

Garage
Ok, my friends. If you are like me I like a quiet ride so from time to time I check my car for sources of noise. Here's what I found. If the noise appears to be coming from the left side and sounds kind of like pvc tubes being banged together then most likely it is not from your suspension. I have a '07 and '06, '07 are basically the same. If this sound I mentioned comes from the driver's side, check the air filter mounts and the computer.

Believe it or not, the three bushings holding the air filter housing make a lot of noise. Yes it is made of rubber so it should be quiet right? NO !!!! Remove the air filter housing completely to expose the three rubber bushings. With your hand or a small rubber hammer, bang (lightly) on the black steel bracket and you will hear the noise I'm talking about. As for the computer, there are only three screws that mount the part to its bracket and because of this, it rattles when your tire runs over a rough pavement. To remove the noise, apply silicone atv around the bushings and between the computer bracket and the computer itself. YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID ! The noise will disappear. Other sources of noise is the plastic engine cover. The little ball headed mounting screws become loose and cause rattles. Don't overtighten as it is made of hard plastic lest it will crack.

Also check your glove compartment if the noise appears to be coming from the right or passenger side. I found a flashlight and a gas lighter in my compartment that was making a racket.

Last edited by jeepney_driver; 06-27-2011 at 08:05 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 05:04 PM

Turn up the music or does it make noise as well rather then sweet sounds? LOL

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in