Ride... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 08-15-2017, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Ride...

Our 2017 1st Gen Compass has a rough ride! I am going to do the RRO lift and change out the tires. Has anyone had good success with any particular change out of shocks?

Art - Nothing better than a Jeep!
2015 Wrangler Sahara Altitude Edition
2017 Compass - 1st Gen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-20-2017, 01:43 PM

Garage
Hi,

"Rough ride" isn't very descriptive. 1st gens ride fairly well IMO. Being a 2017 I'd consider the possibility of a defective suspension bushing causing binding. Try driving at low speed over something like a parking lot speed bump - is the front or rear suspension stiffer that the other? If so a suspension inspection is in order.
Secondly, I'm thinking/guessing that by 'rough ride' you mean harsh response to small impacts such as road imperfections. Because it is a '17, if you haven't already, check that the tire pressures are correct. FCA dealers are crappy; they charge for pre-delivery inspections but don't actually do anything, typically. I've seen new FCA vehicles with harsh ride caused merely by over-pressurized tires.
Third, of course, tires themselves are a big factor. FCA doesn't put on high quality tires except for special models. Some of the tires they use are quite bad IMO. You've mentioned changing tires so you should put some thought into what you choose. Specifically look at load index and tire type ie P-metric or LT.
Fourth, tire size. OEM these vehicles may have 16" to 18" tires. I personally think that for this size and weight of vehicle, this suspension design, and presumably some mild off-road use, 16" are the best choice. If more focused toward off road then 15" are an option. 17" or 18"s would be on-road only IMO.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-21-2017, 12:19 AM

Won't a lift make the ride more uncomfortable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-22-2017, 01:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelin View Post
Won't a lift make the ride more uncomfortable?
The RRO lift shouldn't affect the ride. It is just spacers on top of the front struts/rear shocks and springs. The suspension isn't really changed at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in