Interesting Braking noise - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 10-24-2017, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Interesting Braking noise

Well this is my first post here and hi everyone. Now i have a 2010 compass with 63000 kms all highway. Its a great jeep but have a strange metal grinding noise when braking. Say in a 50 foot stop it will be loud for the last 10 feet. It has disks on the front and drums in the back. It seems the noize is from the back. I figured mabe pads but took the drums off earlier tonight and all looks great inside. Almost new. Pads are good and drums are good. Strange as the noise has been there since i bought the jeep with 28000 kms and usually not really loud. Last week i got new tires and after i got it out noise is way louder. No noise when driving just braking. Any ideas. Thankx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Garage
Have you inspected the front pads/rotors? I definitely recommend checking them, do a visual and also feel for any scratches/grooves on the disks to see if the pads are worn down enough to create metal to metal contact, especially the inner pad/rotor that you can’t see.

Photographer: “you blinked”

Me: “No I didn’t blink...I’m just Asian”
post #3 of 4 Old 10-25-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Well i researched into this and its a common thing. So i took the drums off earlier and used a whole can of brake cleaner and skuffed up pads and rotors with light sand paper, Took it for a quick drive and noise is gone so i am hoping it lasts. It was really bad and to a point where it was undriveable. Fronts seem to be ok and first thing i did when i got it was change the front pads as they are easy not like back pads,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-28-2017, 11:55 PM

Garage
noisy rear brakes

Hey Richardk.

Just last night I finally found the culprit to my 2016 Jeep Patriot. Don't bother with the dealers. If you already know how to remove the rear drums, you are on track to getting rid of your issue. It sounds like you may have already fixed it. The only thing I didn't read is if you used a quality brake lube on the mechanical parts as well as between the brake shoes and the plate behind them. Just be careful not to get any lube on the contact (braking) surfaces. The noise you are/were getting is caused by two things: first, the build up of brake dust/particles. Second, the lack of proper lubrication. Do both and you should be a happy camper.

Dan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in