08 driving bad - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2018, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Question 08 driving bad

Hi all,

My GF got a Compass 2008 last summer. Its been great except for one thing. It was wearing tires on the inside. We then replaced both upper and lower control arm (rear) and recently got it aligned. It is swaying left and right on the road and I feel like it is dangerous to drive. Any clue what would be causing this ? Stabilizer bars ? Toe link ? TIA !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-14-2018, 11:33 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

1) Did you do a 4-wheel alignment?
2) Rusty sub-frames are an issue on some of the early years. It may not be supporting the alignment.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-14-2018, 12:02 PM

Garage
wheel bearings?

2018 Compass Latitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-14-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
2) Rusty sub-frames are an issue on some of the early years. It may not be supporting the alignment.
4 wheel alignment AFAIK. There where red dots on the former worned out tires. Also, I changed the arms with my dad and we inspected the mounting point and everything was pretty solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
wheel bearings?
Wheels were spinning freely if I recalled correctly. This is a regular tempoed left-right sways, like it's "snaking" on the road.

I wasn't the one that went for the alignment maybe it wasnt done correctly? The Jeep was aligned 2 weeks ago but it had time to go throught the rear tires before so I changed them yesterday night and went for a test Drive. I do not drive her vehicule very often so can't Say if it was this way before I changed the tires.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 10:51 AM

Squirmy . . . that makes me think tires. The one-sided wear was probably corrected by the alignment, presuming the shop is competent, and I believe most are. If you got off-brand tires they may have weak sidewalls, hence the wandering. Before the days of belted tires all cars had a sway and drivers were constantly correcting -- it was just part of the driving experience. Fiberglass belts and later steel belts have largely eliminated that, but cheap tires will still squirm around.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 04:19 PM

GF -

See my post about the same problem on an '08 here: https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...1-compass.html

"....I've been getting quite a bit of torque steer (to the left on acceleration) and then to the right (upon the CVT changing the ratio once reaching cruising speed, or letting up on the gas quickly). Is anyone else experiencing something similar to this on an older, high-mileage Compass or Patriot?

I mean the car REALLY squirms back and forth under those conditions. Once at a steady speed / engine RPM, the car drives fine.

I'm assuming that it might be broken or tired engine mounts changing the geometry of the front suspension / axle shafts as the motor rotates farther than original factory specs. I'm not getting any kind of traditional engine "clunking" like you'd get on older rear-drive vehicles, so I'm suspecting that the new style mounts (oil filled) are just losing their strength when the engine is under load, and allowing the motor to move."

I've got good tires and struts, and both my front and rear sub-frames were replaced on Chrysler's dime.

According to the Jeep dealer, I may need one control arm (BOTH have been replaced twice already! Sheesh!), and while I'm sure I need an alignment (it pulls consistently to the left), that doesn't explain all the "squirming" the car's doing.

Please let me know if you find out the magic solution for your car, since it sounds SO much like my issue too!

Thanks!

-CSM

Last edited by CompassSportMan; 11-15-2018 at 04:23 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-16-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassSportMan View Post
"....I've been getting quite a bit of torque steer (to the left on acceleration) and then to the right (upon the CVT changing the ratio once reaching cruising speed, or letting up on the gas quickly). Is anyone else experiencing something similar to this on an older, high-mileage Compass or Patriot?
I had an '08 Patriot that I took to nearly 300,000 miles. Never had that problem. Frankly, the 2.4 isn't exactly a powerhouse so I'm a little surprised it could generate much torque-steer. Then again, Patriots are fairly light vehicles.

My previous Grand Prix had a lot more torque and definitely had torque-steer, but that kinda goes with the territory. I just learned to expect it and correct for it.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-26-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It wasn't in the end.
Quote:
, presuming the shop is competent, and I believe most are.
Maybe most are but this one wasn't. Went somewhere else and now drives like a charm. It was close to 1" off on one side!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in