Rear end squeak - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 08-30-2011, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear end squeak

Hello all,

I've been noticing a rather consistent squeak coming from the rear suspension when running over sharp bumps. Checking underneath I noticed the upper control arms on both sides have some horizontal play (wiggleable). A mechanic friend suggested the stabilizer bar bushings are more likely the culprit. Any suggestions or insight are appreciated!

2007 Jeep Compass Sport
4X4 2.4L 4-inline VVT
123,000km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-30-2011, 06:21 PM

The various suspenion components are highly susceptible to failure and the 2007 quite early. You'd be wise to replace the affected arms with play before your tires suffer permanent damage. Its almost necessary to do a front end wheel play check at each oil change. Ball joints and tie rods failure are extremely common and if yours are original then you've been extremely luckly thus far.

Have him check the front end its quite easy on the hoist.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Had the same wiggle, replaced both upper control arms by meself.(sic)

The outer attachment is a nut and bolt, the inner is a bolt thru a captive nut. The inner bolt backs out towards the front of the vehicle. Install the inner bolt snug, use a crescent wrench to rotate the control arm to line up the outer bolt hole.

Be sure to torque the bolts/nuts TIGHT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.becker View Post
Hello all,

I've been noticing a rather consistent squeak coming from the rear suspension when running over sharp bumps. Checking underneath I noticed the upper control arms on both sides have some horizontal play (wiggleable). A mechanic friend suggested the stabilizer bar bushings are more likely the culprit. Any suggestions or insight are appreciated!

2007 Jeep Compass Sport
4X4 2.4L 4-inline VVT
123,000km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys,

tripplec: I'll heed your warning, and I intend on doing the switch as soon as possible. The tires so far aren't showing any unusual wear so far, and I checked all 4 wheels for play and found none in any components, but I'll certainly keep my eyes on them! Seems from your signature that you haven't had the best luck with the compass!

Steve: thanks for the advice! I snagged a service manual off ebay for it and I'll be sure to torque those bolts to spec for sure!

Cheers!

2007 Jeep Compass Sport
4X4 2.4L 4-inline VVT
123,000km
post #5 of 14 Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys,

tripplec: I'll heed your warning, and I intend on doing the switch as soon as possible. The tires so far aren't showing any unusual wear so far, and I checked all 4 wheels for play and found none in any components, but I'll certainly keep my eyes on them! Seems from your signature that you haven't had the best luck with the compass!

Steve: thanks for the advice! I snagged a service manual off ebay for it and I'll be sure to torque those bolts to spec for sure!

Cheers!

2007 Jeep Compass Sport
4X4 2.4L 4-inline VVT
123,000km
Yes a work in progress keeping on top of issues. After about 15 or so visits they cannot get the dash indicator to reflect the outside temperature correctly or change with the temperature. Unbelieve, given up on that one now and 20,000k later but just got new CVT installed the bigger issues started over a year ago.

Owner manual (shop type) is nearly a must for this beast. Nothing is easy to get at except the oil filter and spark plugs.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's rough. I've only owned my vehicle for about 5mo's now, and this is one only two issues I've had. I had the vehicle looked at today and it seems the upper control arms are the most probable and at 102.00 a peice as just parts I'll get it done soon and hopefully all will be silent!

Yes, the service manual, though hard to find cheap-is a must and the one I have was very well done. Better images than my local dealer seems to use!

Good luck with your Jeep!
post #7 of 14 Old 09-13-2011, 12:04 AM

Which manual publication did you get. Does it look good. Troubleshooting the electrical system on this is near impossible without the schematic due to the TIPM and other computerized controllers. Simple process in other jeeps or brand are not applicable here.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 14 Old 09-13-2011, 01:15 PM

It might pay back to take the time to spray each bushing with WD40, one at a time, and test to see which is actually squeaking. It may not be the upper control arms although they are known to deteriorate to the point of needing replacement.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-13-2011, 03:15 PM

I wouldn't use WD40. Lithium grease is what they'd use if necessary. If you can get it to squeak rocking it while parked one corner at a time you might be able to isolate the source or have them isolate it. If its repeatable that way they have to fix it. Assuming you have warranty. I am near the end of mine and noises from my front struts. They're going to replace them (just in the nick of time I'd say).

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 14 Old 09-30-2011, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry for the delay in reply, the publication I have is the electronic version of the factory manual created for the compass. I snagged it off eBay; for only $5.00 I have a complete set of DIY everything for my 2007 compass. It's a program that uses explorer an it's a little touch and go (need to reload everytime you want to see another page) frustrating...but you get what you pay for. Beats the DVD that goes for ~$150! Fantastic pictures though, and I think it has one or 2 pages of the electric schematic, I think.

As a continuation of the WD40 suggestion, I admire the advice. My mechanic did that (though with a lithium or silicone lube) to help isolate the problem. He ended up using a stethoscope and proble to pinpoint that it's indeed the upper control arms. Just in case you haven't been told before, Steve, WD40 actually degrades rubber and ruins bushings. Good overall idea though.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-30-2011, 01:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Sorry for the delay in reply, the publication I have is the electronic version of the factory...............................has one or 2 pages of the electric schematic, I think.

As a continuation of the WD40 suggestion, I admire the advice. My mechanic did that (though with a lithium or silicone lube) to help isolate the problem. He ended up using a stethoscope and proble to pinpoint that it's indeed the upper control arms. Just in case you haven't been told before, Steve, WD40 actually degrades rubber and ruins bushings. Good overall idea though.

Any recomendation for lithium or silicone lube?????
After a huge hole (really was a monster geologic fault) that i hit couple of weeks ago i have a rear noise. I went to a mechanic, he check the alignment after change a bushing in the front suspension, but the rear noise is still there, i use myself WD40 to reduce this noise but nothing happen, im looking forward to look into the letf shock upper cup (i thing i need to remove all plastic covers inside the truck...mmmm). A friend told me that sometimes after a huge bump some of the rubber/metalic washer just goes off broken.

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #12 of 14 Old 09-30-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hello Billy,

It's too bad you tried wd40 already as many have blundered before, but the best would be silicone. As far as the rear squeak goes for me-my mechanic described the rubber bushing turning inside the control arm joint. You can spray it with all the lube you want, and it won't change a damn thing in that case. Replacement of the failing part is required.

Hope that helps.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-30-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Steve, WD40 actually degrades rubber and ruins bushings. Good overall idea though.
I did not know that. On the other hand, from what I've experienced using WD40 on my Compass can hardly degrade rubber bushings that are crap to begin with. I can only imagine the pennies saved by using a rubber type material that is of a sub standard durometer. Lest I forget, they are all engineered to fail at some point, they could have looked at 100,000 miles instead of 20,000.

I'll use a silicone based lube next time out.

Thanks.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-01-2011, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Fair enough, that premature failure of certain components is definitely unnecessary. If they went with good materials though, we would a) have a more care-free ride b) pay more [cause we don't already pay enough] and c) have fewer adventures crawling around scratching our heads about what the [email protected]!k is making that noise?! haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in