Low Fuel Light - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 12-23-2006, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Low Fuel Light

Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed that when the low fuel light comes on, you REALLY are low. As in you need to find a station in the next 20km or so? When that light comes on, you don't have much time....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-23-2006, 08:40 PM

I have not noticed that, but one thing I am not happy with is the fact that it tells you how many km's until empty, and once it's getting close to empty, it just says 'low fuel'. I would rather know the exact amt, not just 'low fuel'
post #3 of 6 Old 12-27-2006, 10:09 PM

I tested this "Low Fuel" orange lamp and the computer's indicator or remaining autonomy.

At about 48 kms remaining (according to the on-board computer), the autonomy meter changes to low fuel instead of the remaining kms. I checked this for 3 tanks now. And this is a bit too much conservative. The real remaining autonomy is about 75 kms, maximum from my deductions but it's hard to test.

At about 8 liters (they say so in the driver's manual, and it's about real, I checked when I refueled) remaining in the fuel tank, the orange indicator in the dash lits up letting you know that the fuel tank is about empty. Personally, I don't think 8 liters is very low, but then, its my opinion.

So if you do about 12,5 liters or so per 100 km, the real remaining autonomy is about 64 kms.

The most I filled up is 51.7 liters (the tank is 51.1 liters. The 0.6 liter overfill must be the fuel pipe from the tank to the place I put the fuel pump) and the motor did not miss fire at all on my way to the gas station, but I'm pretty sure it was very close to doing so since the fuel was so low.

In other words, add about 30 kms or so to the remaining autonomy from the on board computer and you're about it.

RedVortex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-28-2006, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

I don't have the onboard computer... so no nice tire pressure display, compass, etc. Yes, my Compass doesn't even have a compass in it. The low fuel light came on again last night, we drove about 8 km and filled with 46 liters. So I'm not as concerned anymore.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-28-2006, 01:38 PM

I hate doing the math to metric :lol:

You know I have noticed the same thing with the low light, you have to stop and get some gas soon!! And even worse when you are stuck in big time traffic going 2mph eating up the gas.

It's funny this morning I went to go stop for gas, just as soon as I pulled into the station the low gas light came on. Took 12.008 Gallons and if I remember right it's a 14 gallon tank that leaves 2 gallons of gas.
The computer has been telling me my AVG MPG is about 22.
44 miles here in Dallas can find you a gas station no problem, but I could see this catching someone on a long road trip off guard
post #6 of 6 Old 12-28-2006, 09:48 PM

I've noticed that after I have less than 30 miles of distance left, the low fuel light will come on and stay on. I've been averaging adding less than 12 US gallons (based on 23 mpg) to the 13.2 gallon fuel tank. I'd rather fuel up within 10 miles after the warning then take a change and be out of gas completely. There should be warning intervals on the EVIC every 5 miles to let you know that you are really going to run out of fuel (light should turn red at 10 miles).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in