2010 Compass -A 29,000 mile review/roundup from tie rod ends to tires - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 01-28-2012, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

2010 Compass -A 29,000 mile review/roundup from tie rod ends to tires

Hello all,
I am new to this forum. I wanted to give a brief review of my 2010 Compass after 29,000 miles of ownership, listing "the good, the bad and the ugly", (older folks will appreciate this expression) to see if others can relate to my own experiences with the Jeep Compass.

To begin with the good:
Along with the Patriot is the most inexpensive all wheel drive SUV on the market by at least several thousand doillars. Overall fit, finish, features and driveability is quite good (except for driver visibility--see comments below).

Also, because it is a 4 cyclinder (as opposed to many of the other SUV's which are 6 cylinders) the gas mileage is very good.

The bad:
The biggest negative of the 2010 Compass is by far the driver visibility, especially the vibibility when backing up is absolutely horrible. The headrests (both driver and passenger) block out probaly 70 percent of the rear visibility, and the small rear windows and back window along with the small side mirrors (which do not stick out far enough to provide good rear visibilty) compound the problem. Add to this the upper height of the front winshield is too low, which means that when you pull up close to a light you cant even see it (and mind you I am of average male height, roughly 5'9"). In short, the windows are too small and therefore the visibilty on the Compass is very poor, in my opinion. And this, by the way, is where the Jeep Patriot is superior to the Compass, because its "boxy" style and shape the windows are significantly larger, offering a much better view in all directions.

Needed new Tie Rod Ends: (29,000) What is up with the Jeep Patriot and Compass Tie Rod Ends? I notice that a good number of the folks on the various Jeep forums are complaining about having to replace them (both left and right sides) after only a year or two, and in my case at 29,000 miles---and this on a Jeep that has hardly been off-road but a few times, and even then quite "gingerly"....

The Ugly:
Additionally, the Firestone Affinity tires that mine came with offer poor traction (in my opinion), and wore out pretty quickly (I just had to replace them at 29,000). The tread design is not even in the least bit "aggressive" and seems much more suitable for a passenger car than an all wheel drive Jeep 4x4. I mean this is a Jeep for goodness sakes and the Affinity tires look like they should be on my grandmothers Buick.

I ended up getting the more "aggressive" Goodyear Wrangler SR-A 215-65-R17---the "65" is a small step up from the standard 60, and according to Jeep is the largest allowable size. According to what I have read though apparently these tires don't last all that long either (roughly 35,000), but at least the tread and tires look like 4X4 tires, and the white "Goodyear" lettering on the sides is sharp looking.

One other thing I would like to see in the Compass is I wish that it would sit a little higher off the ground (ie- more ground clearance). According to Jeep the ground clearance is a little over 8 inches...I'd like to see at least 10 inches personally.

All in all, I like my Compass, but to be honest, I do wish I bought the "brother" of the Compass--that is the Patriot, because of the visibility issue mentioned above.

I would love to hear if others have similar experinces/opinions with the Compass.

Best wishes to all-
G. Dallaire

-Webmaster of St Gemma Galgani

Last edited by gdallaire; 01-29-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: edit spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 PM

I have a 2011 4WD. After a few weeks I got used to the visibility issues, but my wife hasn't. She prefers her 2009 Patriot for seeing, but likes mine for handling.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-28-2012, 08:10 PM

29,00 mile revue

I've had my 2010 Compass for one month now and right away noticed the rear vision problem, so I avoid having to back up as much as possible. Also the left and right sides of the windshield uprights are very thick and hamper the view. Other than those issues I'm very pleased with the car so far, it has 24,000 plus miles on it now. I've checked the gas mileage on 2 tanks of gas and that was dissapointing, 18mpg on the first tankful and 14mpg on the on the second tankful. I do very little highway driving but I think I should get a little better gas mileage than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Mr D.....glad you found us.......pretty impressive first post I must admit.

My question to you is did you have a test ride prior to buying?? Right away the negatives would have hit you no ???

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
Welcome to the forum Mr D.....glad you found us.......pretty impressive first post I must admit.

My question to you is did you have a test ride prior to buying?? Right away the negatives would have hit you no ???
Hi Feel for Life,
-Great point! Actually, I did'nt really notice the visibility problem when I took the test drive, because for me at least there is kind of a "sensory overload" when I am driving a new car for the first time, because one's attention is on so many different things at once when doing a short test drive.

It was only afterwards that I noticed the visibility problem. and, as far as the Affinity tires, well they looked ok, although I did notice that they were not the usual 4x4 aggressive type tread.

But, I hope I haven't given the impression that I don't like my Compass, because overall I do. Its just that there are some things that I think would make it even better.

I would like to also thank Rockfisher and Blackberry for their comments.
Best wishes!
G. Dallaire
post #6 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 06:09 AM

Garage
Welcome to the club! The compass is not really a real jeep IMO, its more of a 4x4 caliber with a different body (which underneath it is a caliber). So unless u are taking it off-roading then u don't need aggressive tires. I don't seem to have a problem backing up and do agree on the low windshield, I too have to lean forward to see lights if I'm first in line. Even with the seat all the way down.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited (black)
2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS (blue)
post #7 of 9 Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM

Well I concur with most and some of the effects vary with the drivers height etc.

The window, yes an issue but spotted right out of the gate. So we live with that knowing in advance. Extra extra care as well as use of side mirrors it required to backup with it. Especially in parking lots people and cars pop up right behind even though I am already moving back. Sometimes I think they want to get hit because many are very close calls.

I find the head rest very poor, uncomfortable and don't have a position that doesn annoy the occupants heads if they touch. I was going to put my old Caravan head rests in even if they were the wrong colour but the hole spacings different.

Seating possition for shorter drivers like my wife is best on this over the Calibre and Suburu product and various outhers we looked at. My wife can actually see up and over to the road. The seats side lever will JACK the seat UP and raise the seating possition. This makes a huge improvement in driving visibility. It also accomodates my 6ft full bodied frame. No laughing.....ok

Although its a car powertrain and the shell is set to present itself as a JEEP in various ways I would have to agree that different tires could have been used and I am not talking about Wranglers or equiv but much better looking M+S quieter tires. The affinity is really noisy on some road surfaces and I got rid of mine in 6 months.

Road height or clearance is fine and much hight than a lot of cars and yes it could be a tad higher. Bigger tires can make a difference but for this vehicle a program change to recalibrate the systems would have to be available before I would consider going that route and raising the vehicle. It would affect too many systems. It would very easy for the software engineers to have a software setting for larger tires even it required the dealer to set that or via EVIC. Otherwise too many computer monitored sensors would be off.

As for looks I do think the looks is very good. My wife likes it and that was the main criterial in narrowing down a group of vehicles. She has had a number of SUV types include the Grand Cherokee which I've inherited as my main vehicle now. She wanted to get away from that typical SUV boxy look that all of them share. In a 4x4 this was it.
So UGLY/PRETTY/STYLISH/STREAMLINED whatever it a personal thing and really irrelevant to anyone but JEEP. If enough people think its ugly it likely not sell. I see ugly vehicles on the road, Pink, lime green but somebody bought them. On heck of a job to sell though.

I have the North Editon with power windows, lock, mirror and heated seates and wonder why heated MIRRORS were ommitted from that package. There are times when I really could use them although never had them. You can't just slap them on. An ommission in todays new cold climate vehicles.

To me peresonally the biggest problem and single issue is RELIABILITY/DURABILITY which are rolled into since you can't get one without the other. The Suspension all round could have had a much better set of quality parts that last. Not bigger, heavier etc but things like sealed lubbed tie rod ends, inner rods linkages lubbed during manufacter with quallity bushings. They wouldn't be falling apart along with the control arms as they are. As buyers we deserve that.

I had a 1997 Caravan and all but on ball joint and may one tie rod end (not sure if it was repace now) but was all original at 197,000km when I sold it and passed certification as it was. There were no grease fittings and did have factory greased tie rods. I could see a slight oil weep from a pin hole at the bottom. I sold it after buying the Compass. Happy with a previous Chysler so I bough another and another etc until this one. No not happy even now. Too many repairs, too many parts failing under warranty even. I should not be like that and that how they loose customers and they just don't care even if you bring it to their attention. So I don't care when I look for another vehicle down the road. My money so I decide. Its overall a very good vehicle if and hopefully won't need a bank loan to keep it repaired.

Jeep could fix the problem and generate phenominal customer satisfaction and reputation dead easy. Extend warranty repair on all control arm, tie & inner rods end to everyone with quality durable parts built right. If they'd stand behind there Jeeps I'd be there looking for my next Chysler ride yet again. My first Chrysler was a 1973 Plymoth Satellite wagon and I've I've always had one of there products in my driveway.

The thing is they'll spend millions up millions in advertising but good faith, standing by you customers they'll generate new and repeated sales over the years. At the moment they're loosing the long term customers and some first timers.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Tripplec and also ronjr8102.

The reason I wanted more aggresive tires than the Firestone Affinity's is not so much for off-roading, but because I live in Connecticut and we normally get a good amount of snow each winter (although this year so far we have not had too much snow).

In the snowstorm a few weeks ago, I was sliding all over the place with Affinity tires--it was so bad that I actually went right to Town Fair tire and forked over the $580 big ones to get a set of the Good Year SR-A's, even though I still has a good amount of tread lest on the Affinity's. And it was good that this happened because this is when I discovered the bad front tie-rod ends, which thankfully were under warranty.

In regards to the visibility problem, I am seriously thinking about removing the front passenger headrest...I may try it and see. I don't care what anyone else says about this--in my opinion, backing up in the Compass in downright dangerous because you simply cannot see well to the right side and also what is behind you.

Best wishes,
G. Dallaire
post #9 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 04:47 PM

Well I've been driving on winter tires all year round since about 1997 on earlier vehicles and about 4 years back I went to Nokian's all weather certified winter tires which are designed to be run all year run unlike the majority of solutions. I don't drive aggessively or weave through aggressive turns. Handling due to bigger rubber is not an issue but traction is what I want. If they wear earlier fine, just buy another set. Accident avoidance saves money and not getting stuck saves my butt. So far 3 vehicles in the family are riding on Nokian All Weather tires and we're all happy with them.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in