UK Compass - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 02-15-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

UK Compass

A few thoughts on my purchase in December 2011 of a Compass CVT Limited here in the UK:

- When I ordered the car I was told I'd have it by the end of November. It finally turned up in the middle of December. During the time I ordered it and a couple of days before it arrived the Jeep dealership seemed to have no idea at all where it was or exactly when it would arrive
- When I got it the were a number of defects: drivers door very hard to close, UConnect microphone not working, no ownership manuals at all etc. I suspected that no PDI had been carried out. I don't know, however, why the car left the factory in this condition.
- The door problem was fixed fairly promptly. I eventually received the owners manual and a couple of incorrect version manuals for the navigation system and the radio/jukebox system. The dealer looked at the microphone problem for a couple of hours before telling me that the wiring diagram they had was wrong. A week later they fitted a different mic on the drivers door pillar ... a pretty Heath-Robinson approach in my view. There was no further attempt to sort the rear view mirror mic problem out.

Overall - really disappointing. I thought this kind of "service" in the motor trade had disappeared years ago.

The car: overall despite the shoddy issues above I'm pretty happy but here are a few comments for what they are worth:

- why on earth did Jeep fit a 51L fuel tank? It's a relatively thirsty car and I find a tank of petrol takes me just over 300 miles. Not a great distance at all.
- who's idea was it to not fit a windscreen washer fluid warning light? I ran out of washer fluid on a heavily salted road a week or two ago. I'm not sure I've ever owned a vehicle without a washer fluid warning light before
- I thought I had a fault with the daylight running lamps: when you put an indicator on to turn the daylight lamp goes out on the same side as the indicator turns on. Bizarre or what? The dealer tells me this is a "feature". I'm waiting to be pulled over by the police for having faulty lights
- The CVT transmission takes a bit of getting used to but I'm getting happier with it. I've always driven "traditional" autos before and I still miss the kickdown
- I've found the Compass surprisingly good in the snow. Considerably better than a lot of 4WD's I've had in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Hi

I too am a recent owner of a UK Compass.

I have to agree with you regarding the experience of the dealership.

I had my Compass delivered to my house, (long story) I had no handbook, service book or even TAX Disk - even though I paid £320 road fund licence.

Tax disk arrived 3 days later and handbook 1 week later, I am still awaiting a receipt for my deposit.

I am pleased with the vehicle, mine is a 2.2 diesel manual,but, similar to you, was surprised by the 51 litre capacity of the fuel tank. At least my fill ups are cheaper.

I have not had the fortune to drive in the snow - as I live in the north west and haven't seen any yet - kids disappointed too.

I have yet to identify, what the service schedule is - I doubt it is 15,000KM - but must confirm with dealership.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

UK Jeep Dealers

Interesting to hear about Sparkyebb's trials and tribulations but pleased to hear that overall you are happy with your purchase. I'm still doubtful about the on/off daytime running lights issue can anybody else confirm that their Compass does this?

Sorry to hear that it took you a while to get a receipt from your dealer. Think yourself lucky though: I took advantage of Jeeps interest free finance offer and the car I traded in was valued at £1,100 more than deposit. On top of that I put down £100 to secure the car when I ordered it. I got the cheque for the £1,200 they owed me nearly a month after I took delivery of the vehicle. I would point out though that I wasn't pushing them and Christmas etc. did get in the way.

Sorry to hear about the lack of snow in your area. We had quite a bit a week or so ago and we live in the (relative) back of beyond and have a driveway that looks like a ski ramp. It usually takes me an age to clear the garage area and the driveway, snow shovel, salt etc but thought I'd give the Compass a little test so didn't bother clearing: it didn't miss a beat either down or up. We never see a gritter! It's great - now.

The CVT "gearbox" is continuing to grow on me. Drove my wife's very smooth 6 speed torque convertor auto today and noticed the gearchanges! The tiny fuel tank is still bugging me though.

Service interval is tiny on my 2.4 petrol engine - 7,500 miles. My last few cars have been diesels with an interval of 20,000 miles.

Finally - anybody else wish you could get this vehicle with auto lights and wipers? I've got used to both of these things and do miss them. Laziness on my part I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 09:33 PM

Garage
Welcome to the Jeep club guys, yet more buyers in the UK is cool. I'm from Birmingham but moved to Montreal for work 3 years ago, got our Compass last June

For the DRL its usual, mine does it I think, its either a Jeep thing or a US/Can thing not sure.

Fuel tank is smaller than my old Ford Focus' and with a bigger engine and heavier car, doesn't make sense

My wife's previous 3 UK cars (Peugeots) all had auto lights and wipers but mine (Fiat) didn't so haven't missed it yet

Best thing about your Jeeps is Diesel, can't get those here!

Enjoy your new cars and the forum!

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BeDevil79; 02-18-2012 at 09:35 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM

I think we should have had diesel's available here. the gas engine is extremely poor on gas contrary to their advertising. Last weekend I did a good run of mixed highway 80-90km/hr approx 100km & the balance of 250km at 110-120km/hr and it got 27MPG Canandian. Given that these are pretty light vehicles and a small engine with varialbe valve timing it makes me really wonder. At the moment is at the very very best barely 2MPG better then my 4.0L 2002 Grand Cherokee which is a true 4x4 and considerably heavier. Its a great driving vehicle but with everything computer managed there is little I can do that I haven't more or less recently. I hope it improves when the warmer summer temperatures arrive or the summer gas is better for it. I may change the plugs again although I don't believe they have more tha 20 to 25k on them. There are only 4 plugs it cheap enough and easly to do. I am running synthetic oil as well for the winter.

Dealer check and there are no codes as of a week ago.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 AM

Smile

Just completed a 350 mile trip, motorway and A roads - I have to be honest I was driving economically, however, I managed to squeeze 46 MPG out of the Compass.

To confirm, I had a look at my day lights and - YES - when the indicator is on, that side light does indeed go off. I am 100% sure there is no legal issue as:

A) It has to achieve UK standards and be 'fit for purpose'.

B) There is no requirement for Day lights in UK.

I hope the service interval is not 7,500, as i have only owned it for 19 days and have already driven 1,500 miles.

I topped up my windscreen washer bottle yesterday - and was surprised that it was empty - no warning light.

An i agree with all - 51 litre fuel tank ??

I had a VW Passatt 2.0 Diesel previously, fuel tank was approx 75 litres - just seems bizarre.

post #7 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 PM

Well the 51L tank is 11.2 Imp Gal from my converter.
@46MPG = 515 miles

@28MPG = 313 miles which is my best highway all winter. Really bad!!!

Are you Chuffed now even with the small tank which some people don't like. I do think they could have fitted a tank with another 5 gallons larger under somehow.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #8 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCompass View Post
A few thoughts on my purchase in December 2011 of a Compass CVT Limited here in the UK:

- When I ordered the car I was told I'd have it by the end of November. It finally turned up in the middle of December. During the time I ordered it and a couple of days before it arrived the Jeep dealership seemed to have no idea at all where it was or exactly when it would arrive
i'm not sure about the UK, but here in the states, that is very common. once they leave the factory, we don't know exactly where they are until they show up, and we don't know when that will be

- When I got it the were a number of defects: drivers door very hard to close, UConnect microphone not working, no ownership manuals at all etc. I suspected that no PDI had been carried out. I don't know, however, why the car left the factory in this condition.
the cars are quality control tested before leaving the factory, but if there are any issues that can be fixed at the dealer, they will sometimes let them leave that way intentionally. fixing small issues before they leave holds the plant up, and the dealer is more than capable to handle many situations. however, it should not have been presented to you in this fashion.

- The door problem was fixed fairly promptly. I eventually received the owners manual and a couple of incorrect version manuals for the navigation system and the radio/jukebox system. The dealer looked at the microphone problem for a couple of hours before telling me that the wiring diagram they had was wrong. A week later they fitted a different mic on the drivers door pillar ... a pretty Heath-Robinson approach in my view. There was no further attempt to sort the rear view mirror mic problem out.
take it elsewhere. i could probably figure out why the mic isn't working, but i'm not exactly right around the corner when you would hit the button on the radio to activate the bluetooth, would it say "bluetooth not active" or something like that, or would it beep normally, but just not be able to hear you?

Overall - really disappointing. I thought this kind of "service" in the motor trade had disappeared years ago.

The car: overall despite the shoddy issues above I'm pretty happy but here are a few comments for what they are worth:

- why on earth did Jeep fit a 51L fuel tank? It's a relatively thirsty car and I find a tank of petrol takes me just over 300 miles. Not a great distance at all.
because it is a variant of the dodge caliber, a small car, and uses the same tank. any larger tank would interfear with the size of the muffler

- who's idea was it to not fit a windscreen washer fluid warning light? I ran out of washer fluid on a heavily salted road a week or two ago. I'm not sure I've ever owned a vehicle without a washer fluid warning light before
not really sure about that one, i can't say i've ever had a car that warned me when my washer fluid was low, but i can't say that for sure either.

- I thought I had a fault with the daylight running lamps: when you put an indicator on to turn the daylight lamp goes out on the same side as the indicator turns on. Bizarre or what? The dealer tells me this is a "feature". I'm waiting to be pulled over by the police for having faulty lights
they are correct, it is a normal operating procedure, and local law enforcement should know this. when you put your turn signal indicator on, the DRL on that side will go out. the reason is because with the DRL off, it makes the turn signal indicator easier to see.

- The CVT transmission takes a bit of getting used to but I'm getting happier with it. I've always driven "traditional" autos before and I still miss the kickdown
this is a normal learning curve with the compass, you'll get the hang of it.

- I've found the Compass surprisingly good in the snow. Considerably better than a lot of 4WD's I've had in the past.
the day after i got mine, it went through over a foot of snow. you'll find that a jeep comes with a dangerous level of confidence!

Last edited by IRSmart; 02-20-2012 at 04:50 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 05:09 PM

Garage
ABSOLUTELY THEY COULD HAVE PUT A BIGGER TANK IN! I wish they did! Its annoying at times that it is so small.

When i "top off" my tank I max out at 293 miles till empty. Thats really taking my time fueling it up and rocking it back and fourth.

2011 Jeep Compass Lat. 4x4
Sun/Sound Package
26B Package
Sat. Radio
Mopar molded mud flaps & Mopar Winter Slush Matts
Weathertech vent visors (in-channel)
post #10 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMScompass4x4 View Post
ABSOLUTELY THEY COULD HAVE PUT A BIGGER TANK IN! I wish they did! Its annoying at times that it is so small.

When i "top off" my tank I max out at 293 miles till empty. Thats really taking my time fueling it up and rocking it back and fourth.
look up under your jeep and tell me where it would fit. there's no more room under there, the muffler is in the way.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-21-2012, 06:06 PM

Garage
Hey Guys

Agree with the fuel tank. I do between 3000 and 3500km a month so I'm currently filling up every 4 or 5 days. Driving me mad. My last 2 cars we diesel so got used to only filling up once a week. I joked with my mates and said I was going to make my Jeep more Jeepish by fitting 2 jerry cans to the back and piping them into the tank.

I think the daytime lights dim due to the location of the indicator lamp - very close to the daytime light. With the daytime light on the indicator light would be harder to see. I remember that issue with Golf 4 when it came out - you could never see if the guys approaching were turning at night. Audi's daytime LED's and Merc's also dim when indicating.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 PM

Garage
Oh, and glad you mentioned the washer fluid warning. Been using mine a lot and waiting for the light. Last 2 cars also had it though the the wife's Mini doesn't so no biggy.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Smile

Love the idea of 2 Jerry cans on the back, maybe with:

"I love my Jeep Compass, but, wish the fuel tank was bigger" stickers.

Just a thought lol
post #14 of 14 Old 02-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Garage
I STRONGLY AGREE with this: Compass needs a bigger tank!!!!!! No more than 450km per tank. i drive like 800 a week and it is a mess going many times to the gas station.

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in