Jeep Compass Safety - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Jeep Compass Safety

I ran across this release from Chrysler about the safety features built into the 2007 Compass I am sure that newer models have more and improved versions of the items listed below.

2007 Jeep(R) Compass Occupants Encircled in Safety and Security

* More than 30 advanced safety technologies are available on the all-new 2007 Jeep(R) Compass

* First Jeep compact SUV to feature standard side-curtain air bags AUBURN HILLS, Mich., June 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/

-- The all-new 2007Jeep(R) Compass gives customers an exceptionally high level of safety in the compact SUV segment. The safety technologies available on the Jeep Compass include standard side-curtain air bags, optional front seat-mounted supplemental side air bags, standard driver and passenger front air bags, Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Brake Traction Control, Brake Assist, Electronic Roll Mitigation, anti-lock brakes (ABS) with rough-road detection and an available Tire Pressure Monitoring system.

The Jeep Compass also offers a high level of security, including a Sentry Key(R) engine immobilizer, a removable/rechargeable interior flashlight, an available security alarm and HomeLink Universal Home Security System Transceiver. The following combination of safety and security features reinforces the Jeep brand's commitment to safety and security:

* Anti-lock Brake System: Senses and prevents wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking and/or slippery conditions (standard)

* Advanced Multi-stage Air Bags: Offer enhanced protection for a wider range of occupants by identifying the size, using the Occupant Classification System (OCS), based primarily on weight in the front passenger seat (standard)

* Auto-reverse Sun Roof: Automatically engages and reverses the power sun roof to the open position (available)

* BeltAlert: Periodically activates a chime and illuminates an icon in the instrument cluster to remind the driver to buckle up if not properly belted (standard)

* Brake Assist: Applies maximum braking power, providing the shortest possible stopping distance when the vehicle senses a panic brake condition (standard)

* Brake/Park Interlock: Prevents automatic transaxle from being shifted out of Park, unless the brake pedal is applied (standard with automatictransaxle)

* Brake Traction Control: Senses drive-wheel slip and applies individual brakes to a slipping wheel(s), and can reduce excess engine power until traction is regained (standard)

* Child-protection Rear Door Locks: Disables the rear doors' inside-release handles via a small lever on the door-shut face (standard)

* Child Seat Anchor System [Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren(LATCH)]: Eases installation of compatible aftermarket child seats (standard)

* Constant Force Retractors (CFR): Distribute the force of the front seat belts according to the load or force exerted on them. Force-limits the belt system and gradually releases seat-belt webbing in a controlled manner (standard)

* Crumple Zones: Compress during an accident to absorb energy and prevent transfer of that energy to vehicle occupants (standard)

* Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM): An extension of ESP, uses the input from the ESP sensors to anticipate if the vehicle is at risk of entering apotential roll situation then reacts immediately, applying the brakes individually and modulating throttle position as needed to mitigate the roll situation (standard)

* Electronic Stability Program: Enhances driver control and helps maintain directional stability under all conditions. Provides the greatest benefit in critical driving situations, including turns, and is especially valuable when driving on mixed surface conditions such as snow, ice or gravel. If there is a discernible difference between what the driver intends through the steering and the vehicle's path, ESP applies selective braking and throttle input to put the vehicle back onto the driver's intended path (standard)

* Energy-absorbing Steering Column: Utilizes two hydroformed coaxial tubes that can move relative to each other and allow the column to move forward for enhanced energy-absorption during a crash. The power-adjust steering column employs a calibrated bending element that deforms during column-stroke for optimal energy management (standard)

* Enhanced Accident Response System (EARS): In the event of an accident, automatically turns on the interior lighting and unlocks the doors after air bag deployment, making it easier for emergency personnel to see and reach the vehicle occupants. EARS also shuts off the flow of fuel to the engine (standard)

* Height-adjustable Seat Belts: Allows occupants to raise and lower the shoulder belt, which encourages seat-belt usage by offering a more comfortable fit (standard)

* HomeLink Universal Home Security System Transceiver: Stores three separate radio-frequency codes to operate garage-door openers, security gates, security lighting and other radio-controlled devices (available)

* Interior Head-impact Protection: Includes interior pillars above the beltline, instrument panel, windshield and rear window headers, roof and side rail structures and shoulder-belt turning loops, specifically designed to limit head-impact forces (standard)

* Knee Bolsters: Enable the air bags to work effectively by properly positioning the vehicle occupant (standard)

* Remote Keyless Entry with Illuminated Entry: Locks and unlocks doors, and turns on interior lamps. If the vehicle is equipped with a vehicle-theft security alarm, the remote also arms and disarms that system (available)

* Removable/Rechargeable Light-emitting Diode (LED) Flashlight: Mounted in the headliner above the cargo area, snaps out of the bezel to serve as a flashlight (available)

* Structural Safety Cage: Protects occupants by managing and controlling energy in the event of an impact (standard)

* Seat-belt Pretensioners: During a collision, immediately remove slack from the seat belts, thereby reducing the forward movement of the occupant's head and torso (standard)

* Sentry Key(R) Engine Immobilizer: Utilizes an engine key that has an embedded transponder with a preprogrammed security key code to shut the engine off after a few seconds if the correct key is not inserted (standard)

* Side Guard Door Beams in Front and Rear Doors: Provide occupant protection during a side impact (standard)

* Side Occupant Protection System: Includes side-curtain air bags with roll detection system that deploy in certain rollover situations and side-impact events. Utilizes information from multiple sensors to determine the severity of the impact (standard)

* Side-curtain Air Bags: Extend protection to all outboard front- and rear-seat passengers. Each side air bag has its own impact sensor that autonomously triggers the air bag where the side impact occurs (standard)

* Supplemental Seat-mounted Side Air Bags: Housed in the outboard side of each front seat, offer enhanced protection of the driver and front outboard passenger in certain impacts. Each side air bag has its own impact sensor that autonomously triggers the air bag on the side where the side impact occurs (available -- late availability)

* Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPM): Includes pressure-sensor modules integrated within the valve stems of all four road wheels that sends continuous radio-frequency signals to a receiver to inform occupants when the pressure is too low (available)

* UConnect(TM) Hands-free Communication System: Uses Bluetooth(R)technology to provide voice-activated wireless communication between the occupants' compatible cell phones and the Compass' onboard receiver. The hands-free option promotes safety, freedom, value and flexibility (available)

SOURCE Chrysler Group

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 08-14-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Good write up......no bad for a low end SUV according to 'experts'.........
They make me laugh..........

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2009, 11:21 PM

Jeep put a lot of expensive safety features into a small paskage. These features along wsith the price attracted me to the Compass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 PM

Agreed. I commute 40+ miles daily to work, most of it on packed freeways, plus I do alot of driving around town with my 3 boys in the car, and knowing that this was rated so highly is safety gives me some peace of mind.
That was a big selling point for my wife.

Man was indeed meant to fly...but only in one direction!
post #5 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 01:27 PM

MY wife owns a Lexus IS 250 and it has these features incorporated into her car but the Lexus cost 2.5 times what I paid for the Compass.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 PM

Garage
Great info, thanks

Am a new 2011 owner and regarding the Electronic Stability Program (ESP), aside for aiding driving, does its usage have any affect on gas mileage?

Z_Statman
2015 Compass Latitude 4x4

=========================================
"The journey is the reward" (Steve Jobs 1983)
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" (anonymous)
post #7 of 8 Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
Am a new 2011 owner and regarding the Electronic Stability Program (ESP), aside for aiding driving, does its usage have any affect on gas mileage?
I don't see how.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-15-2012, 06:27 PM

I agree, they are functionally inactive until a situation presents itself. At such time as it does its irrelavent, brakes activating, transmission shift etc all trigger to keep you on the straight and narrow path of safety. Fuel savings is the last thing you're concerned about when ESP is required. Not much different than you having to step on the brakes because the lights turned RED and you can run it. It part of driving. I never have tested millage in the city, why since there are so many variables out of my control. Sure its better than the bigger vehicles with bigger engines in the city and that all I am concerned about that it better and not the number. On the highway is another story. My best ever was 31MPG (CND Gallon) and last winter 27MPG Max which I find quite poor dispite asking why I was just told there is nothing wrong, not codes.

Curtain airbags is a protection you may not benefit from I read on this forum someone got hit on the side hospitalized and the bags never went off. I have them and not planning to test them but it gives a false sense of security in an incident.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in