2011-12 Compass as commuter? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Question 2011-12 Compass as commuter?

Hi everyone, new to board. Upon returning home from US Army training, I will be in desparate need of a new vehicle. Im on a budget and have always wanted an suv. I saw the new compass last yr and have been in love. Perfect size, price, 4x4 availability and great looks, however, I still have a few questions. My commute to work is about 45 miles each way, will the compass be a good choice for someone doing that kind of driving? Hows the comfort level? My girlfriend has a 4 year old, is the compass suitable for children? And finally, ive seen some threads on gas mileage but is the 23/29 or whatever its rated at accurate? I appreciate the help!!

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Hey there Joe and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us and thank you for your service! In answer to your questions, I had a 45 mile commute one way not long after I bought my Compass, so roughly 90 miles/day and averaged 30mpg (29.7 according to the EVIC and about the same when calculated by hand), it really did well since my drive was mainly highway and the Compass could stretch its legs lol and yes, it was a very comfortable drive. My children are grown so I'll let others here speak to that but I have achieved the advertised mpg's with the Compass. Regular maintenance and maybe a few modifications and there's no reason you can't expect the same. Good luck with your purchase, though, the Compass is a great vehicle so be sure to keep us posted and I hope you enjoy the site!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM

You might want to read into many of the thread on the forum. What some people have got (older years) and new are not necessary consistant. I am basing my millage on the Imperial Gallon(larger than a US gallon). I currently getting 28mpg highway at 110-120km/hr and when I got it was at best 30-31mpg. Its knowhere near their advertising.

Personally you're best to rent one with the package you'd be interesting in EG 4x4, CVT, 2.4L engine and see for yourselft. It would be money well spent. Do your own millage calculations based on miles drive from full tank to refilling and calculating how much you used. The EVIC and Scangauge calculations are merely a indicator of efficiency but not accurate.

And yes it comes as a 4x4 but also 2x4 and its built on a Calibre car chassis. Hence its not a true SUV. Chrysler put diffent bodies on the Calibre design and added the 4x4 to the power train for the Compass and Patriot with the JEEP brand on it. It may look like Jeep but its really a modified car with the suspension and powertrain of its predessor. As long as you're away. Its no Liberty or Grand Cherokee.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 02:40 PM

my commute is a total of 100 miles every day so i feel your pain. That being said, i've owned a 2008 2.4L 4x4 manual and a 2011 2.4L 4x4 auto. You want better MPGs? Get the manual version. The highest i ever got with the auto was an average of 26MPG with really relaxed driving. The the 08 i got 28 mpg as an average but 31 mpgs on all highway travel. hope that helps!

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
post #5 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!! Really helpful responses. First thing ill do once i get home is test drive and maybe compare it to a few other similar vehicles. Most competitors in this category are well into the mid and upper 20s price wise. I may also entertain the chevy equinox but were talking another 3-4k similarly equipped, if not more. The compass just seems like the most for the $$ at this point
post #6 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 PM

Garage
I just bought a 2010 (2.4L - 4 cylinder - CVT) and I do 50 miles a day. First fill up I averaged 21mpg but I tend to drive pretty fast. I just put my ScanGauge in and I'm now monitoring my MPG and adjusting my driving habits and I'm up to 26mpg now. I think I can probably manage 28mpg but I don't expect to get much more and I'll probably average between 24-26mpg.

I have a 9 month old daughter and the car seat is behind the passenger seat and anyone riding shotgun would be uncomfortable. A 4-YO would be using a forward facing seat so that problem wouldn't exist.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cveeduv View Post
I just bought a 2010 (2.4L - 4 cylinder - CVT) and I do 50 miles a day. First fill up I averaged 21mpg but I tend to drive pretty fast. I just put my ScanGauge in and I'm now monitoring my MPG and adjusting my driving habits and I'm up to 26mpg now. I think I can probably manage 28mpg but I don't expect to get much more and I'll probably average between 24-26mpg.

I have a 9 month old daughter and the car seat is behind the passenger seat and anyone riding shotgun would be uncomfortable. A 4-YO would be using a forward facing seat so that problem wouldn't exist.
Is that based on US or CND. No location in your post. Yes I forgot about that being a very long time. Little-un need to be facing the rear so the seat must be mounted against the seat so it will likely need to be forward.
When I drive I have the drivers seat all the way back for my body.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Is that based on US or CND. No location in your post. Yes I forgot about that being a very long time. Little-un need to be facing the rear so the seat must be mounted against the seat so it will likely need to be forward.
When I drive I have the drivers seat all the way back for my body.
San Diego, Ca.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 PM

Well at 26 on a US Gal is not too bad.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 PM

Garage
That's about what I'm averaging now that I'm actually monitoring it and I've changed my habits. I'm satisfied with that, much better than 21.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 PM

Garage
Hey Joe,

I've had my '11 for 8 months now and before that an '09 Patriot, from using both I'd say you'll have no trouble and its a good choice for the price. Don't get an old Equinox, bag of nails! New ones good though, but i'd still choose the Jeep

In the Compass I've used it to haul bikes on the hitch, and been on a good roadtrip to Tremblant, around 2 hours. I got 27mpg at best but I would definitely get the 2.4 and CVT especially if your commute is stop-start

In the Patriot (same setup) we drove to Niagara Falls and had no trouble, even the seat comfort was ok after 6 hours driving. Because of that we'll be making the trip in April, this time for our wedding.

We have a 2 year old and now he faces forward theres plenty of room for the front passenger and at a ush 2 adults can sit in the back with his car seat. Look fir the folding passenger seat for extra conveniance. Good for a laptop or picnic.

Good luck with whatever you pick

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #12 of 22 Old 02-25-2012, 11:54 AM

Garage
Im very surprised when i read mpg in your post.

Las trip i had (last week went to the beach, 1500km total) i record 21.4mpg.
I really never got better than that. Those 1500km included long strait runs, but also about 4 hours of intensive cornering and from 0 to 1000altitude variations. Also the way was only one line so lots of truck passing had to be done. In the car just my wife, my litte 1 year boy and me, and light stuff for the beach.

I drive quite fast but i dont think too much. Next week i will try a test with really soft driving, and a speed around 55-60mph.

Cheers,
Willy

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #13 of 22 Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 PM

Yerterday drove Montréal to Rimouski 526km 46L in mpg no idea? 115km/h on the cruise control. Very good for 4x4 vehicule.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-25-2012, 01:37 PM

Garage
Im very surprised when i read mpg in your post.

Las trip i had (last week went to the beach, 1500km total) i record 21.4mpg.
I really never got better than that. Those 1500km included long strait runs, but also about 4 hours of intensive cornering and from 0 to 1000altitude variations. Also the way was only one line so lots of truck passing had to be done. In the car just my wife, my litte 1 year boy and me, and light stuff for the beach.

I drive quite fast but i dont think too much. Next week i will try a test with really soft driving, and a speed around 55-60mph.

Cheers,
Willy

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #15 of 22 Old 02-25-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtune View Post
Yerterday drove Montréal to Rimouski 526km 46L in mpg no idea? 115km/h on the cruise control. Very good for 4x4 vehicule.
Was that downhill with a tail wind?

I wouldn't even come close to that I am afraid and really don't understand why its not much better. My Grand Cherokee (see signature)much bigger, heavier, iron block engine will get 25-26MPG on the same route consistantly whenever I check it. I know its harder in the city/town but I don't check in town millage since there is little we can do in that situation.

If you look at the Dodge Caravan whic is a very big body and much bigger engine w/at least 100hp more that the Compass can park inside of. It get much better millage in the real world than the small Compass. Go figure this world engine with VVT leaves something to be desired and is not quiet running. I tune it out and turn up the radio.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 02-25-2012 at 02:34 PM.
post #16 of 22 Old 02-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Was that downhill with a tail wind?

I wouldn't even come close to that I am afraid and really don't understand why its not much better. My Grand Cherokee (see signature)much bigger, heavier, iron block engine will get 25-26MPG on the same route consistantly whenever I check it. I know its harder in the city/town but I don't check in town millage since there is little we can do in that situation.
flat and no wind temperature outside around 32F

today:

post #17 of 22 Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Well on the 401 east Toronto to Belleville and also on trips to Montreal the highway had definite grades up and down. Not like in the prairies where its like a pool table. I drive faily consitantly and don't tromp it. I have recently also tried it in manual mode at 6th gear the RPM is actually higher so auto is better with the RPM lower. I've mentioned the poor millage to the dealer but they check and there isn't any codes and don't do anything about it. With everything under computer management there is nothing I can do to improve the situation.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #18 of 22 Old 02-27-2012, 03:29 PM

Garage
I did 26.9mpg on the way to work today (22 miles and mostly freeway). I didn't have to drop my daughter off so it eliminated about 4 miles of city driving. There are slight grades to the freeway, it's not a flat route.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 AM

In fact, I monitor it, I changed my habits. I am very satisfied, far more than 21.

|
post #20 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Saw this thread bumped to the top so just wanted to add that I did purchase a 2012 Compass about 5 weeks ago. Have put over 2800 miles on it and been averaging about 23-24 mpg in 60/40 hwy to city driving. Only complaint about the car so far is the CVT, getting used to it a little but its still clunky and balky. Other than that, for a shade over 20k, I cant complain. I have a stylish 4x4 with plenty of space and decent gas mileage. Very happy with the purchase!
post #21 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquared83 View Post
Saw this thread bumped to the top so just wanted to add that I did purchase a 2012 Compass about 5 weeks ago. Have put over 2800 miles on it and been averaging about 23-24 mpg in 60/40 hwy to city driving. Only complaint about the car so far is the CVT, getting used to it a little but its still clunky and balky. Other than that, for a shade over 20k, I cant complain. I have a stylish 4x4 with plenty of space and decent gas mileage. Very happy with the purchase!
Make sure you have the lastest flash of the software. I had some major work done last fall and I took it in to check on something. They flashed the PCM for some CVT bump clunk issue thinging it might be that. It constantly changing and hopefully improving. I haven't driven it a lot but is seem a bit different on the highway then before. Less braking and more coasting the engine when off the gas I believe. Anyway, just because you haven't had it long does not mean it been flashed to current software levels.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #22 of 22 Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Make sure you have the lastest flash of the software. I had some major work done last fall and I took it in to check on something. They flashed the PCM for some CVT bump clunk issue thinging it might be that. It constantly changing and hopefully improving. I haven't driven it a lot but is seem a bit different on the highway then before. Less braking and more coasting the engine when off the gas I believe. Anyway, just because you haven't had it long does not mean it been flashed to current software levels.
Hmm, never thought of that. I will have to ask when I get my oil change. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in