A short road report. - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

A short road report.

I got back last night from a 1,500 + mile trip down to San Antonio Tx. and back. The Compass did very good and I am pleased to say it is a good touring vehicle for me. I ran an average of 72 mph with the cruise control on and runnung A/C and averaged around 24.5 mpg. This was including many CVT downshifts into the 3,000 rpm + range, and I have to commend the computer module for demanding top performance from the engine. The interior space was slightly lacking for luggage space, (four people) and it stacked up to rear seat headrest heigth which further limited rearview vision. Passing speed in tight situations are interesting with the CVT, and seemed to produce the needed result but with possibly excessive engine rpm.? I think that there is noticable differences between different regular grade gasolines and did get 26.2 mpg from one tank at the described speeds & conditions. I don't remember which station I filled up at though.. I'm attempting to attach a photo of the Compass parked at the Lackland AFB parade grounds parking lot. Son graduated from basic training, the reason for the trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basic T 058.jpg (94.7 KB, 12 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 04:00 AM

Glad to hear the compass did so well. I'm taking a 1300+ trip in a few months (Salt Lake to the 4 Corners area). I've done it twice in my old Cherokee, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Compass compares on a long trip like this.

Man was indeed meant to fly...but only in one direction!
post #3 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

I'm sure that you will like it. Just keep in mind the visability issues, and keep note of where you fill up at, I do think that some gasoline blends/products are better than others.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 PM

First let me congratulate you on having a son bright enough to join the USAF. What tech school is he going to? I would say you are probably one proud dad.

I just finished a 1000 miler and consistent with my driving and terrain averaged as always 24 mpg. Six speed auto with a 2.4.

Lots of hills and twisties; my wife and I counted 56 curves in one 6 mile section. I pulled over for the faster vehicles which included one BMW motorcycle, a Porsche 911 Carrera S and two late model Corvettes. Nothing else came close to keeping up. I will say again I don't drive fast I just don't slow down for the curves.

The one thing about the Compass I don't like is there is nowhere comfortable to brace my knees in cornering.

Squeezing on the gas with the CVT is a joy in a constantant radius curve as there are no surprises as the RPMs build. The altitude varied from just under 900 feet above sea level to over 3,400 feet.

The Compass took it all in stride and did so with amazing comfort with the air conditioning running and the satellite radio tuned to my favorite jazz station.

Other roads equally as curving and vertically challenged were driven with the windows down. I have found that by lowering the rear windows all the way and the front about halfway allows you to enjoy a smooth air flow in the interior with little wind buffeting.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 09-05-2009 at 03:26 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome back to both of you......Glad everything turned out great with the rides........
Jeepster must be a proud dad right now..........

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #6 of 12 Old 09-05-2009, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Just in case you want to know what I look like, I'll post a picture of myself with Son at Lackland AFB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basic T 016.jpg (95.5 KB, 13 views)

|
|
post #7 of 12 Old 09-05-2009, 04:32 AM

Garage
I salute you both.
CONGRATULATIONS.

Last edited by i2canoe; 10-01-2009 at 02:58 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-05-2009, 04:45 AM

Thanks to BOTH of you for your service! Jeepster that sure is a lot of Fruit Salad.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-05-2009, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe View Post
I salute you both.
CONGRATULATIONS.

Thank you Sir! It was much fun to do a road trip with the Jeep Compass and return to a place that I haven't seen for 30 years and see that it hasn't changed much!(Lackland AFB BMT).

|
|
post #10 of 12 Old 09-05-2009, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassLimited View Post
Thanks to BOTH of you for your service! Jeepster that sure is a lot of Fruit Salad.
Thank you CL!

|
|

Last edited by Jeepster2; 09-06-2009 at 02:27 AM. Reason: I said some things that I should not have said!
post #11 of 12 Old 09-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

I salute you my friend.......take the credit that you deserve........

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #12 of 12 Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 AM

J2 I just noticed that you changed your comments in post #10. Message understood. I had no problem with your statement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in