Serious Blind Spot Problem - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Serious Blind Spot Problem

My first car (I'm 25) was a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 that I had from 2004 to 2011. It had a very close to driver windshield and short dash.

So I purchase the 2011 Jeep Compass Latitude and love it. Only real problem I have noticed it the front A column pillars is a serious blind spot. The other day i went to turn left in an intersection and almost got hit because I simply didnt see this damn small 2 door coupe coming the other way. Now before you go off about I am a poor driver, I have only been in 1 accident deemed not my fault. Plus I am a EMT and drive a big ambulance with out a problem.

(And Yes I know they have airbags and thats perhaps why they are the size they are but still)

Anyone REALLY HATE the big pillar blind spots in the front of the car? Ugghhh. Thanks!

2011 Jeep Compass Lat. 4x4
Sun/Sound Package
26B Package
Sat. Radio
Mopar molded mud flaps & Mopar Winter Slush Matts
Weathertech vent visors (in-channel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Administrator

I hear ya on the blind spots, plenty of complaints about that and my problem is the visibility out the back, especially when merging onto the highway. Like you, I have a Cherokee, too and never had that problem but the pillars on the Compass are much thicker and it does make it difficult to see regardless of how good a driver you are.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Old 04-02-2012, 01:37 AM

Completely Agree !

I agree with both of you on this one, I wish there was a solution to this one...

I am extra careful and do multiple checks, but those blind spots bug the crap out of me too !!!

"G"

2011 Jeep Compass North Edition
4x4 with CVT Freedom Drive I
Trailer Tow Prep Group
Security and Cargo Convenience Group
North All Seasons Group
5 year 100k Gold Components Coverage (Plan 415)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 01:59 AM

Garage
I bought a Vision PRo mirror from QVC. Item # V31019 it helps a lot and comes with 2 round mirrors to put on your outside mirrors. I have the standard inside rear view mirror. I don't know if the on ethat auto dims is thicker and may cause a problem with the Vision Pro attaching to it. You could call and ask them.

Set of 2 Vision Pro Rearview Wide Angle Mirrors - QVC.com

2011 Compass Latitude ,28B ,Freedom Drive II Off Road Group, Sun & Sound ,,Bright Silver,Husky Liners,Mopar Molded Flaps,Xpel clear door edge guards, Stainless Steel exhaust tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Garage
We've had the Compass 9 months or so now, and its got much worse visibily all around than our previous Patriot - that's the price for having a nicer looking car I guess

We've had 3 main issues - first is padestrians in the A pillar blind spots, especially here in Montreal where they cross without looking! Twice we've nearly hit someone

Then my fiancee backed into an old focus as she couldn't see it behind us (it arrived while she was dropping me off) and sits pretty low, the bumper went under the Compass rear - didn't hit the hitch because she stopped in time and it was only like 3mph!

Then over the weekned I was exiting a junction into a feeder lane for the highway, and some Escalade behind me tried to go around me on the right (NOT into the feeder lane!) so when I pulled out he was at my side and cut back accross in front of me! That was his fault not the blind spots but it didn't help not seeing him coming!

Anyway, after driving 16 years its definitly the least vision I've had from any car, including my fiancee's old 206cc like this one!

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

Last edited by BeDevil79; 04-03-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is there anything that can be done to fix this problem?

Sun/Sound Package
26B Package
Sat. Radio
Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 PM

Garage
Not many options really - camera for reversing, extra mirrors on doors like COMPASSDL said. Bigger rear view mirror?

Not sure which car it is but I saw it had blind spot warning lights on the inside of the doors by the mirror housing - looked good but surely it means its badly designed visibilty too, so its not just us!

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have been in a few cars like this. Perhaps not AS bad but still bad. So yeah its is not just us. However had I really realized this when I bought the car ... I at least would have said something to my dealer. Not that they could have done anything. But to point it out. Thanks all!

Sun/Sound Package
26B Package
Sat. Radio
Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM

I agree with this! I don't know how many times a vehicle has magically appeared at the last second, right before I pull out in front of them. Scares the crap out of me. So now I try my best to basically rock back and forth in the seat a few times to look around it. Probably looks like I'm having a fit of some sort since I'm thrashing around so much but it's the only way I feel safe. One problem I have every now & then is the damn head rests in the back. I usually have to keep the seats down if I don't want them to be an issue. But that irritates me that I have to do that. Why couldn't they have made those detachable?? I almost backed into a person walking either beside or behind me a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't see them at all until I was pulling out of the parking lot. Granted I was looking for vehicles, not people sneaking up behind me. You'd think my reverse lights would have clued them in to get away. At least that's what I do when I see someone's reverse lights pop on - I get the hell out of the way! lol So, between all these blind spots and the REAL horrible drivers in my town, I'm usually a bucket of nerves behind the wheel!

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
Old 04-03-2012, 03:28 PM

Well like some have said the only solution is bobbing around like the dog on the dash thinky you see some people with bobbing around to get a different angle. I have had issues with mine and doubt driving the new body is any different especially out back.

Yep rear head rest is in the way
Rear window is too small
Pillars too big
Rear mirror, I find it covers the entire rear window and a bigger one would only allow you tp see rear passengers.

I position my side mirrors out slightly from the body so that it covers a bit wider than if I didn't. I move left right to see more. Creep over slowly on lane changes and if someones there I'll hear that honking sound. The Compass must have vehicle sensor on the side it seems when you move over and someone is close there is tha alert. Great isn't it!!!

Parking lots the worst no matter what you drive. You could be moving, backup lights on and drivers with still drive in behind and past you even though they'll get hit if you don't slam on the brakes. People are not better, brainless shoppers who just keep walking while I am backing out.

I have to keep checking both sides and back constantly it seems. It great if you can park where you can drive out. But that small rear window with the big pillars all around make for quite the trail of nerves. Just keep the motion slow is all I can say and look look look and never stop until you've come to a full stop and changing direction get out of there.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Last edited by tripplec; 04-03-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Garage
If only the head rests in the rear seats could be removed, would help a lot

Z_Statman
2015 Compass Latitude 4x4

=========================================
"The journey is the reward" (Steve Jobs 1983)
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" (anonymous)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Well like some have said the only solution is bobbing around like the dog on the dash thinky you see some people with bobbing around to get a different angle.
Well the other option is to drive fast and take lots of chances. When you hear a thud, just drive faster.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDevil79 View Post
Not many options really - camera for reversing, extra mirrors on doors like COMPASSDL said. Bigger rear view mirror?

Not sure which car it is but I saw it had blind spot warning lights on the inside of the doors by the mirror housing - looked good but surely it means its badly designed visibilty too, so its not just us!
several chrysler cars are coming with that feature as an option. in fact, the MK models are one of the only ones that don't (for cost reasons).

yes, it is going to have wider pillars than you're used to, but that's for two reasons. one is the air bags, like you mentioned. the second is the roof strength. the manufacturers have stricter standards now for how much weight the car needs to be able to handle on its roof, and the pillars are the only thing holding the roof up.

IIHS tests this by pushing down on the roof and seeing how much it can hold before the roof buckles 5 inches. they did not test the compass, but they did test the patriot. it received the highest rating. so would you rather have dainty pillars, or a head that is in one piece in an accident?

for giggles, if you want to see how the patriot did in all of its crash tests (phenomenally, btw), click here
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 AM

Garage
You have to be careful and just get used to it . . .
Even with the much greater greenhouse on the new JEEP i still manage to back into things . . . just have to be careful. . . back up sensors would be great.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Garage
It's not that bad. Gotta do lots of shoulder checks. Shoulder checks work wonders!!

Just had to add: The rear headrests on the 2009 are all removable. (take that, noobs!), and I have taken them off for backing down a hill on a mountainside etc.

Come to think of it the A-pillars are a bit annoying especially here where we have 1000% more pedestrians and kamikaze bicycles don't help either. Gotta move your head around a bit to make sure. But hey, isn't that what makes driving fun??

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.

Last edited by lochinprc; 05-10-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 PM

I am afraid a number of vehicles have that problem. I was out today and was following a New Caravan (had dealer plates on it) so I figure it was out getting gas or being tested. Anyway, I noticed the rear window as about a 6" black band around it framing the center see threw area. This makes it considerably smaller than previous Caravan rear windows in previous years. I also notice the big head rests on the rear row of seats. Even from the back it looks like they'd be blocking a lot of the view.

I gather this will become a much more common problem. If you drive where you have to back up a lot and especially if you're short. Rear view window visibility may become primary buying decision. I know we checked the Compass as well as others and it was better than some other vehicles although not the best. The headrests also hinder the view.

An OEM Backup Camera which displays in the Rear view mirrow as in a Ford Pickup I saw on the weekend is the cats meow. It was an older one use for service with over 260k on it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 PM

Option 1

Hi
I am looking a the following as an option:

Automotive Products | Gentex

But have not priced it yet, but I expect it not to be cheap !!!!

In the mopar Catalog they have one, as well....

"G"

2011 Jeep Compass North Edition
4x4 with CVT Freedom Drive I
Trailer Tow Prep Group
Security and Cargo Convenience Group
North All Seasons Group
5 year 100k Gold Components Coverage (Plan 415)
Old 05-11-2012, 06:18 AM

I have a plastic screen that gives a concave view thru it's unique pattern which shows objects far away to really close up I use it for backing up. This item can be found in Canada at Canadian Tire cost about $20 or other places in US that carry this type of plastic window used for the back of motor homes. I will post a picture soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in