New Owner/Member - all good except... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

New Owner/Member - all good except...

As titled, the wife & I picked up a Compass last week and are both very happy thus far. We did a fair amount of vehicle research & test driving and negotiated a great deal, even with all the extra features.

The acceleration is smooth & quick (don't miss the shifting at all!) and the interior is better than expected. The air filter will be a pain to change, but much of the rest of the vehicle maintenance appears to be easier than past cars/trucks I've owned.

Installing the carseat for our 6month old girl was simple and there's no 2nd row ceiling light to blind her when she's fast asleep. There is just enough room for the stroller and baby gear in the hatch. The ceiling is high. The 2nd row leg room is great for a 6ft person, but the seat is too short (ends about mid thigh even before I slump down). The reclined 2nd row is nice too.

Only three disappointments/annoyances.
1. The license plate rattles against the hatch door because the plate is only fastened with two upper screws. Nothing will stick to either the plate or the paint to cusion the rattle. Both I & dealership tried & failed.
2. The trim tab&slot isn't assembled or fitting together correctly above the subsoofer/storage cubby in the trunk right side - where the wall trim meets the pillar trim. Dealership wants a full day next week to fix it.
3. I noticed a burnt rubber smell comming from the engine compartment (when parked in enclosed garage). Not really worried for several reasons. The CVT is fully enclosed. The engine comparment is very small & hot - so a little burnt plastic smell at purchase isn't all that alarming. Dealership gave it no attention but I'll keep tabs on it.

I see there's a lot of Canadians on this forum, eh? Can those forum admins please add a one-click conversion tool to this website so that we lazy Americans can convert km into miles and imperial gallons into... well... gallons. :lol: I'm originally from NY (been cutting through Canada between Detroit & Rochester for 10 years) and want to give a shout to all those upstate New Yorkers too! Got a little snow this week, did we? :lol:

Catch you all Later - Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-26-2007, 10:14 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Quote:
2. The trim tab&slot isn't assembled or fitting together correctly above the subsoofer/storage cubby in the trunk right side - where the wall trim meets the pillar trim. Dealership wants a full day next week to fix it.
I have the same thing, I am going to wait till my first service and point it out to the dealer. Let me know how it goes with yours and how long it actually takes.

Have you tried a dab of silicone on the license plate? I am going to give it a try once spring hits.

One other thing that I have noticed, it that the spare tire and jack bounce around, there is a threaded center post and a screw on locking device but it is not screwed on and I can not figure out how to it on with the tire and jack in...going to point this out at the first service also.

Again welcome to the forums.
Barry
post #3 of 11 Old 01-27-2007, 02:44 AM

Congrats on your new purchase.

For my license plate, there are actually foam sticker that come with the truck (in the glove compartment) and 4 screws. I fixed those foam stickers to the back of my license plate and they are still there (4000 km) and it fixed my problem.

The the jack actually hold the tire down. It is too hard to explain by writing but there is a way to put the tire and the jack so they don't move.

My feeling is that your spare tire is upside down. You have to see the interior of the rim, not the outside of it, it has to be down like a bowl and you put the jack in it, if you place it right, the whole jack will fit within the rim's interior and you'll be able to screw the locking device over the jack, that is over the rim. There's a hole in the jack's handle to put the screw through it so that it doesn't move and the locking device holds it down over the rim.

Good luck It is quite easy once you figure it out, just like Lego blocks

I can send you some pictures if you wish, just send me a personal message with your e-mail address.

RedVortex[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-27-2007, 06:15 PM
ACX

for ours the foam stickers for the license plates were not there, so I used rubber stickys that you would put on a chair leg to protect them on a wooden floor.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-27-2007, 08:52 PM

post #6 of 11 Old 01-29-2007, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies

Thanks everyone for the replies.
BAAB994 - We plan to take the Jeep in this week to look at the tirm tab issue. I will let you know the results, if any.
RedWortex - I wish extra foam came with the Compass to put two more screws into through the plate. I kinda like that foam holding the screws rather than going through the sheet metal - hope it lasts!
ACX - Trying rubber feet on the back of the license plate sounds like a good idea, but I think the rubber would still be too hard a surface and still rattle against the hatch. And absolutely nothing is sticking to the back of the plate right now in these cold temps. Gonna have to wait until it gets warm.

I don't notice any rattling with my spare tire or jack, but all four tires are at 30psi, which makes the front tires buldge & look severly low. I increased them to 35 - they still look low (sidewalls say 44max allowed).

Thanks again!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-29-2007, 05:34 PM
ACX

hey bud,

the rubber stickies I used are quite soft (you can squish them with your fingers easily), and if several are stuck on top of eachother it works pretty well.

The factory pieces ended up being in the back of the vehicle.

You'd be able to use 2 faced tape and some small pieces of foam rubber as well..

I noticed on ours the license plate frame from the dealer accentuates this issue and I am planning on removing it after work.
:lol:
post #8 of 11 Old 01-30-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmisery
I like this one because it has all three systems with one entry
Metric, imperial and U.S

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/fuel

BTW: Can anyone do something about the spam posts
post #9 of 11 Old 02-22-2007, 04:26 PM

passenger side seatbelt light

Yeah, I love my Jeep Compass also, it is fun to drive. I have to confess, Iím not one who reads the owner manual until I see something I donít understand. I carry a back pack with me almost everywhere I go, and I place it on the passenger seat, I noticed the seatbelt light coming on for the passenger side. After moving the back pack to the floor, I have not seen the light come one anymore. There must be a warning sensor in the seat. Love to drive my Compass!
post #10 of 11 Old 02-22-2007, 04:42 PM

passenger side seatbelt light

Yeah, I love my Jeep Compass also, it is fun to drive. I have to confess, Iím not one who reads the owner manual until I see something I donít understand. I carry a back pack with me almost everywhere I go, and I place it on the passenger seat, I noticed the seatbelt light coming on for the passenger side. After moving the back pack to the floor, I have not seen the light come one anymore. There must be a warning sensor in the seat. Love to drive my Compass!
post #11 of 11 Old 02-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Re: seat sensor

Actually, there is a sensor in the passenger seat that verifies the weight of someone in the seat, in order to determine proper airbag deployment. My guess is that if the weight determined by the sensor deems it enough, were an actual passenger seated there, it would think they need their seatbelt on, hence your light coming on. It is kind of interesting to know how they work. In addition to absolutely loving EVERYTHING about my Compass, I love the safety features.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in