A compass story - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

A compass story

I was doing some offroad in a nearby contruction site.all of a sudden the ground below my frontwheel collapsed.I had a rock stuck under my jeep and my driver back wheel was spinning.I did the old wood and rock under wheel.as I tried to get out the ground under my front wheel collapsed. For 1h45 I was stuck and since it was a private land I didn't want to call a towing so I called my buddy who has an explorer awd and he couldn't get me outta there. So I resigned myself to call a towtruck. He got me out pretty quick and I had to pay him more for him not to call the cops or the owner...share your best stories. I kind of feel good cuz he got my truck out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 02:14 AM

Garage
Construction sites are particularly nasty . . . you could find things to puncture tires and worse. You got off lucky I think . . .
post #3 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 AM

Yea! ya gotta be carefull goin off road on your own. It's so tempting when you come across some where suitable but you risk being stranded. At the end of the day the compass has'nt got the complete offroading gear esp. if you gonna go it alone! Happened to me one time ,came across some acessible peat bog. now I,ve lived in Ireland long enough to know about bogs so I didn't venture too far in, was havin a good laugh so got braver. then i felt her sink a bit and spin and jeez did i get a fright .so with a bit if wheel turnin and reversin i got her loose and got the hell outta there.So my point being is I could have had alot more fun and alot less heart palpatations if I had the peace of mind of havin my mate Ronan with me in his Landcruiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 10:41 AM

Although I would be reluctant to go off road by myself one tool could possibly saved your bacon (or got you you stuck even worse if you became overconfident having one). Have you ever heard of a trail jack brand name Hi-Lift? It would be hard to use a trail jack as most people think of it to jack up a Compass. Because the attachment points are so far under the body you would most likely damage the body.

However, it is possible to use a trail jack as a wench. Attach one end to the Compass and the other end to a stationary object. Then you simply pull yourself out by using the jack as a come-along. Many times moving just a foot or two will set you free. Even this is a two person job.

If you have never seen a trail jack in action I am sure you can find instructions on the internet. I would suggest you practice this technique on level ground in a non emergency setting before trying it for real.

I don't have a wench on my Wrangler but using the Wrangler as the stationary object I have pulled cars out of ditches. Lot of work but it gets the job done. You may wonder why not just tow the ditched car out? Cause I would have been moving across a lane of oncoming traffic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 10-03-2009 at 10:55 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

I2...........this is awfull..........thius guy is a jerk..........he's got summer tire.............another bad wrap for the Compass............

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
I2...........this is awfull..........thius guy is a jerk..........he's got summer tire.............another bad wrap for the Compass............
Careful FfL, he could be one or our members who keeps trying to send us those messages with that crazy Cryptic keyboard. We know how hard they try to communicate with us, you don't want to antagonize them.
The cars they liberate from North America for sale on the Rusan black market dont' always come with M&S tires.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 11-01-2009 at 01:32 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

LOL...........My God you have way too much imagination for me..........and again maybe you know something we don't ...........strange ........very strange indeed !!!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in