Jeep Compass Reliability - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 02-04-2007, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Jeep Compass Reliability

Hi everyone,

Jeep as a whole, is really foreign to me, as I have not looked around for an SUV until recently, and I just have a few questions I hope some of you can help me with.

First off, as the topic hints, how reliable is the Jeep Compass? I have seen decent reviews on msn autos, etc. but it's always better to hear from current owners. Jeep gives me the impression that it's reliable and sturdy - I know somebody who drives a YJ and still no having any problems.

And how is the Jeep brand as a whole? I know it's under the Daimer Chrysler family, but that'a about it!

Much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-04-2007, 12:30 PM

only had my compass for 1 month, love it, no problems, and its my first jeep as well as an "suv" type vehicle.....test drove honda element, looked into the rav4 and crv and hyundai tuscon, for the overall package you get and the price, couldnt beat the compass
post #3 of 4 Old 02-04-2007, 05:15 PM
ACX

As for Jeep brand.. they have had their issues with reliability in the past, and as recently as yesterday I read an article that for customer perception, the lowest ranking marques for reliability include Jeep (also landrover, suzuki and some other). Is it deserved? I personally don't think so - 5 or 6 years ago things may have been different. Historically Jeep has had the rugged image

Now in terms of the compass, obviously this was a departure from what a traditional Jeep is, which is a good thing for some, and a bad thing for many jeep purists. Obviously the compass is on the same platform and is essentially the same vehicle as the caliber and the patriot and is more "light duty" than the traditional jeeps.

For reliability, we've had no issues so far, albeit the thing is new. 2 recalls for the compass, one of which was just to supplememnt the owners manual for some literature.

I'm sure there will be horror stories out there as there are with every manufacturer (for example I almost met my maker when the transmission in my acura TL decided to blow on the highway).

Your comment about it getting decent reviews on msn autos is interesting. I noticed the same thing. Magazine reviews were often lukewarm due to the styling, but actual owners seem to be resoundingly happy with the vehicle which is what matters.

My 2 cents (you can read my personal review in the "everything else" section of the forum) regarding the compass is, it does what it is meant to do, and it does it well.

For value, especially in the realm of canadian pricing it is almost unmatched - although you do have some sacrifices (seat is not power e.g) along with it, which to me are fine.

On a sticker of about 28,750 canadian for a very well appointed limited 4x4, I negotiated 1500 off so our price going in was 27,250ish plus the admin fees. So this is the top of the heap optionwise for that price.

Looking at others in the market,

BASE 2wd CRV with freight and PDI $29,205. The EX-L with a more appropriate level of optioning, with AWD is 36105. I found a similar thing when looking at a RAV4.

So for us it came down to this, for 8-10k MORE in price, did the other small utes make sense? They didn't for us. Peole will say resale on the imports will be better, but I was not looking for a 650-700 a month car payment or to carry 8-10k extra debt for 5 years just so it was worth more in the end of its life. I would hope it would be worth more lol..

We looked at the Escape, and although it was OK, it was unspectacular, and even with deep discounting from Ford, it was barely at par pricewise.

the pontiac torrent and chevy equinox were more expensive and to me less satisfying.

Looking at the Korean offerings, the santa fe was pricier although not bad, the tucson wasn't quite what I wanted and optioned well was pricier.

So overall that is what I found. I wanted the caliber originally, but found it seemingly too cramped from a roofline point of view.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Re: Jeep reliability

As far as Jeep and reliability are concerned, the two words are synonomous. What gets me is how everybody in those near-sighted reviews call the Compass "badge engineering." Well, of course it is. When has there not been engineering behind the Jeep badge, not to mention that Jeep stands behind every vehicle it puts out. I might be a little biased, as I have a '91 Cherokee Sport 4x4, 149k+ miles. A few problems, but as long as you keep up maintenance on it, and correct things as they become a problem, before it turns into something worse, your life with your Jeep should be relatively hassle free. In my (again, slightly biased) opinion, they are great vehicles with long lifespans. They will allow you to run them into the ground, I just choose not to. There is nothing in the Jeep lineup that I would not buy or drive, except maybe the Liberty (did a test drive before the Compass, and I am so glad I waited). Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in