New K&N air cleaner - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

New K&N air cleaner

I am getting a new K&N E-1998 filter today. cost $68 Canadian

Do I just drop it in the airbox and just drive like I used to.
or
Do I have to reset the computer by the gas pedal method so it can learn the new filter and driving
or
Do I have to disconnect the negative battery post and rest the who ECU for about an hour or more and drive so that the computer will learn a whole bunch of things.

What do you do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM

You don't need to do anything. Sensors in the air intake will adjust for air temp and air flow.

I would not use it if you're in dusty conditions a lot. Paper filters out much better then they do.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Administrator

That's is, just drop in your new filter and drive like you normally would, nothing else required.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I just dropped it in took about 45 minutes with the two back screws used a mini 1/8 drive with a deep socket.
I have had 3 K&N filters before and they were all drop ins, the last two were in a plastics wrapper and you could see that they were pre-oiled with a lot of oil to the touch. This one was a drum and it was pink in color but it felt dry, I was temped to give it a shot with the recharge kit but I had second thoughts of too much, might get some on the MAP. The OEM Mopar filter looked clean but I couldn't see much daylight at 2500 km. The jeep seemed to pull better better and the gas guage looks
better so far and 100-120 km/hr seems more easier to achieve. Noise level was OK I''ll put the OEM back on when I go to the Dealer and when hunting.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassygp288 View Post
Thanks, I just dropped it in took about 45 minutes with the two back screws used a mini 1/8 drive with a deep socket.
I have had 3 K&N filters before and they were all drop ins, the last two were in a plastics wrapper and you could see that they were pre-oiled with a lot of oil to the touch. This one was a drum and it was pink in color but it felt dry, I was temped to give it a shot with the recharge kit but I had second thoughts of too much, might get some on the MAP. The OEM Mopar filter looked clean but I couldn't see much daylight at 2500 km. The jeep seemed to pull better better and the gas guage looks
better so far and 100-120 km/hr seems more easier to achieve. Noise level was OK I''ll put the OEM back on when I go to the Dealer and when hunting.
no need to put the original back on when going back to the dealer. K&N guarantees that their filters will not effect the warranty.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 AM

The dealer won't pull the air filter for any reason. Some shops pull them on oil changes to sell you another one indicating its dirty and you need a new one. LOL

But the more grit that gets threw the harder it is on the engine. More frequent oil changes may help but I don't believe in the 8 -12k oil changes anyway. 5000km is about the maximum I almost ok with depending on what oil and time of year etc.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in