2011-2013 Compass question - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

2011-2013 Compass question

Hi everyone,

I currently own a 2012 Corolla but am seriously thinking about trading it for a 4x4 Jeep Compass. Never owned a 4x4 vehicle before (I'm in the Deep South) but like the thought of having the versatility of a 4x4 system. My wife has a Jeep Patriot which I like a lot but I think I like the looks of the Compass better. How do you like your 4x4 Compass? Main complaints or praises for the Compass would be appreciated.

Charles
Cairo, Georgia

2012 Jeep Compass Latitude aka the Train Chaser
Bright White/4x2/CVT/Dark Slate Gray interior

Uconnect® Voice Command with Bluetooth-Uconnect® 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD-Security and Convenience Group

Mods: "Jeep" shift knob-Uniden BC125AT scanner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 PM

I would say stick with the Corolla
post #3 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 PM

Garage
I currently own a 2012 Compass and in the past I also owned another Compass and a Patriot. I never had any issue with any of them. The 4x4 system is one of the best ever made for driving in snowy conditions (I'm talking Canada here). I do most of my driving in town and in highways around Toronto, but twice a year when I go hunting I'm not afraid of putting the jeep in trails or deep snow.

Neither the Patriot or the Compass have the same bells and whistles that come in other brands' SUVs, but indeed it cost a lot, a lot less. I bought the Compass brans new last october with the North All Season Package, Sun and Sound package, towing package and 4x4 paying less that I would pay for a basic Honda, Hyundai or Toyota.

I can't speak for all the other owners, but at least to me the jeep is always being extremely reliable (specially considering that sometimes I abuse my equipment), never got stuck (even in deep snow trails in west Pennsylvania during hunting season) and has pretty decent fuel economy considering it's weight and 4x4 capabilities.

If you have a use for the 4x4 and/or the extra room, go for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Ok I've got one yes and one no...

Seeing gas prices today ($3.73/gal) made me think hard about trading my 33-40 mpg Corolla for a 20-25 mpg Jeep. I love our Patriot and would love to have the 4WD if I needed it. Thanks for the input so far...I look foward to hearing more!

Charles
Cairo, Georgia

2012 Jeep Compass Latitude aka the Train Chaser
Bright White/4x2/CVT/Dark Slate Gray interior

Uconnect® Voice Command with Bluetooth-Uconnect® 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD-Security and Convenience Group

Mods: "Jeep" shift knob-Uniden BC125AT scanner
post #5 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 AM

Can't really say much either way for or against the Compass Vs Corolla, since I've never had a Corrola, and just got our Compass on Monday (and I've only driven it once since, it's the wife's!) but, I might pass on a bit of wisdom, my wife imparted in me when we were looking to purchase. I was sold on her having a 4x4 version, you know, just in case....then she asked me a simple question...how many times have I put my truck in 4 wheel drive? Ummmm well, a couple of times on my buddies farm....just to see if it still worked, and get it moving a bit so it doesn't seize up or something.....

If you don't NEED 4 wheel drive, I would steer away from it, the difference in price, between the 4X4 and 2X4, difference in milage, and the additional eventual maintenance costs, really don't make it worth while. If I lived in Montana, you bet I'd have it. I also like it on my truck, just in case....but we just don't get weather that needs it regularly, and don't plan on taking the compass anywhere more demanding than a Wal-Mart parking lot.....so, we went with the 4X2. We looked at other brands, but got the compass for thousands less. Wife likes it so far, good luck on your purchase, in the end, you need to get what YOU want.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 PM

Got the 2013 Compass about a week ago...great so far! I was driving a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport before the jeep and I was getting about 13mpg. The 20-25 mpg I'm getting now is great. I'll sum up some pros and cons about it and if you have any questions I'll do some experimenting and let you know:

I have the 2013 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4

PROS:
  • Gas mileage (20-27mpg)
  • 4x4 capabilities
  • Smooth ride
  • Lots of room
  • Aggressive appearance (this depends on person to person)
  • Great traction (can drive 20mph around an icy, snowy, neighborhood street without slipping)
  • CUP HOLDERS WITH LEDs AROUND THE INSIDE (important, I know)
  • Quiet engine
  • Cannot feel when the car shifts gears because of the VVT
  • Comfortable to sit in and drive ( I'm 5' 11" tall)
  • Heated front seats

CONS:
  • Weak 4 cylinder engine
  • Slow to accelerate, even at full throttle
  • Compared to today's cars, MPG is mediocre, but it is an SUV
  • Small gas tank (13.5 gal -- although this does make it cheap to fill up)
post #7 of 8 Old 03-04-2013, 03:37 AM

I personally have not done any offroading or snow conditions because I live in Virginia beach, va but I love mine so far and I think if you bought one early in its life 2011-2013 with less then 36k miles its going to be very nice car if you follow the scheduled maint in the owners manual to a "T". Mine gets nice fuel economy compared to last car and if there is little bump it doesn't make you feel bad cause its made to take much worse abuse.

This car is actually my wifes and im thinking about trading my bmw in for 2012 compass sport later this month because I love it so much.

/// BMW 2006 330i - Sport,Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Manual Tranny
Jeep 2011 Compass Sport, Auto
post #8 of 8 Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 PM

Garage
Bought my wife a 2013 sport 4x4 and she loves it. We live in northwestern montana...so needless to say 4x4 is the prefered ride. We had an 08 seabring and totaled it into a guard rail in mid december(no injuries thankfully). Took her car shopping, she had done about two months of solid research, we made one stop test drove, and financed. Amazing it only took about 3 hrs from start of shopping to finish, we go to the mall it takes 6 hrs to pick a pair of shoes..lol. But all in all a great little suv. Not a lot of power, but im not planning on hot rodding or pulling a 30' fifth wheel with it so it suits our needs fine. You gotta LOVE IT, is the only advice i have for getting any car. You are stuck with it for quite a while. Test Drive, Test Drive, Test Drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in