New owner couple questions - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gunner92

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Question New owner couple questions

Just purchased a new 2013 Jeep Compass Latitude . A 2.4 L automatic transmission 4x4 . Couple of questions . The button to the right of the first seat heater button with a pic of a car and some tire tracks , I'am assuming this button controls the AWD ? If depressed I see a off light on the instrument panel . Would it be better to run with this system off during the summer months to save on gas ? Also I tried the 4WD T-handle and it engaged perfectly , does the AWD button need to be on or off to engage the 4WD .? Also will the 4WD lock and engage completely , that is without the automatic system switching it off ? Thanks for the answers .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudford View Post
Just purchased a new 2013 Jeep Compass Latitude . A 2.4 L automatic transmission 4x4 . Couple of questions . The button to the right of the first seat heater button with a pic of a car and some tire tracks , I'am assuming this button controls the AWD ? If depressed I see a off light on the instrument panel . Would it be better to run with this system off during the summer months to save on gas ? Also I tried the 4WD T-handle and it engaged perfectly , does the AWD button need to be on or off to engage the 4WD .? Also will the 4WD lock and engage completely , that is without the automatic system switching it off ? Thanks for the answers .
The button you are pressing is the Electronic Stability Control off button; this has nothing to do with your 4WD. Your Electronic Stability Control has nothing to do with your fuel economy either. The 4WD T-handle also has nothing to do with your Electronic Stability Control button. You would turn the Electronic Stability Control only if you get stuck in the snow or mud so you can "spin" your tires to get free; the ESC system limits tire spinning to keep you in control. Hope this helps!

Charles
Cairo, Georgia

2012 Jeep Compass Latitude aka the Train Chaser
Bright White/4x2/CVT/Dark Slate Gray interior

Uconnect® Voice Command with Bluetooth-Uconnect® 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD-Security and Convenience Group

Mods: "Jeep" shift knob-Uniden BC125AT scanner
post #3 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 11:22 PM

The button controls the Traction Control, not the whole ESP. TC is always on except when you hit the button to turn it off. When the TC kicks in (example: the vehicle notices a certain amount of wheel spin) the ESP light will flash on the dash and you might feel some vibrations from the brakes pulsating on the wheel that has wheel spin. If you have an extreme amount of wheel spin the vehicle will cut engine power to regain control. When the Traction Control is turned off the ESP light remains solid until the traction control is turned back on or the vehicle is turned off. While off you will have full wheel spin. Also, my theory is the TC will kick in to assist with traction after the AWD kicks in.

The T handle engages an Electronic Lock on your AWD system to make front and rear axles work together no matter what the road conditions are. This is similar to a 4Hi on a standard transfer case. This lock will stay on up to 35MPH I believe. Under normal conditions (the 4lock is off) the compass is in FWD. When slippage is detected the AWD kicks in to feed power to rear axle. When full traction is regained. Power transfer to the rear is stopped.
In deep snow some AWDs can be a problem b/c by time the AWD system notices slip and goes to kick in the rear. The vehicle is already close to being stuck or is stuck. However the Compass's FD1 AWD is really quick to detecting slippage and my wife hasn't had any problems in deep snow.
I think we used the 4lock once b/c I purposely drove into deep snow to test out the 4lock.

Only use the 4lock in snow/dirt/mud/loose terrain. Using it on dry pavement can hurt the system since when turning inner and outer wheels travel at different speeds.

If I'm wrong about anything please anyone chime in and correct me.
My experience with the compass is based on what my wife tells me and my fives minutes in a parking lot of deep snow to test the 4lock. The Compass is her ride. It's a 2007 Limited model. I've driven the compass plenty of times but not on a day to day basis in all kinds of weather.
I drive a 2006 KJ (aka liberty) with Command-Trac. The KJ does have ESP as well and from what I can tell both the compass and KJ ESP are similar . Big post here but obviously I don't know what you know about the Jeep. Either way, I hope it helps with understanding the system.

Last edited by Chiefrudy; 03-30-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Good info Chiefrudy . I did try the 4x4 with the T-Handle on dry pavement for only about 100 feet , does work well . It does make sense that 35 MPH would be a top speed while in 4x4 . That is why I bought the Compass , I wanted a true capable 4 Wheel Drive vehicle , not just a AWD . The owners manual on the Compass is really lacking in explaining it's AWD verses 4x4 functions . Thanks .
post #5 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudford View Post
Good info Chiefrudy . I did try the 4x4 with the T-Handle on dry pavement for only about 100 feet , does work well . It does make sense that 35 MPH would be a top speed while in 4x4 . That is why I bought the Compass , I wanted a true capable 4 Wheel Drive vehicle , not just a AWD . The owners manual on the Compass is really lacking in explaining it's AWD verses 4x4 functions . Thanks .
Not a problem buddy. I'm new to this forum too but I've had a Jeep for the past 7 years so I share the knowledge when I can.

I think the compass will turn off the 4lock after 35MPG automatically. I'm not sure what the reasons are for it. Maybe to much strain on the dive train at those speeds to have constant power sent to both axles.

But 35 MPH isn't a top speed for all vehicles with AWD/4WD. All kinds of AWD vehicles may feature lower or higher 4lock limits. My uncles Honda SUV has a 4lock that only works up to 20MPH. Also, Now all vehicles with AWD have a 4lock. My company just got 2 new Chevy Express vans for the Techs and they have AWD but no 4lock option.

SUVs/Trucks with a true transfer case really don't have speed limit when it comes to 4Hi. With my Liberty I can shift on the fly into 4HI up to 55MPH but once I'm in 4Hi I can push past 55MPH no problem. I've never really shifted into 4Hi above 35-40MPH but I've driven up to the 50-55MPH in 4Hi. Basic motto is when in 4Hi, Don't drive faster than conditions allow you too.

Explore Jeep Capabilities | 4WD Systems | Jeep
Check out the link above it will explain the different systems with Videos.
You probably have the Freedom Drive 1. Unless you have a compass with the off road package then in that case you have FD2.
I have the Command-Trac system. I know Liberty isn't listed as model to have it on this page but that's b/c I have a KJ Liberty (02 to 07 Models)
post #6 of 7 Old 03-16-2016, 03:04 AM

I can't figure out how to post here I hope this is right.. I have a 2008 compass the tc light comes on and I can't go more than about 30 mph. My battery had some corrosion that was cleaned but I'm not finding any button for tc what could be wrong? Please help!
post #7 of 7 Old 03-18-2016, 05:55 AM

Hey there Samantha, you will figure out how to use the board soon. Visit the link below and click the New Thread button to start new discussion about your questions.

Jeep Compass General Discussion - Jeep Compass Forum

Sounds like you are on limp mode.
Hilda likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in