Keyfob issue - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 04-02-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Keyfob issue

I purchased my Compass (2013 Latitude) on Presidents day. the day after I noticed it took a while to lock the doors from the key fob (about 20 seconds). I thought this was very strange. I called up my dealership to ask them if this was normal. It turns out that it is not normal (obviously!). After taking to the dealership 7 times to where they had given me loaners and rental cars each time, they replaced the receiver (twice) and the integrated power module but the problem persisted. It was only when I started speaking with the service manager did we start barking up the right tree. It turns out that I have a Garmin nuvi 205W GPS. Under normal circumstances I leave the GPS plugged into the 12V port. Since this is a switched "outlet" the GPS turns on and off as the car does. The problem is that when I turn the car off, then open the door the Garming gives me three choices. Either leave the GPS on, turn it off or wait 30 seconds for the countdown to finish and then it will turn off. While the GPS is going through its countdown is when I have the problem. My dealership is telling me there is RF interference between my GPS and my key for reveiver. Does anyone know the rf frequency of the key fob? Has anyone had this issue? Please let me know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 AM

That's new too me as well. Never had an issue in any of my cars like that with my garmin. However I always have my gps tucked away and off before I get out if the car
I think the fob frequency rotates to make it harder for car thief's to scan for them. Or maybe the code the fob uses to communicate to the car rotates. Cant remember now...

Have you ever thought of just manually turning off the gps or putting it away when not in use?

Personally. I wouldn't think twice about leaving my gps out in the open. I use mine for work all day and it sucks constantly taking it off the windshield but I've seen vehicles broken into for far less

Last edited by Chiefrudy; 04-03-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in