New CVT Transmssion warranty ? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

New CVT Transmssion warranty ?

I have a 2013 Jeep Compass Latitude with the CVT transmission . I have to admit when I bought the Jeep several weeks ago I did not even know what a CVT was ? After calling the Jeep dealership they stated do not worry that they had worked out all the bugs by the 2013 model year . I also called the Jeep factory Rep . and they said , " Jeep has recently increased the Powertrain warranty to 5 years or 100,000 miles" . Were the model years prior to 2013 have less of a powertrain warranty ? I feel better now about my Compass now having a 100,000 CVT transmission warranty . I heard the CVT is $ 4,000-$5,000 to replace ? I will just trade it prior to the warranty ending . I know the 2014 model will have a standard transmission not the CVT . I love how the CVT shifts but I have recently heard a whistle noise .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 02:37 AM

Garage
I bought my 2012 last october and it came with the bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years or 60.000km and powertrain warranty for 5 years or 100.000km.

I'm pretty sure the 2010 patriot I owned before the Compass had exactly the same warranty, and that's why I traded it in when completed the 60.000km

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudford View Post
I have a 2013 Jeep Compass Latitude with the CVT transmission . I have to admit when I bought the Jeep several weeks ago I did not even know what a CVT was ? After calling the Jeep dealership they stated do not worry that they had worked out all the bugs by the 2013 model year . I also called the Jeep factory Rep . and they said , " Jeep has recently increased the Powertrain warranty to 5 years or 100,000 miles" . Were the model years prior to 2013 have less of a powertrain warranty ? I feel better now about my Compass now having a 100,000 CVT transmission warranty . I heard the CVT is $ 4,000-$5,000 to replace ? I will just trade it prior to the warranty ending . I know the 2014 model will have a standard transmission not the CVT . I love how the CVT shifts but I have recently heard a whistle noise .
For the Compass 2010-2014 model years, the limited powertrain warranty in the States was 5 years/100,000 miles whichever came first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 PM

Yep I heard that to and a dealer here in Toronto confirmed that. Canadians never got that warranty. We got taken advantage of and pay more here still for the same vehicle.

I am done with any new designs especially North American. Quality and durability has been pulled our of the engineering and cheap substituted in. CVT's are notoriously expensive to replace and would never buy anything with one again. They can't warranty it enough to make me comforable. A good automatic can do 200,000km if maintained and has a cooler on it. Even towing a lot.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 PM

Our 2008 Compass Sport's CVT went bad at 75,000 miles last summer. Most of the miles were highway, usually at 70+ mph.

Fortunately the 2008's came with the Chrysler Limited Lifetime drivetrain warranty. The primary symptom was that the tranny was getting consistently louder and coarser in sound, culminating with a final "overheat" and my wife learning what "limp mode" is all about - on the highway!

Chrysler made the dealer try a few things before authorizing the replacement, but to their credit they sprung for us to have access to a Hertz rental for well over a week while it was in the shop. Total out-of-pocket cost: $0

The new tranny has been working flawlessly.

The latest repair installment at the dealer just nicked me for $861 for a new alternator, serpentine belt, and cooling system flush and refill. The 5 year check inspection that Chrysler requires to keep the warranty active was performed, which resulted in a free repair of a leaking oil pan gasket.

The other bad news is that now the dealer tells me that the lower control arm bushings are shot, and the arm assemblies should be replaced to the tune of well over $800. THAT repair will be being performed some time in the near future by a local auto shop that I take my other vehicles to, and he'll be using some non-OEM parts like Moog. I learned about these from other online discussions about this known weakness in Calibers/Compasses/Patriots.

We've actually loved driving our Compass the past 5 years, and the problems have been fairly minor (other than the tranny). But.... it is apparent that these vehicles do have their Achilles heel(s)!

-CSM

Last edited by CompassSportMan; 04-13-2013 at 09:42 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 PM

You can do the lower control arms yourself. I did the passenger side last year due to a wearing ball joint. Just starting to go. I thought the inner tie rod was worn a bit but it wasn't but the passenger side is all done. A garage should not take long to swap the arm. It took be longer to get it in then out and likely much easier on a hoist.

If that as was nicking you I hate to see them hit you. LOL

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #7 of 7 Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 AM

warranty

I have a 2012..Bought new in Richmond BC..3 year /60000 bumper to bumper...5 year/100000...powertrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in