Valvoline NexGen: Noisy - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 05-15-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Valvoline NexGen: Noisy

I just did an oil drain & fill last weekend with Valvoline NexGen 5w20. Also used my usual Purolator filter along with it.

However, I noticed much more significant engine noise with my 2.4 liter motor this time around. Especially the valve train and what sounds like the timing chain.

Previously, the oil fills had always been Mobil 1 and Pennzoil. Those oils always performed quietly and smooth.

I asked some folks on the Bob The Oil Guy Forum about this & they mentioned that it was probably lack of moly in the oil vs. the other brands.

Not that Valvoline is a bad name; I use it all the time in my 4.0 Cherokee and 1996 GMC. They both get Valvoline MaxLife & they are smooth running, with good gas mileage.

Guess it's time to switch back to Pennzoil or Mobil for the Compass? Anyone else notice this with these GEMA engines?

EM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-16-2013, 04:25 AM

Whats the reason behind using different oils? I say pick one and stick with it.

My combo has always been Mobil 1 Full synthetic and a Purolator Pure One filter with all my vehicles except the 1981 Mercedes 300CD. That gets Purolator Classic Filter and Castrol GTX 20W-50.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Noise is not good especially when other brands have not done the same.

Get it out as soon as you can. I would not worry about the oil filter since the volume is quite small. The great majority of oil I have used with total satisfaction is Quakerstate. I currently have their synthetic in my Compass in the last two oil changes and just done a few weeks ago. I do use their dino oils as well. Can't go wrong with them.

I don't use Valvoline but had a few times and in two vehicles all my oil seal disintegrated (big expense) never again. I see it on sale but just walk on by.

I have used Penzoil in my vehicles both dino and synthetic but mostly the synthetic I find on sale in my GC.

I'd get that oil changed right away!!! Use a Wix or equivalent filter. I started using an extended filter. Its longer and hold more oil, longer change interval that I am more comfortable with since there is more filtration.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 05-16-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in