Thoughts on oversized filters - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thoughts on oversized filters

Hello all I just wanted to hear everybodys thoughts on oversized filters (purely curiosity) and if you do oversize what is the product number.

I have an 07 by the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 AM

Oversized filter for what exactly? Never heard of such a thing to be honest. Have always got the filter that fits my Air box and Engine.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
like oil filter wise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimis View Post
like oil filter wise
I am using Wix 57045 which is a longer version of the OEM size. There are bigger alternatives as well but. It gives more collection capacity before the bypass has to open (not good). You still need to do regular oil changes.

I use an oversized filter in my GC as well and in both cases more oil is needed each oil change.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What would be even more oversized
post #6 of 12 Old 07-05-2013, 02:16 PM

There are 51372 & 57899 neither of which I've tried. You can see the differences in size on Wix spec's but other than cost as some filter sizes are cheaper going much larger gains little and requires more oil. I pretty well use 5L with the filter I am using now.

You should not use these filters as an excuse to not change your oil. The proper intervals should not be exceeded. Filters don't make the oil any better so they last longer. They remove harmful particles from engine damage and wear.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 04:04 PM

This is what I use:

post #8 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Yeah I see a huge difference. My thinking is that using the one I am is already longer by about an inch or so offering more filtering. Having a filter at double or tripple the capacity does not exclude changing the oil at a longer interval. It only gives you the capacity to hold more contaminant particles in the filter. Oil still need to be changed. Since I've used Synthetic oil at the moment I am letting it run with the bigger filter to the alert message but not longer. The engineers pre-determined this as needed point to change without synthetic oil and standard filter. Pushing it further is not worth the risk and if the engine needs more than 5L its a problem for oil changes. At the moment it needs 5L or extremely close so I am good the way it is.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Yeah I see a huge difference. My thinking is that using the one I am is already longer by about an inch or so offering more filtering. Having a filter at double or tripple the capacity does not exclude changing the oil at a longer interval. It only gives you the capacity to hold more contaminant particles in the filter. Oil still need to be changed. Since I've used Synthetic oil at the moment I am letting it run with the bigger filter to the alert message but not longer. The engineers pre-determined this as needed point to change without synthetic oil and standard filter. Pushing it further is not worth the risk and if the engine needs more than 5L its a problem for oil changes. At the moment it needs 5L or extremely close so I am good the way it is.
5000km oil change with synthetic 5W30. Oil for an engine it's like blood for human it's better to keep it clean.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 04:43 PM

I agree that is why I don't push it beyond spec's and my last time the alert came on around 5900km. If I was on dino oil I would have changed it by then already. I do stick to the OEM spec of 5W20 however. I am not certain the heavier grade you use it helping the engine and may also push oil pressures higher and if too high may damage seals.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #11 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 06:50 PM

5W20 it's only for fuel economy. 5W30 better protection during summer at least.

BTW you know why our jeep use ATF-4? I will tell you, to save money like this the dealer keep one oil in the garage for any tranny. I got some friends in SRT Engineer... Same for no synthetic fluid for diff... lol Now do what you want but I got 100% synthetic Redline 75w90 in my diff and manuel tranny fluid Redline MT-90 trans fluid and my jeep did not explode yet.

Last edited by realtune; 08-10-2013 at 07:33 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 AM

Changed today

Well enough waiting for the Change Oil light to come on this time. I did the filter 57045 and 5L of Synthetic oil to bring it to the full line. Turns out it had 6000km on the last synthetic oil I put in.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in