Towing my ATV - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Towing my ATV

Its been a while since I ventured in the site. Just recently bought a new atv which weighs 650lb and a new trailer which weighs 350lb. I am at 1,000 lbs. My question is can I tow them with my compass. I have a 2010 with a 2.4 ltr motor with a CVT. Since its my only form of transportation I dont want to damage anything. All suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you
JR

Last edited by Jeepin; 07-02-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Your weight specific capability is clearly indicated in the owners manual. I may vary with years and builds of the power train. A dealer service department should be able to confirm if the manual is not clear.

Normally thats ok. My ATV is in the same ball park dry weight. Note: Short rural or city towing is much easier than highway high speed towing. Hence you need to consider that. If you are towing in the summer then there is more heat exposure and my recommendation is to use Synthetic engine oil. It will help.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. And yes I had looked at the manual and it stated 1,000 lb of towing. Since I was at that limit, I figured I chime in and get some advice. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Like I said it also depends when and where you're doing it. Condition that are harsh make an impact. 30+C temp and hill climbing are not advised by me at least high speeds (more wind drag). etc

PS:
I have a large snowmobile trailer with two sled (likely 1200-1400lb) plus trailer etc. On short drives in the Winter. You have that cooling helping the vehicle. I DO run synthetic oil in the Winter for better lubrication and easier starts. I am this summer as well at the moment. Towing heats the engine which works harder but the CVT itself due to the design is not suppose to get hotter. Unlike a regular automatic. There is a cooling oil kit listed in the manual which raises the capacity to 2000lbs. It is however a Engine oil cooler, not a transmission cooler as I originally thought reading it. I would appear the engine is not sufficiently engineered to handle the heavier load. That is why all factors need to be assessed. I would not tow it in the Rocky Mountains highways or very long summer runs when it hot outside. If you use a good oil filter (EG Wix) and name brand Synthetic oil (QuakerState, Castrol, Penzoil for Example) you should be fine. They dispense engine heat better and tollerate higher internal temperature far better than a conventionaly dino oil.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 07-04-2013 at 01:05 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Good advice, thanks again.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-15-2013, 02:35 PM

I towed my ATV (KQ 700) in my adapted tent trailer which is just big enough for it and light. With the steel ramps in it. I estimate the tow was 800lbs or a tad more but. This is the first time I have towed that much with it. Highway driving approx 110km/hr on the 401. I did not have a problem maintaining speed. The engine RPM's really take off with any accelerating pulley that though. On the merge lane coming of the ramp I hit 5000RPM without much effort to get up to speed. Wow, it does not lug in a gear as a normal automatic would and then downshift if required. The engine just revs to 3500 or so often just to compensate for the load on slight grades. I used cruise control a lot since the throttle was useless. Not sense of pulling or power at all.

The big thing here is the braking is pretty much over loaded in my opinion. I got into a big slow down where traffic had dropped to a very slow pace. I applied the brakes but very little braking without standing on them pretty hard and even then. Don't expect to slow down in a hurry. I usually brake well in advance and good I did.

The Compass brakes are very good for the vehicles own weight but with the trailer load pushing pretty much makes them useless in an emergency situation or fast slow down is needed. I hate to try it with a heavier load like a two snowmobile trailer that I'd use in the winter time. I have the advantage of the cold weather to keep things cool but that won't make the brakes grab much more only cool faster.

I don't tow often but there is a guy looking to tow a travel trailer with a new one over 3x this weight. LOL good luck I say and double good luck stopping with a parachute. They'd need electric brakes in that trailer or look out.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in