My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Observations on complaints about the Compass

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  smokey01 
#1 · (Edited)
Item 1)
Road noise: Seems like Jeep decided to take the cheap route when it comes to tires. The Compass is VERY loud with the original tires. But switching to tires like the Yokohama Avids have greatly improved the noise level and the handling and ride.

Item 2)
Leaking sunroof: This is a major problem with many of the Compass owners that have this option. I do not have this option on my Compass but I have experienced it on other cars. Jeep dealers are stating that it is usually problems with a kinked or plugged drain line. I have also found that the sunroof on most cars have a "sweet spot" where it seals the best. This is not always at the full stop position. This is a real problem that Chrysler needs to address. It is apparently a design and engineering issue.

Item 3)
MPG: I have the Limited automatic with autostick. While doing mostly interstate driving (well under the speed limit) I managed to achieve 28.63 mpg. This is an accomplishment that I am not likely to duplicate. Usually I manage to get about 24 mpg in mixed driving with the air conditioner running. I also have the 4x4.... EPA estimates I should get 24 mpg highway WOW the govment got it right for once!

Item 4)
Financial problems with Chrysler: American car makers are having problems right now and Chrysler is certainly no exception. This has created dealership closings and a shortage of spare parts. If someone has the time and ability I would like to see a thread that cross lists Compass parts with other makes and models. This is a problem that may not soon sort itself out.

MISC
There are a number of problems that I have read about here in the forum that are simply maintenance issues. It rains so much here in Tennessee I am likely to wear out wiper blades much faster than most. I also run the air conditioner most of the year; I expect to have issues with AC at an earlier date than my Canadian friends. On the other hand we don't see many chemicals used on the roadways here to melt snow and ice so I expect to have fewer corrosion problems.

There are unique issues such as the motor continuing to run after the ignition is turned off. This could be a problem with the wiring or fuel pump or even bad gasoline which results in a problem called dieseling.

There are failures of individual components such as shocks or brakes. With a complex machine like an automobile there are going to be failures of various parts some of which can be attributed to a poorly manufactured part or damage caused by the operator or environment. Frequently the cause will be normal wear and tear caused by usage.

See less See more
#2 ·
That's an excellent list CL. I currently have the solution to the ESP problem that we have been faced with as well. There is a computer update to make the switch into the 3 mode as the owners manual describes. I don't have the tsb number at the moment but I can get it tomorrow for anyone interested. Mine is getting flashed on tuesday so I'll let you know how it goes.

#6 ·
I'm looking at the yokohama geolanders. Need the traction for mud.

#7 ·
I just got my jeep back from the dealer and guess what..... My ESP does exactly what the manual says it should now! So If you have a 4X4 jeep compass made before October 23 2008 (it says MDH10XX08 on the door sticker XX being the day of manufacture) the TSB number is 05-003-09. Only took me a year and 2 dealerships to get it done but now i'm happy.

#10 · (Edited)
In the owners manual for the 4X4 compasses only if you hold the esp button for 5 seconds you should get a chime and in the odometer the message "ESP OFF" should appear. At certain build dates it doesn't and that was my issue. After only 1 year of fighting with my stealership I called another and they did the computer flash required to repair it. I had maybe read about this issue on another forum and could be thinking of it being more of an issue there.

#12 ·
It automatically comes back on when you turn the key off but under certain curcumstance I prefer not to have the ESP/BAS come on when I know there will be slippage and want all 4 wheels to pull instead of the vehicle deciding where to put the power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.