Observations on complaints about the Compass - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Observations on complaints about the Compass

Item 1)
Road noise: Seems like Jeep decided to take the cheap route when it comes to tires. The Compass is VERY loud with the original tires. But switching to tires like the Yokohama Avids have greatly improved the noise level and the handling and ride.

Item 2)
Leaking sunroof: This is a major problem with many of the Compass owners that have this option. I do not have this option on my Compass but I have experienced it on other cars. Jeep dealers are stating that it is usually problems with a kinked or plugged drain line. I have also found that the sunroof on most cars have a "sweet spot" where it seals the best. This is not always at the full stop position. This is a real problem that Chrysler needs to address. It is apparently a design and engineering issue.

Item 3)
MPG: I have the Limited automatic with autostick. While doing mostly interstate driving (well under the speed limit) I managed to achieve 28.63 mpg. This is an accomplishment that I am not likely to duplicate. Usually I manage to get about 24 mpg in mixed driving with the air conditioner running. I also have the 4x4.... EPA estimates I should get 24 mpg highway WOW the govment got it right for once!

Item 4)
Financial problems with Chrysler: American car makers are having problems right now and Chrysler is certainly no exception. This has created dealership closings and a shortage of spare parts. If someone has the time and ability I would like to see a thread that cross lists Compass parts with other makes and models. This is a problem that may not soon sort itself out.

MISC
There are a number of problems that I have read about here in the forum that are simply maintenance issues. It rains so much here in Tennessee I am likely to wear out wiper blades much faster than most. I also run the air conditioner most of the year; I expect to have issues with AC at an earlier date than my Canadian friends. On the other hand we don't see many chemicals used on the roadways here to melt snow and ice so I expect to have fewer corrosion problems.

There are unique issues such as the motor continuing to run after the ignition is turned off. This could be a problem with the wiring or fuel pump or even bad gasoline which results in a problem called dieseling.

There are failures of individual components such as shocks or brakes. With a complex machine like an automobile there are going to be failures of various parts some of which can be attributed to a poorly manufactured part or damage caused by the operator or environment. Frequently the cause will be normal wear and tear caused by usage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 10-30-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 PM

Garage
That's an excellent list CL. I currently have the solution to the ESP problem that we have been faced with as well. There is a computer update to make the switch into the 3 mode as the owners manual describes. I don't have the tsb number at the moment but I can get it tomorrow for anyone interested. Mine is getting flashed on tuesday so I'll let you know how it goes.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #3 of 12 Old 10-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Great write up CL........we should keep this one as a reference point and add comments as we go along.

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-31-2009, 01:13 AM

Good points. I like the Yokohama Avids, they wear like iron and are quiet. My sunroof hasn't leaked yet and it has sat through many heavy rains.

|
|
post #5 of 12 Old 10-31-2009, 06:24 AM

I'm going to be having Dunlop Sig.Sports on mine once I get it (wheels and tires in my basment right now!). They're supposed to be really good - we'll see....
post #6 of 12 Old 10-31-2009, 06:38 PM

Garage
I'm looking at the yokohama geolanders. Need the traction for mud.

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #7 of 12 Old 11-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Garage
I just got my jeep back from the dealer and guess what..... My ESP does exactly what the manual says it should now! So If you have a 4X4 jeep compass made before October 23 2008 (it says MDH10XX08 on the door sticker XX being the day of manufacture) the TSB number is 05-003-09. Only took me a year and 2 dealerships to get it done but now i'm happy.

post #8 of 12 Old 11-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Smokey........excuse my ignorance but what was the issue here with the 3 mode?

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #9 of 12 Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
Smokey........excuse my ignorance but what was the issue here with the 3 mode?
Yes. I would like to hear more!

|
|
post #10 of 12 Old 11-04-2009, 11:33 AM

Garage
In the owners manual for the 4X4 compasses only if you hold the esp button for 5 seconds you should get a chime and in the odometer the message "ESP OFF" should appear. At certain build dates it doesn't and that was my issue. After only 1 year of fighting with my stealership I called another and they did the computer flash required to repair it. I had maybe read about this issue on another forum and could be thinking of it being more of an issue there.

Last edited by smokey01; 11-04-2009 at 11:36 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Yes ESP has been very hard to turn off especially when it comes on automatically.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-04-2009, 09:28 PM

Garage
It automatically comes back on when you turn the key off but under certain curcumstance I prefer not to have the ESP/BAS come on when I know there will be slippage and want all 4 wheels to pull instead of the vehicle deciding where to put the power.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in