Okay... Compass vs Patriot - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 39 Old 02-19-2007, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Okay... Compass vs Patriot

I can' t understand why I read so many bad reviews of the compass and some many positive for the patriot. Because of the exterior design? I really like compass more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-19-2007, 12:21 PM

i agree
post #3 of 39 Old 02-19-2007, 12:55 PM

It's probably in the public's eye that it resembles a real jeep because it offers a trail rated package. However, from reading the different Jeep forums, trail rated is just a marketing scheme for Jeep to hype and sell their product. I'm pretty sure that there will be parts and accessories offered for the Compass to satisfy the off-road enthusiastist. When Jeep Liberty first came out, there were similar comments bashing the model and style. About 90% of SUV owners don't use their vehicle to off-road so I don't really care what the consumers think since I don't plan on hitting the Rubicon trail anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 02-19-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

The Patriot' s Off-Road Package includes skid plates, front and rear tow hooks, a full-size spare tire, a driver-side seat-height adjuster, a 1-inch-higher ride height, an engine oil cooler and a low-range transaxle.
This equipment group augments the Patriot's optional on-demand, electronically controlled four-wheel-drive system with hill descent control (which modulates the brakes automatically to maintain low speed on steep declines).
Maybe the Off-Road Package doesn't turn the Patriot into a rock-crawler, but it helps the little Jeepster easily traverse trails far nastier than most Patriot owners are likely to attempt.

Oh god!!! So many differences!!! :lol:
post #5 of 39 Old 02-19-2007, 02:52 PM

Patriot

Yeah I'm not understanding the reviews at all. The one guess I have is that they are test driving the Limited Patriots with the trail rated package. And when they see the capability+price it somehow makes it ok.

To me either is a great vehicle. I'm not crazy for the 18" wheels tho on the Compass and I'm leaning towards the patriot for its better side visibility and more truck like corners (plus it starts out cheaper). I havent totally decided but the unkind reviews of one and not the other seem almost insane because of the similarities between the two.
post #6 of 39 Old 02-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator

It's kind of like I read somewhere else, Jeep could call a wheelbarow full of rocks "trailrated," and it would sell. It was indeed a good marketing technique for them, as it worked. Jeep "purists" are just afraid that by trying to make a Jeep for everyone that wants one is going to dilute the brand. I too, like the Compass better than the Patriot. However, I, too, am a Jeep purist, in that like so many other Jeep owners out there, I am very loyal to the brand. I love the styling and the features, even considering I had to put most of them back in the car, it is the perfect car for me, and I do most of my driving on-road. I have read some complaints about the Patriot being cheaper than the Compass, but if you consider DCX has taken all of the contents out, sure, the price is going to go down, but why bother going through all the trouble to secure financing, just to hand crank your windows, as that is your only source of air conditioning?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #7 of 39 Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 PM

options

The two options I know are different between the base models are:

The Compass has standard fog lights while the Patriot does not.
The Compass has standard 17" wheels while the Patriot offers standard 16" wheels.

Other then that they both start out as:
4x2
manual windows
manual door locks
no air conditioning
2.4 L world Engine
5 speed transmission
post #8 of 39 Old 02-19-2007, 04:22 PM
ACX

I'd wait and see how different pricing is in the canadian market if that is where you are looking..

The patriot is "more jeep" to the eyes of most especially purists.. Reviewers could not seem to get over the exterior, which is fine.. I was not convinced from the get go but price versus what you get, it was a great deal. The only more capable one will be the offroad model which should sweat you more money.

The main reason for getting a compass - it was around when we wanted a new vehicle.

I posted in another thread, anyone who follows the production can realize that it will probably be months before you can get a patriot ordered for yourself, and dealer stock will be sparse which will equal little room to dicker.

The compass did everything fine, and I wasn't going to wait 6-8 months before I could get something that would fit our needs.
post #9 of 39 Old 02-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator

The other problem I see with Patriot production is that there are so many things up in the air with DCX right now. We are the lucky ones who got the car we wanted when we did, especially, with the needle of Chrysler's compass pointing south right now. The only thing worse than that would be to see Jeep go overseas as about the only reason anyone wants to pick up Chrysler in the first place is to get their hands on that one gem, a.k.a. Jeep.I already felt bad for some of you who are still waiting on your car. I was originally going to order mine, but they had one at the dealership that was perfect, and I only had to change a couple of things from what my original order would have been, sunroof instead of 4x4, silver instead of khaki. Those features I consider an upgrade, because I am so very happy with the one I ended up getting!!! Hopefully Chrysler can pull it off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #10 of 39 Old 03-13-2007, 09:25 PM

Re: Okay... Compass vs Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I can' t understand why I read so many bad reviews of the compass and some many positive for the patriot. Because of the exterior design? I really like compass more...
Most of the reviews that I see say it's because the interior is better in the Patriot. Plus a lot of Jeep Lovers are mad because Jeep made a vehicle that isn't "Trail Rated" (which means it's not meant for serious off roading)

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4X4 (CVT)
post #11 of 39 Old 03-13-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train
It's probably in the public's eye that it resembles a real jeep because it offers a trail rated package. However, from reading the different Jeep forums, trail rated is just a marketing scheme for Jeep to hype and sell their product. I'm pretty sure that there will be parts and accessories offered for the Compass to satisfy the off-road enthusiastist. When Jeep Liberty first came out, there were similar comments bashing the model and style. About 90% of SUV owners don't use their vehicle to off-road so I don't really care what the consumers think since I don't plan on hitting the Rubicon trail anytime soon.
No. Jeep's "Trail Rated" means that it has passed Jeeps Off Road tests - I think there's 5 categories that it has to pass?

:!:

post #12 of 39 Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee
The other problem I see with Patriot production is that there are so many things up in the air with DCX right now. We are the lucky ones who got the car we wanted when we did, especially, with the needle of Chrysler's compass pointing south right now. The only thing worse than that would be to see Jeep go overseas as about the only reason anyone wants to pick up Chrysler in the first place is to get their hands on that one gem, a.k.a. Jeep.I already felt bad for some of you who are still waiting on your car. I was originally going to order mine, but they had one at the dealership that was perfect, and I only had to change a couple of things from what my original order would have been, sunroof instead of 4x4, silver instead of khaki. Those features I consider an upgrade, because I am so very happy with the one I ended up getting!!! Hopefully Chrysler can pull it off.
They want Chrysler's best selling mini vans too...

post #13 of 39 Old 03-13-2007, 11:21 PM
ACX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005
No. Jeep's "Trail Rated" means that it has passed Jeeps Off Road tests and has also sucessfully navigated the Rubicon Trail.
I'd be surprised if anywhere near the majority of patriots came with the offroad package, although it will be a cool first for the segment.

As for the chrysler troubles, we'll see what shakes out, as private equity firms seem to be vying for a potential sale. I still would be surprised to see anything change per say from a consumer standpoint. They could in theory sell some parts and liquidate the rest but we'll see.

I'll go on record again to say - chrysler messed up pricing the compass a grand above the patriot. As well I'm not sure what their plans are for volume. They still have not ramped up patriot production like I expected them to. Only 8k of them made thus far, vs 20k compasses this year and over 40k calibers.
post #14 of 39 Old 03-14-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACX
Quote:
No. Jeep's "Trail Rated" means that it has passed Jeeps Off Road tests and has also sucessfully navigated the Rubicon Trail.
I'd be surprised if anywhere near the majority of patriots came with the offroad package, although it will be a cool first for the segment.

As for the chrysler troubles, we'll see what shakes out, as private equity firms seem to be vying for a potential sale. I still would be surprised to see anything change per say from a consumer standpoint. They could in theory sell some parts and liquidate the rest but we'll see.

I'll go on record again to say - chrysler messed up pricing the compass a grand above the patriot. As well I'm not sure what their plans are for volume. They still have not ramped up patriot production like I expected them to. Only 8k of them made thus far, vs 20k compasses this year and over 40k calibers.
The latest rumour is that Magna might buy Chrysler. I think that Chrysler will be okay. The Jeeps, Mini Vans, Calibers & 300's are all selling well.

post #15 of 39 Old 03-14-2007, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Most of the reviews that I see say it's because the interior is better in the Patriot. Plus a lot of Jeep Lovers are mad because Jeep made a vehicle that isn't "Trail Rated" (which means it's not meant for serious off roading)
But... both vehicles have the same interior!!!
post #16 of 39 Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 PM

[[email protected]][quote=Neely2005][quote="[email protected]":kkxurk0g]I can' t understand why I read so many bad reviews of the compass and some many positive for the patriot. Because of the exterior design? I really like compass more...[/quote]

Most of the reviews that I see say it's because the interior is better in the Patriot. Plus a lot of Jeep Lovers are mad because Jeep made a vehicle that isn't "Trail Rated" (which means it's not meant for serious off roading)[/quote]

But... both vehicles have the [b]same [/b]interior!!![/quote:kkxurk0g]

"The other good news is that the construction of the interior is not as embarrassingly cheap as the interiors of the Caliber and Compass are. It is merely cheap."

[url="http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=75633"]http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Dr ... leId=75633[/url]

post #17 of 39 Old 03-18-2007, 02:27 AM

Patriot

The interiors are the same - I can confirm this having tested both. Only difference was the Compass I drove was cloth and the Patriot had leather - other then that nothing comes to mind as being different.

Neely the Patriot is trail rated but Jeep has no plans to test it on the Rubicon. Which to me means its a light -medium trail capable vehicle. The trail rated badge only means it meets certain criteia for off roading - x number of inches of water fording x number of ground clearance etc. etc...
post #18 of 39 Old 03-20-2007, 12:33 AM

Bang on

Blasted for that perfect summary of what the vehicle is capable and not capable of - I think not. The compass competes and compares very well against car based suv cross overs. These crossovers are usually limited in off-road capability (cr-v/rav4's included). The Patriot is the same except for its one off trail rated version which tries to incorparate a little bit more of the off road Jeepness that goes with the brand name.

BTW competes well is an understatement in every category except interior. These Jeeps are great value for money.
post #19 of 39 Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 PM

I'm hoping to test drive a Patriot just for fun ... still none at the dealer in Yellowknife ..

I've been reading a lot of positive reviews about the Patriot, and they did sort of make me wish I could have waited .. but maybe a lot of it is hype ..

I'm not really planning on bashing my brand-new vehicle off road like I did with my old Exploder .... if I got properly stuck, or something broke, it didn't really matter ... I hiked out and got someone to come help ..

.. I'm still wondering why North America didn't get any Diesel love ... and why you can't get a manual Patriot with the Freedom Drive II ...

visibility in my compass leaves something to be desired .. I'd be interested in test driving to check the difference in the Patriot ..
post #20 of 39 Old 04-26-2007, 06:52 PM

There are some good Compass & Patriot Comparisons in this article:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3299

post #21 of 39 Old 04-26-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTCommuter
I'm hoping to test drive a Patriot just for fun ... still none at the dealer in Yellowknife ..

I've been reading a lot of positive reviews about the Patriot, and they did sort of make me wish I could have waited .. but maybe a lot of it is hype ..

I'm not really planning on bashing my brand-new vehicle off road like I did with my old Exploder .... if I got properly stuck, or something broke, it didn't really matter ... I hiked out and got someone to come help ..

.. I'm still wondering why North America didn't get any Diesel love ... and why you can't get a manual Patriot with the Freedom Drive II ...

visibility in my compass leaves something to be desired .. I'd be interested in test driving to check the difference in the Patriot ..
"They might, but not right now, as they don't yet have a suitable diesel for North America because of new, stricter emissions. The diesel engine sold in Europe can't be sold here, and the same goes for the Liberty CRD, which will be discontinued after 2006."

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/pre ... 87&tb=view

post #22 of 39 Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 PM

post #23 of 39 Old 05-03-2007, 06:33 PM

post #24 of 39 Old 05-04-2007, 01:10 PM

Re: Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassFan
Yeah I'm not understanding the reviews at all. The one guess I have is that they are test driving the Limited Patriots with the trail rated package. And when they see the capability+price it somehow makes it ok.

To me either is a great vehicle. I'm not crazy for the 18" wheels tho on the Compass and I'm leaning towards the patriot for its better side visibility and more truck like corners (plus it starts out cheaper). I havent totally decided but the unkind reviews of one and not the other seem almost insane because of the similarities between the two.
Is your comment regarding better side visibility on the Compass related to the window shape?
post #25 of 39 Old 05-09-2007, 08:37 PM

Trail Rated = Rubicon!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train
"Unlike the FWD Jeep Compass that debuted earlier, the Patriot is trail-rated, which means it had to take on the mighty, toughest off-road course in North American ó the Rubicon Trail test ó and survive."

http://www6.autonet.ca/Spotlight/NewMod ... 42231.html

post #26 of 39 Old 05-15-2007, 06:25 AM

Compass / Patriot

Hey, I read that the sales for DCX were up only because of the Wrangler and COMPASS sales fro the month of April. Car & Driver has some cool things to say about the Compass, and the Caopass was rated # ( on the 10 best SUV's. It is just taking time for people to see how much more you get for the $ in the Compass over the patriot.

farout
post #27 of 39 Old 05-16-2007, 02:10 AM

Re: Compass / Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by farout
Hey, I read that the sales for DCX were up only because of the Wrangler and COMPASS sales fro the month of April. Car & Driver has some cool things to say about the Compass, and the Caopass was rated # ( on the 10 best SUV's. It is just taking time for people to see how much more you get for the $ in the Compass over the patriot.

farout
What number did they rate it?

post #28 of 39 Old 05-16-2007, 05:37 PM

On the Chard the Wrangler Unlimited was #2 with the Toyota FJ as # 1 and the Compass was #9 out of the top ten SUV's. I did not thing the compass would even be on the list frankly. I think the Compass is very under rated.

farout
post #29 of 39 Old 05-16-2007, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

After 3 months of having my compas... I AM IN LOVE WITH IT.
post #30 of 39 Old 05-17-2007, 02:58 PM

Re: Compass / Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by farout

farout
Link:

http://www.sys-con.com/read/373618.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in