Does the Cold effect your Compass ?? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Does the Cold effect your Compass ??

I have noticed on the really cold days that I have to turn my stereo off till it warms up a bit. The speakers make an awful sound, hard noise to describe it's like a crackle.

This morning it was extremely cold -29 C, I had to load some boxed in the back for the wife, closed the gate and started it up. The gate warning showed up in the console, tried to close it a few times but it would not latch. I grabbed a screw driver and was able to move the locking device, pull the handle to unlock it again, then tried to close it again but it still would not latch. We let it run for a few minutes (not the safest thing with exhaust fumes and all), about 5mins, and my wife was able to close it her first try. We had to drive with the windows open for a bit just to be safe.

I have also had the lag that some people are having with the acceleration till things have warmed up.

Anyone else having any issues with the cold and their Compass?

You would think that since they are made here in NA that they would do some testing in the extreme cold for the NA climate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 04:56 AM

We have had to slam our hatch repeatedly to get it to close whenever it was quite cold out. We also get the hesitation too but we have also had ours stall a few times when trying to drive it cold. My DH, a mechanic, says that that is very strange thing to happen on an electronically controlled vehicle. My front passenger door hinges don't seem to like the cold much either because they creak and groan when the door is opened. These things, among others, are on my list for the dealer to look at.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 03:32 PM
ACX

No major issues so far - than I experienced with any other vehicles. Things are little noisier with creaks and groans but no performance issues. For the hatch perhaps a lubricant suited to the cold would work better..

Thank god the cold weather (knock on wood) is gone for a few months though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 10:50 PM

My driver's side door creaks when I open and close it during the cold days. Will wait and see when the temp warms up in the next few days to see if the problem goes away.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 11:56 PM

Our hatch doesn't close at -30 either. When it warms up again, it's fine. Too bad.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 03:49 AM

Same here.

Unable to close hatch on cold winter days (under -25 Celsius). I was able to the other by closing it very hard.

Doors creaks when very cold also (under -15 Celsius)

As for the hesitation when I accelerate, I also have it intermittently when it is cold (under -20 Celsius). Sometimes it happens sometimes not. When it happens it is always very cold, but it doesn't happen every time it is cold.

Once, I was unable to accelerate at all. I had to drive about 300 feet under 20 km/h, accelerating only about 5 km/h every 100 feet or so even though I was flooring the gas pedal. Then, when I reached about 20 km/h, everything went back to normal and I started driving normally, accelerating like I wished. This happened to me twice, but the first time, it took only about 50 feet to fix itself. It only happens in the first minutes, the first time you start the truck in very cold weather, once it goes back to normal, it doesn't happen again.

Btw, I reported this to my dealer and they said they know about this and some other customers have the same issue with their Compass, but not everyone. Today they re-calibrated the gas pedal (it is electronic, no wires) and hope this might fix it.

RedVortex
post #7 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Is anyone getting the speaker crackling?
post #8 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Just a question, obviously all of you must have the north package as part of your car. What I wonder is if anyone who doesn't have that has the same problems when it is cold, with the liftgate and the acceleration and the doors creaking. As for me, it never gets that cold here. Below freezing is all we get, and for south Louisiana, that is pretty cold. Even so, the temperature doesn't seem to affect it, not that I have noticed anyway, and as long as it is new, I am constantly checking everything. What exactly is the north pachage? Just curious, heard the term before, but I have always lived down south. As for the speakers, I actually heard that for the first time a couple days ago. I was listening to some hip-hop, and not all that loud, but I thought I heard something, too, but not a crackle, more like a click, click, in time with the music. Just figured it was the bass. For that amount of money, I better not have any problems yet. First oil change next week, and also going to get the brake recall looked at, even though my ABS light is not on, knock on wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #9 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

The "North Package" is the 26E
post #10 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 03:23 AM
Administrator

So then they just call it something different. I thought I knew a lot about cars, but when I heard that, I thought they might have actually done something different on account of the temperature extremes. Thanks for letting me know, and forgive my ignorance on that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #11 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

It's a Canadian marketing thing Cherokee, I am not sure if they use the name North anywhere else.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Well, thanks for the answer anyway. I appreciate that. I have been other places than where I actually live (somewhat of an Army brat), so I am not as southern as I would suggest. I have been to Montreal, but it was during the summer, and a good few years ago, but very beautiful. I guess the only thing I had in common was I could speak and understand French, which is why I guess I feel like there is some comeraderie here, besides just the car. Granted, in Louisiana, French is a bit different from the usual conversational they teach you in school, but I can comprehend. Bit of a learning curve, but for the better.

post #13 of 14 Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 PM

It's plenty cold here ..

I can definitely echo what people have been saying about the hatch closing in the cold .. it was under -30 one morning, and I was nervous to just keep slamming it, so we actually drove into town to the dealer.

Of course by the time we got into town it was all warm and the dealer closed it easily, but its happened a few times (its usually between -20 and -30 around here) and we just slam it ... treat it like a Ford the dealer told us ...

Other than that the cold hasn't seemed to affect it that much ... people around here leave their vehicles running for ages ..... we idle for 30 sec to a minute (until we hear the engine settle down), then just drive super slowly until the temp gauge moves ... keep the revs under 2 ... seems fine ..
post #14 of 14 Old 03-26-2007, 05:17 PM

Closes fine

My Jeep never has that problem. But keep in mind I park in a somewhat sheltered from wind area at home and at work so that may be the difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in