FWD vs 4x4 - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
FWD vs 4x4

Okay so i know the 4x4s will win hands down but I would like to do a little off roading if possible...my parents thought it would be better for me to have the freaking front wheel drive sport than the 4x4 limited. (better on pocket books) Im not expecting to do anything like my 01 jeep wrangler could do. But it is a Jeep! It has to have some off road abilities right?? What are your thoughts? Did i completely make the wrong choice going for the FWD. ( I did opt for the 2.4L engine though...so thats nice! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 AM

Garage
Mine is fwd and I easily gotten out of situations my dads 4x4 ram struggled with. Being half the weight definitely helped out though.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 06:04 PM

I've seen my dad take 2WD vehicles down roads that 4-wheelers would pucker at the sight of.

That said, keep in mind that tires make a huge difference, and having the right tires for the situation particularly. Beyond that, remember to air down your tires for maximum grip (and bring a compressor to air them back up when finished), bring a shovel, and take a buddy, preferably in their own vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys that makes me feel a lot better about having a 2wd jeep
post #5 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And nth256 im planning on getting some all terrain tires as big as i can on there for that reason im going to need all the grip i can get haha
post #6 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbowen View Post
Okay so i know the 4x4s will win hands down but I would like to do a little off roading if possible...my parents thought it would be better for me to have the freaking front wheel drive sport than the 4x4 limited. (better on pocket books) Im not expecting to do anything like my 01 jeep wrangler could do. But it is a Jeep! It has to have some off road abilities right?? What are your thoughts? Did i completely make the wrong choice going for the FWD. ( I did opt for the 2.4L engine though...so thats nice! )
Being the 2WD your vehicle is exactly the same as the Dodge Calibre Car. Powertrain and suspensions are identical. Most likely you have the 2.0L although the 2.4L is the same other than the obvious displacement. The skin and badging are the major differences and capability is very the same.

Tires do make a big difference for sure. The FDII 4x4 are a different powertrain having a lower gearing and I believe also lifted a bit for their Trail Rated designation.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 PM

He said he opted for the 2.4 engine. I did too. Got the 2014 Sport FWD with 2.4 engine and 6 speed auto and tow package. It has good ground clearance and traction control, so it is pretty good on back roads, gravel, boat launches, etc. Not like my old Cherokee, but more comfortable and much better gas mileage. I'm happy with it.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 11:16 PM

Garage
kind of a moot argument since you already made your purchase, no? shouldn't this question have been brought up before the purchase?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-11-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
kind of a moot argument since you already made your purchase, no? shouldn't this question have been brought up before the purchase?
True, I concur it should have be a pre purchase question. Having had a number of 4x4's and AWD as well as 2WD vehicles. Once you have a 4x4 of some sort you'll not want anything else. They can all go down the back roads but when the going get tough or snow, ice etc is involved the 4x4 has a huge advantage if you have tires for the conditions.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in