3Likes
  • 1 Post By Drskullz
  • 1 Post By tripplec
  • 1 Post By IRSmart

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 Old 01-09-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Installing Hitch on 2012 Compass LAD.

I will be posting pictures up when I知 done installing the hitch.& later I will post on the wire harness.. I know from what I read that my Jeep Compass Lad the most capacity is 2000 lbs. Right? Anyways, Tell me what you think , put your two cents in. I知 all ears.
Aging i will post before and after pics.. Plus I bought some JEEP emblems that are blacked out i will post about that too. Still in search of the Compass emblems that are all blacke outed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-10-2014, 06:58 AM

Hitch

I just installed a U-hual hitch on my 2011 compass and a wire harness for lights. After moving the exhaust it took me 30 mins. The wire harness went in also in about 30 mins. I pulled a pop up camper 400 miles this weekend that weighs 1600lbs and had no issues. The jeep pulled it great. In fact I really did not notice it much driving. Good luck
julmore likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-10-2014, 01:54 PM

I've been towing for decades with many vehicles, cars and SUV's. Wind drag is a major factor on the highway. The faster you got the harder it is to pull it. I have seen Chrysler put in there manual that a maximum Sq. Ft. front in their ratings. 32 SqFt come to mind in one manual but that give you an idea. If the trailer is tucked behind the vehicles body it certainly deflects a lot of the wind.

Weight is more of a factor towing on up grades since you pulling it believe it or not but the big limitation is your brakes. You can only tow what you can safely stop with. Weight is kinetic energy and it pushes you and can jack knife you if you brake hard in a turn.

I can say I have towed much that I did not know it was there. With the exception of empty trailers. Once loaded it was another story.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-10-2014, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by julmore View Post
I will be posting pictures up when I知 done installing the hitch.& later I will post on the wire harness.. I know from what I read that my Jeep Compass Lad the most capacity is 2000 lbs. Right? Anyways, Tell me what you think , put your two cents in. I知 all ears.
Aging i will post before and after pics.. Plus I bought some JEEP emblems that are blacked out i will post about that too. Still in search of the Compass emblems that are all blacke outed.
no, the tow capacity of your jeep is most likely 1,000 lbs if it did not come with the trailer tow prep group or the FD-II off-road group. you can increase the tow capacity by another 1,000 lbs by installing the engine oil cooler accessory from mopar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drskullz View Post
I just installed a U-hual hitch on my 2011 compass and a wire harness for lights. After moving the exhaust it took me 30 mins. The wire harness went in also in about 30 mins. I pulled a pop up camper 400 miles this weekend that weighs 1600lbs and had no issues. The jeep pulled it great. In fact I really did not notice it much driving. Good luck
be careful, you're overloading your jeep with that weight if it is not equipped with the accessory I mentioned above. "it doesn't feel like it's back there" does not mean that the car is not struggling to pull it.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-10-2014, 06:16 PM

Well it appear that there is no change to the towing capacity in the new body designs. The engine cooler is still needed although in the Winter I am sure its not a issue since the ambient temperature is so much colder also I use synthetic oil which is far more tolerant of higher temperatures and protect better under towing as well.

Common sense must prevail though in what you tow. Even 1000lbs on a hot day in the Rocky Mountains climbing a lot of long grade can take its toll. Many hydraulic automatic transmission have burnt out towing modest loads in these circumstances. Speed because of wind drag is another with the strain on the entire power train. So just because Jeep says it can tow this much there will be situations it cannot sustain the stress being not normal.

On another note many of use have been accustomed to adding a transmission cooler for towing. I have one I installed in my Grand Cherokee. However being a CVT its quite different and the owners manual neglect to mention there is an oil cooler built in for the CVT. It is located behind the radiator at the very bottom. By design it appears it will not overheat up to 2000lb loads. But for some engineering reason the engine oil is what needs the cooler. I've see few vehicles with one. One was an Astro VAN AWD I had but that engine was tightly packed behind the firewall with half of it in the cab and very little air flow around it. I can see why it had one. But not the 2.4L in my Compass or others. If I towed a lot (which I don't with this) I'd consider a 5w30 synthetic oil as well.

IRSMART is giving you the straight goods, at 1600lbs you're pulling is likely over loading the engine. The harder you're pulling (going uphill which cannot be avoided) will increase the stress/heat.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-11-2014, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
no, the tow capacity of your jeep is most likely 1,000 lbs if it did not come with the trailer tow prep group or the FD-II off-road group. you can increase the tow capacity by another 1,000 lbs by installing the engine oil cooler accessory from mopar.

be careful, you're overloading your jeep with that weight if it is not equipped with the accessory I mentioned above. "it doesn't feel like it's back there" does not mean that the car is not struggling to pull it.
Ok thanks for the advice , see something new i learn.. by the way would you the part number to it? if not ill ask the dealer. Thanks!
post #7 of 16 Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 AM

So I have the engine oil cooler, What is the problem with pulling 1600 again? I was just saying (It doesn't feel like its back there) that the jeep has no problem pulling the load.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
So I have the engine oil cooler, What is the problem with pulling 1600 again? I was just saying (It doesn't feel like its back there) that the jeep has no problem pulling the load.
ok, you're fine then. your towing capacity is 2,000 lbs.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-11-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julmore View Post
Ok thanks for the advice , see something new i learn.. by the way would you the part number to it? if not ill ask the dealer. Thanks!
I am guessing you're after the part #. Since it may vary with the year of vehicle and its a dealer kit. You're best to have the dealer look it up. Just phone them and get the price as well.
julmore likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 16 Old 01-11-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
The cooler option will not make it easier to tow with or feel like its not there. The HP needed it still the same.

Are you saying that the 2011 he has is 2000lbs standard build?

DRSKULLZ: check you owners manual as to what it says. It will indicate the standard tow rating of that year and configuration. If it mentions the increased rating with the oil cooler. Then it is not rated unless you got that option with it and it easy to see if you pop the hood. Multiple connections at the top the rad and cooler lines running to the oil filter mount where you oil filter screws in.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #11 of 16 Old 01-11-2014, 06:54 PM

Towing and cooler

I did a bit of hunting but could not find the specific for 2011. However for those with the earlier years this is what the kit consists of with the top one for the CVT build. I covers up to 2009 however after that I've not seen if there is a change but the Jeep website does indicated "properly equipped" in their max towing rating of 200lbs but neglect to indicated what that is. LOL They could be much clearer.

Cooler for the engine - Oil Cooler for Jeep Compass by Mopar

When you look here - Explore Jeep Capabilities | Towing Reference Guide | Jeep
and select the year there is a Blue star by the 4WD or 2WD. If you hover the pointer you will see "When properly equipped...."!!! Why can they not have a notation on the page as to what constituted that equipment!!! Hence I'd have to believe that non equipped vehicles would be 1000lbs max.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So i waiting on the Hitch to come in. While waiting for i decided to install the jeep logo on the back look at the pics.. Nice!, Right?
so easy to install!! after i took them off, where the jeep logo was at , it has an imprint of the jeep logo, no not from the removal but i guess jeep made it like that, that is why is was easy to place back on. Yes OME parts
photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg
post #13 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 02:27 PM

Garage
looks good, but you overworked yourself. plastidip would have had the same effects, and you can just peel away unwanted overspray from plastidip. no badge removal necessary. good job, though.
julmore likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have my Hitch coming in today! YAAAYYYYY! I'll have pics on the installing process , Any pointers anyone?????? I already found a video clip on how to install it, but I like to hear yall suggestions.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 PM

Garage
i remember a bolt not lining up on the passenger side, I needed a pry bar to get it to fit. something about a pinch weld getting in the way. sorry, it's been a while. keep a pry bar or a very long screw driver handy.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-28-2014, 06:43 PM

Murphy will show up and help out. When he does expect the unexpected. He's buggered up many a job for me when they go wrong. I told him to take a vacation and bug someone else. I am not sure if he's left yet though.

Good luck

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in