Crossing Water? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Crossing Water?

Has anyone tackled crossing deep standing water in their compass? If you have approximately how deep do you think it was? Has anyone got an idea of what depth of water is safe to cross? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

it's not recommended as the Compass is NOT Trail Rated.........the canadian web site is mentionning ......nothing over 20 inches........I for one will not try that with all the electronics ........but it's your call !!!!!!!!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 03:24 AM

I believe what I read was either its safe to go it either 16 or 18 inches. I cant remember which honestly.

Run from me if you want to live.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-05-2010, 12:12 AM

I've been busting through probably two foot plus snow drifts lately, but I know that doesn't count. My whole undercarriage was very snow packed and I had to knock packed snow from the insides of the wheels because of the out of balance shimmy condition driving on the highway.

|
|
post #5 of 12 Old 02-06-2010, 11:58 AM

Garage
You guys living in the frozen North live brutal lives! I guess in reality it's a toss up. Dawn heah we get da rain...lots of rain. That can SNAFU a car but not as bad as ice and flakes. I have read that the ground clearance on the Compass is 8". I would imagine you could double that in water but you might get wet carpet. I have gone through 1 foot of flood water with my old Saturn which had 5" of ground clearance. Course, I wouldn't go looking for puddles to pounce on with either car. This model is not, I repeat NOT a Wrangler!

Na, let me just go get me a refill on my mint julep.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch Box View Post
I believe what I read was either its safe to go it either 16 or 18 inches. I cant remember which honestly.
I would think that safe enough, at least I would not have a problem crossing short distances this deep if I knew that there was firm bottom.

|
|
post #7 of 12 Old 03-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Most 4x4s can be driven in water that is axle-deep without taking special precautions. (Max. wading depth is about 20 inches.) When the water is deeper, you need to know where your engine’s air intake and engine computer are located and don’t allow water to enter. Switch off headlights and allow them to cool, as sudden contact with cold water will cause the glass to crack.

If you place a tarp across the front of your vehicle prior to entering very deep water, you will minimize the water entering the engine bay by creating a bow wave, so long as you maintain a brisk forward momentum. The result: less water will be sprayed over the ignition system by the radiator fan and less chance of water entering the air intake. Do not outrun the bow wave.

Another thing to note: Crossing a body of water has more to do with the technique you use to get across than it does with the kind of equipment you have. A paced, controlled, and planned-out method of driving is far more important than a snorkel.
One technique is called the "bow wave." Check it out:

This driver is moving at a controlled, yet moderately aggressive pace that creates a wave in front of his vehicle. He has a pocket of air within the engine compartment thanks to the displacement of water. His speed is not too fast, and not too slow.
Equipment will never take the place of knowledge, experience, and decisive driving.

When crossing shallow streams, drive slow and steady to create a small bow wave in front of your bumper that will reduce the height of the water behind the bumper and keep the water away from the air intake and electronics. Select low range and first gear, and keep steering straight.

When crossing fast-flowing shallow streams, cross at an angle and drive slightly upstream. This presents a smaller surface area and lessens the force of the stream on the vehicle. (Never cross fast-flowing deep streams, as your vehicle can be swept away.)

Apply your brakes several times after crossing water or deep mud to dry them out.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 03-13-2010 at 09:40 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-14-2010, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Good tips there CL. I know I have taken my XJ and my Ram through water that was higher than I would probably have been willing to try in the Compass, but you're right, driving slowly and accurately makes all the difference. Good point on knowing where your intake and computer are before trying to cross!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #9 of 12 Old 03-31-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyJeep View Post
Has anyone tackled crossing deep standing water in their compass? If you have approximately how deep do you think it was? Has anyone got an idea of what depth of water is safe to cross? thanks
My advice is:
Get a boat!!!

Seriously, you may join the club of sunken vehicles who thought they were something they weren't.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #10 of 12 Old 04-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Personally, I wouldn't cross any water deeper than what the factory says is safe to.

Run from me if you want to live.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
post #11 of 12 Old 04-02-2010, 05:38 PM

Well I would not endevour a depth above the wheel nuts or rocker panels. This only if absolutely no choice EG being flooded or paved road covered.

Note that your brakes will degrade radically when wet and your ability to maintain control is affected accordingly.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #12 of 12 Old 04-03-2010, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Good point on the brakes being affected tripplec, which is why any time I find myself having to go through muddy or high water, I always hose everything down afterwards, the underbody, wheelwells and through both sides of the wheels. No need in that trash being trapped in there.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in