Error Traction Control- Code P2173-2008 Jeep Compass Sport - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 01-31-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Error Throttle Control- Code P2173-2008 Jeep Compass Sport

I have a 2008 Jeep Compass Sport. 2.4, traction control

My Jeep is a "Southern" vehicle. The weather in New York was very cold and snowy the whole month. Many days when I'd first start it the battery would slowly turn over for a brief second. Never had issue with it not starting.

I took a trip from SC to NY at the beginning of January. I returned home this week. A few times through out the ride I smelt either a sulfur smell or a skunk smell. Thought maybe it was outside, however it happened a handful of times at different times.

10 hours or so into the drive I pulled into a rest area. Jeep was running great as it always has. I shut it off but left the radio on the Syracuse game. We were at the rest area not even 8 minutes. When we got back on the road I was noticing that from 2500 rpm's if I were to accelerate to 3000 rpm's it was drop off and go back to between 2000 and 2500 rpm's. I thought that was kind of weird as I also was worried about a slight vibration but figured it was road/tires. I'm always aware of surroundings.

Roughly an hour later, maybe even less, I accelerated to get passed a truck. I accelerated to around 3500-4000 rpm's. Speed limit was 70. traffic was going nicely .

This is where the problem started. a light above the gas gauge came on. a "lzl" light. As well as the traction control light. I had no power above 2000 rpm's and could not go above 55mph. I tried the slapstick (I never use this) and it would not come out of 6th gear, it seemed.

When I was able to get to a gas station to assess the issue I reluctantly shut it off. At idle the rpm's would fluctuate and sounded overall rough. Also, the sulfur smell had returned, heavily. After not finding too much help in the book, and my insurance was closed for the night, I decided to try and limp it as far as I could home. After all we were no more than an hour and half to 2 hours from home at this point.

To my surprise there was no problem at all. She was running fine once again. Except for what I thought is/was a small sluggish to it, and sulfur/skunk smell. I was able to get home just fine.

I stopped into Advanced yesterday. They run their diognostic check and the code P2173 appeared. Something to do with Electronic Throttle Control. I've found that other people have had similar issue, however nothing substantial.

has anyone had this problem, and does anyone have any suggestions? We do most of our own vehicle maintenance at my house. A shop if needed is good however are very pricey.

Thanks in advance for the much needed help!!!

Brad

Last edited by Thrive69x; 01-31-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: thread title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-31-2014, 10:01 PM

An overcharged or faulty battery in 99% the cause or source of a sulphur smell being it sulphuric acid in it. I presume its the original battery which would not be surprising to fail now. Its your cheapest move is to replace it with a good quality battery of the highest cranking amp available that fits (same Group number). The Walmart Everstart are good value if you're not able to research. The electronics may have malfunctioned due to battery voltage or other reason as a symptom. The malfunction may have activated the Electronic stability control system indicated by the lights on the dash with the skid symbol and/or ESP. Never the less its the place to start. Many shops in the US have free battery testing and/or charging circuit testing. Without a voltmeter you cannot tell if its over charging due to alternator problems but you did not indicate that that indicator came on the dash so we'll assume for now its ok.

Start with the battery it due for a change and not a difficult to swap.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-01-2014, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

I seen on some other forum from a google search to check the battery. Both terminals were fairly corroded and the ground terminal was "broke" on the bottom part. replaced the terminals and plan on replacing the battery this weekend. Advanced auto went strait to a throttle control actuator....go figure!!! hoping the new terminals/battery cures it. I just purchased it six months ago. Haven't thought about checking battery till now. probably should have!!

thanks for your reply greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in