My Jeep Compass Forum banner

2007 Jeep Compass Limited - heat issue

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jeepney_driver 
#1 ·
Good Morning!
My heat seems to have "cooled" slightly. When it is on, usually at the highest setting, I have to turn it down once the Jeep has warmed up completely. However, I just noticed yesterday morning that the heat is not as hot as it should be. It still warms enough. And when I adjust the heat, it doesn't seem to change. Any ideas what might be happening? Hoping it isn't an expensive fix.

Thank you!
Diane

#2 ·
Hopefully someone will come up with an educated guess. First thing I'd do is check the coolant level (cheapest and easiest.)

There's a whole bunch of stuff that could cause problems. Some info from the factory service manual:

Both of the heater hoses should be hot to the touch. The coolant return heater hose should be slightly cooler than the coolant supply heater hose. If the return hose is much cooler than the supply hose, locate and repair the engine coolant flow obstruction in the cooling system.

OBSTRUCTED COOLANT FLOW
Possible locations or causes of obstructed coolant flow are as follows:

Low coolant level
Inoperative water pump
Inoperative thermostat
Pinched or kinked heater hoses
Improper heater hose routing
Plugged heater hoses or supply and return ports at the cooling system connections
Plugged heater core

If proper coolant flow through the cooling system is verified, and heater outlet air temperature is low, a mechanical problem may exist.

MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
Possible causes of insufficient heat due to mechanical problems are as follows:

Obstructed cowl air intake
Obstructed heater system outlets
Inoperative engine thermostat
Inoperative blower motor system
Inoperative A/C-heater control
Inoperative temperature control cable
Inoperative, obstructed or improperly installed blend-air door

TEMPERATURE CONTROL
If the heater outlet air temperature cannot be adjusted with the temperature control on the A/C-heater control, the following could require service:

Inoperative A/C-heater control
Inoperative temperature control cable
Inoperative, obstructed or improperly installed blend-air door
Improper engine coolant temperature

#4 ·
You will get more heat if you recirculated the air. On my '07 there is a button you can press to recirculate. The button works on the first two positions of the rotary switch. Also when using the air conditioner re circulating the air cools the air faster. Of course your problem might be caused by something entirely different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.