Would a Compass be good for us? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 03-21-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
XRL

Would a Compass be good for us?

Howdy all,

We've been looking at getting a Compass to replace my gf's PT Cruiser Turbo. We're looking for something a little bigger, a little safer, and preferably with AWD. We're looking for a Rallye edition, the sport looks definitely work for us (I currently have a 2004 Saturn Vue Redline AWD). We're also looking at models with the CVT, a manual isn't an option. Do you owners believe that a Compass Rallye would be good for us?

Things I've read about which worry me are the moonroof leaking (is there a fix for this? A moonroof is also a must for us). This would be the first CVT vehicle, and the only CVTs I'm very familiar with are the VTi Saturn Vues which were, well, terribly unreliable beyond words. This worries me, how is the CVT in the Compass? Is it pretty reliable? Do certain years come with a longer powertrain warranty than others? How is it to drive, is it tough to get used to? How is the power (or lack thereof), she doesn't exactly drive like a racer, but traffic here in South Florida tends to move pretty fast, and sometimes you need to be able to get out of bad situations with a little power. How are they in the rain, do they feel stable and confident (with the AWD system)?

A few other vehicles we've considered are the Honda Element SC (no AWD in the SC model) and the Suzuki XL7 (a bit pricier, but a good choice overall - shares a lot with my Vue so working on it would be cake). How would you compare the Compass to those? What things do you like/dislike about your Compass? If you were doing things over again, are there any vehicles you would look at instead of the Compass?

Thanks in advance for your opinions. Seems like these little Rallyes are tough to come by, especially if you want a 4x4, auto, with moonroof and preferably leather. Worst case scenario, we can always put in aftermarket leather if the right deal comes along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Well, first off, welcome to the forum! Some very good questions you have, and I'm sure others will be able to chime in on this, also.

First, all bias aside, I think the Compass would be a nice upgrade from the PT Cruiser. There is definitely more interior room/cargo space, and despite the gripes from some, I think the interior is appointed nicely. I opted for the sunroof, and for as much as I wash my vehicles, I never had a problem with it leaking, but yes, it is not an uncommom problem, and there was a bulletin issued to address this and correct it.

As for the CVT, I personally like it, find it very smooth, but that's why it's called a CVT, you never feel it shift as it raises/lowers engine RPM's as needed rather than shifting through a pre-determined set of gear ratios like in a regular automatic. I'm not a race car driver, either, although I have raced the Compass haha, but I always had plenty of get-up-and-go to be able to move through traffic and avoid trouble shall I say. It does tend to feel a little underpowered when it comes to accelerating going uphill, particularly merging into traffic on an incline, but it does overcome itself, but for a 2.4L it's a great vehicle that offers excellent MPG's, I got 30 out of mine.

Yes, if I had it to do over again, I would absolutely buy a Compass! I think they are stylish yet fun and as far as the Rallye goes, if you can't find one with the options you are looking for, there is always the Rallye kit from Mopar, and maybe you can talk the dealer into giving you a deal on that!

Don't know if this helps, but that's my condensed review, and hopefully it shed a little light on your questions. You planning on a test drive any time soon? Again, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here, and any other help you need, just ask!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 03-21-2010 at 07:42 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-21-2010, 04:58 PM

I replaced my PT Cruiser with the a 2008 Compass and I'm glad I did. Its is a safer vehicle especially with the all wheel disks and abs brakes. (my pt cruiser didn't have them) More airbags in it also. I think if you buy a 2009 or 2010 Compass then the moon-roof problem is fixed on them. Also the AWD is really nice!!
But there is less cargo space in the Compass (62 ft) than the PT Cruiser(62.7ft).
Over all I like the Compass better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-22-2010, 03:18 AM
Administrator

Thanks dgage246 for that, I really didn't realize that the Compass was just that little bit smaller haha, I guess to me, it looked and felt like more. I never owned a PT, but I did rent one before purchasing the Compass, but good points on the safety, also, very true!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #5 of 9 Old 03-22-2010, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
XRL

I didn't realize that the Compass had less interior room than the PT cruiser either. Is the Compass larger than the PT in terms of size? One of the other main things we want out of the SUV is size/presence. Around here, everyone has big SUVs, and driving a car is near suicide. People just don't see them (or care to see them, or care - not sure which). So we were hoping to get something a little more intimidating than her little PT Cruiser. Another vehicle we looked at was the H3, what's the size difference like with those in terms of exterior size?

The main question is if a Compass is significantly bigger than her PT Cruiser to the point that it will be more noticeable.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 PM

Garage
No question

No question, the Jeep feels more significant than the PT.
But seriously, if you want presence, with a capital P, and don't mind pumping the petrol, you got to hand it to the H3.
Drive a Hummer and you feel like you're driving a brick sh*t house!
The Hummer is a TRUCK, on a truck platform, the Compass, a big Caliber, on a car platform.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by i2canoe; 03-23-2010 at 12:26 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
Thanks dgage246 for that, I really didn't realize that the Compass was just that little bit smaller haha, I guess to me, it looked and felt like more. I never owned a PT, but I did rent one before purchasing the Compass, but good points on the safety, also, very true!

- Cherokee
One thing I did forget to mention was to get the full capacity of the Cruiser you have to take out the back seats.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
XRL

It's not the gas mpg that bothers me with the H3 (she doesnt really drive that much), its the price and miles. They're damn near $20k for 50k mile trucks. All the other vehicles we looked at are less for less miles.

I guess we're just going to have to test drive one and get a feel for how big it is. It appears its going to be a decent bit smaller than my Vue. I think that's about the smallest we want to go.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Administrator

No doubt to me, anyway, the Compass is more noticeable than the PT, and you don't have to take the back seats out to have ample room in the rear of the car, but having ridden in a Hummer, well, they look bigger on the outside than they feel on the inside. If you are tall in any way, they will not be comfortable, certainly not on long rides regardless of the MPG's. Felt like I was riding in a very small box, but that's just my opinion, not worth the money they are asking for them if you ask me.

- Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in