Compass Engine Temperature - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Compass Engine Temperature

Where does you temp needle sit normally. I am at about 10 o'clock where it stops normally (177 F based on Scan gauge connect to the computer). I drove at about 80-95km/hr and worked up to 11 o'clock position. I only had this for a day. Just picked this up from a dealer so this is super new to me but looks too low in my opinion.

I don't agreed with the manual though on oil. I've read a number of thread on early changes and real dirty oi. But 5w20 at any temperature. This is not synthetic and at hot summer temp, load of A/C and cargo etc seems too thin. The manual is missing the typical chart from oil grade at various temp application ranges. The service intervals only system the oil must be changed by 10,000km. What, I be looking at maybe a third shortly after that.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 02:47 AM

Garage
I have an 08 and it sits around the 10 "o" clock position with normal driving. You may notice it go down a bit with the A/C on.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeye View Post
I have an 08 and it sits around the 10 "o" clock position with normal driving. You may notice it go down a bit with the A/C on.
Go down, you sure if anything the extra work should make the engine warmer and if the T stat is correct it will go up a bit.

I am going to call a dealer and find out what the temperature is for the TStat in this. Most vehicles they are 19x and that would have the gauge around 12 o'clock where it should be. Too cool, and engine and the fuel system is usual optimium at the higher temps of 200 F.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 12:48 PM

Garage
You also gotta remember that an analog meter taking orders via a digital source could have an error quotient.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You also gotta remember that an analog meter taking orders via a digital source could have an error quotient.
I know they are relative I have a scan gauge" scangauge.com
It connect to the computer and I can read engine temperature amoungst other information with it. Thus eliminating the error. I know those dash gauges will rise and fall with battery voltage. Something to be aware with under heavy alternator load and lower RPM's.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

I am NEW to the COMPASS. Picked it up on the March 27th and only drive it or in it twice so far. My wifes ride!! I am trying to get a baseline on that and other things. I am researching what I can and looking for comparisons of longer time users such as you. I just joined this forum yesterday. The other forum I belong to on Grand Cherokee has nothing on Compass. Bear with me.

Thanks

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I called dealer and the part guy says there are two thermostat spec for this. The service tech he checked with said they have a dual thermostat system. I don't know exactly how that works but that explains some of the movement I see.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 03:19 PM

I have a scan gauge on my Compass and the temperature sits around the 176 F mark or about 80 C.
They do have a dual thermostat system in them so if you want a different temp thermostat then you have to change both.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage246 View Post
I have a scan gauge on my Compass and the temperature sits around the 176 F mark or about 80 C.
They do have a dual thermostat system in them so if you want a different temp thermostat then you have to change both.
Don't get me wrong. It seemed very odd that there is a large fluctuation in the gauge and the at idle it comes up to the mid 170's only. Much cooler than any vehicle I have known. I don't know how the two thermostat are intended to work but it now appears this gauge change is normal and I should not be concerned about it now that I know that one T stat is about 17x and the other is 20x. I did not remember the last digit.

If it runs efficiently as engineered then I have no need to attempt to change. I only observing and wonder if there was a defect like as stuck thermostat.

Thx for the feedback and confirmations.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post

I don't agreed with the manual though on oil. I've read a number of thread on early changes and real dirty oi. But 5w20 at any temperature. This is not synthetic and at hot summer temp, load of A/C and cargo etc seems too thin. The manual is missing the typical chart from oil grade at various temp application ranges. The service intervals only system the oil must be changed by 10,000km. What, I be looking at maybe a third shortly after that.
I don't think it will hurt to change to a different oil but My compass is two years old and all i have ever run in it is the 5w-20 and its been fine. The oil is never very dirty when i change it either. Our Ford 150 with the 5.4 engine and tow package also calls for the same kind of oil so I don't think anything your going to do with a Compass justifies a different oil.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I know someone with a Ridgeline and it calls for the same oil. He uses 5w30 as well as 5w20 which is harder to find for some reason. But good to hear your feedback.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 PM

Garage
I think the newer high tech engines especially the 4 banger variety are designed to use the 5W20 stuff. It makes sense with the intake porting and variable valve timing,etc. Anyway the Compass world engine seems to burn clean with little residue in the oil or tailpipe.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think the newer high tech engines especially the 4 banger variety are designed to use the 5W20 stuff. It makes sense with the intake porting and variable valve timing,etc. Anyway the Compass world engine seems to burn clean with little residue in the oil or tailpipe.
Well I will find out. It already on the black side when I picked it up. Only driven by the dealer and demo'd to prospects since they changed the oil. I will be changing it myself sometime next week. I have notice a number of posts indicating how black their oil got in a short time. Make you wonder doesn't it. I believe they were 2007's.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #14 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 01:56 AM

Garage
My scangauge tells me that my temperature stays around 80-83 degrees celsius. I have a winter front that stays on all year round as well and there is no real difference from the winter to the summer.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #15 of 19 Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Sound the same as my Compass. Ok so this is normal as I am seeing from updated info. It does rise on highway driving and I will post that when I have the info.

Cheers

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #16 of 19 Old 04-18-2016, 04:43 PM

Unhappy temperatures in my Compass 2014

Hi Guys

I have a Compass North edition 2014.
I`m using the ScanGauge since november 2015.

In the winter I saw temperatures from 88C (190F) to 95C (203F) .

This weekend we had the first heat wave and an outiside temperature of 20C (68F). I was stop in traffic and I saw 110C (230F) in the scangauge. I shut it down in the first side road. I could not hear the fan on. The analog gauge was almost in the same place (the middle). There was a smell of cooling fluid around the car.
Later (when it was cold) I checked the cooling level and everything was fine.
When I run the temperature is normal. I guess the radiator thermostat is not working.
I had the cooling changed in October 2015.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
post #17 of 19 Old 04-19-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Fan needs to be running !!! You had better verify it runs first.

2nd it could have an air pocket from the change. Burping the air out or bleeding it out. I am sure if this engine has an issue locking in air when drained. If it was done at a shop go back and ask them. Otherwise driving the front up high on rams or more with the rad cap removed. Run the engine to temp and see if you get any air out. Fan should eventually come on as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #18 of 19 Old 04-20-2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystronski View Post
Hi Guys

I have a Compass North edition 2014.
I`m using the ScanGauge since november 2015.

In the winter I saw temperatures from 88C (190F) to 95C (203F) .

This weekend we had the first heat wave and an outiside temperature of 20C (68F). I was stop in traffic and I saw 110C (230F) in the scangauge. I shut it down in the first side road. I could not hear the fan on. The analog gauge was almost in the same place (the middle). There was a smell of cooling fluid around the car.
Later (when it was cold) I checked the cooling level and everything was fine.
When I run the temperature is normal. I guess the radiator thermostat is not working.
I had the cooling changed in October 2015.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
When i think of it, I've never really noticed the fan running on my compass. If the thermostat wasn't working, it would show up on your analog gauge and your warning light on the dashboard. Mine is a 2008 and still has the original coolant in it.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-20-2016, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Mine as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in