Foglight question - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 06-11-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Foglight question

Has anyone modified the way the fog lights work? What i mean is in my Forester i changed a wire so the fogs stay on with the high beams and just the parking lights. I think its pointless to have the fog lights turn off with the high beams because you lose visibility.
Has anyone done this yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Garage
High beams and Fog lights are NOT meant to be used together.
Fog lights are aimed low and wide to light the road below the fog.
High beams will not help.
If you ever tried your high beams in a snow storm you will see how in-fact, they obscure your vision reflecting off the snow flakes, less obviously, but all the same, this is what happens when you turn them on in the fog. You see a wall of fog with them on.
There are other beams available to use as driving lights in addition to your high beams but are not usually approved for the open road, they are meant for off road use.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #3 of 10 Old 06-12-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

i2canoe I realize all that. But in normal conditions like say just a dark night on a country road (where we live) its great to have distance and low lighting ive seen other lighting options but being that its my wifes jeep adding lights isnt an option
Thanks for the reply though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 PM

you could just upgrade the bulbs. i put piaa h13 xtreme white plus (65/55 = 85/75) in the headlights and 9005 piaa xtreme white plus (60w = 120w) in the fogs, and contrary to what other people have said you do not have to modify the fog light housing or bulb for it to fit, the factory 9145 (H10) stock bulbs are a cross reference to the 9005, and believe me, with this set up, you will not need high beams.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-14-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

08 Thanks for the suggestion i did think about getting brighter bulbs but i always worry about melting the wires. Did you do this with yours? any problems with melting wires?
post #6 of 10 Old 06-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Garage
Ya see the object of fog lights is not to light up the fog! That's why they are yellow! I live in a city that has lots of fog at various times of the year. I have had fog lights on just about every vehicle I owned including motorcycles. You don't need blinding lights in a fog. Extremely bright white or blue beams will just defract more light off the water droplets and guess what....you won't see as well! Sure, if you want to be cool and blind other motorists, put some arc lights on the front and say "looka me" as the oncoming car gives you the finga! Extremely bright lights are indicative of insecurity.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-14-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoffjstr View Post
08 Thanks for the suggestion i did think about getting brighter bulbs but i always worry about melting the wires. Did you do this with yours? any problems with melting wires?
no problems at all, i love them, its like driving around in day light all the time
post #8 of 10 Old 06-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeye View Post
Extremely bright lights are indicative of insecurity.
well if insecurity lets me spot danger a few seconds earlier in the night, and saves my life. than im the most insecure person there is
post #9 of 10 Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Skyeye i agree with the yellow i had yellow head lights and fogs on my forester but then penndot cracked down and i had to lose the head lights yellow is the best for fog though i could drive in heavy snow and see great with them well at least penndot is concerned for our safety on the roads
08 i agree i would rather be able to see better too

My main reason for this post is my wife complains that on our roads when she put on the high beams she feels she has less light wich is why i wanted to be able to run the fogs WITH the high beams like my forester is she loves the lights on the forester because they are bright even though they are stock bulbs
post #10 of 10 Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 AM

I am currently pleased with Compass large circular headlights and they do seem bright then most standard installation using Xenon lamps that is.

If brightness is the issue then look at GE Platinum Nighthawk replacement bulbs. I have them on my GC and they are quite a bit brighter and whiter.

Also the fogs lamps can be replace with a yellow lamp. See my post in Accessories section as they make a difference in adverse conditions.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in