Check out Everything first if buying Jeep!! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Check out Everything first if buying Jeep!!

I bought a 2009 Compass that was used for rentals. Fine assortment of features etc but to the point. Being an IPOD user and requiring hand off the IPOD ability to navigate it legally here now. I was informed it had MP3 CD feature as well as an AUX IPOD input. Fine I thought I can burn dozens of tracks to CD's and navigate using the radio. I did not need Gigabytes online to play. If a passenger was present I could use the IPod interface and have the passenger make the selections.

Now I don't know about everyone else but I don't walk around with a MP3 CD to test with when selecting a vehicle. We presume it works as expected with MP3 CD decks being around for a decade or more. The RES model supplied in many Chrysler vehicles does nothing with the files. All you get is you get a TRK-1 ....TRK-120 indication, no navigation ability, folder, album artist listings are unsupported and zero engineering in this Stereo. All the engineering allows you to do is SEEK, SEEK forward or reverse to the next number, period. The owners manual clearly states it will read the ID Tags and info if the max files and folder (255 & are not exceeded. But it still will not even at less than half the limit on Page 211 of the manual. My CD's work in other models they have and after market Sony decks I have tried. The service manager is at a loss but was told not to replace it (not that it would resolve the problem), I need a different model. I have the optional steering wheel controls and would loose them if I went aftermarket as well. My wife does not want to change the look of the dash nor do I.

I contacted the dealer in person THREE times and also Chrysler Customer Relations at least THREE times and they will not do a thing. Quite simply too bad, thats the way it is has been their response.

Most of us would expect display and navigation in any CD player in this day of high technology as you expect FM tuning, station display and navigation of the displayed tuned stations. So why such stretch for MP3's. If I bought an IPOD clone even seeing the track song, navigating and folder view would be expected and the device is useless if it does not do it.

Well Chrysler support at their office it horrible and they just don't get it. They spend millions of dollars in advertising to get new customers but those who have been a client for decades are not addresses seriously nor make any effort to resolve problems on their new purchases.

Bottom line is you have to check every little thing and it's functionality in the vehicle more than once and in detail. Since if something is not as you expect it should be they'll tell you that how it is. The sales people don't even know about this crippled radio. I talked to one and he was amazed as are some of the techs in service. They agreed with my point but their hands are tied.

No wonder so many have moved to foreign product. I am next in line now.

Assume Nothing!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 06-16-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 PM

Garage
Hey Tripplec sorry for your troubles man. I can totally sympathise with you. My starter and ring gear saga is well documented on another thread. I totally agree about Chrysler "NON" Customer Care. Keep the faith, if it wasn't for forums like this we would all be floundering thinking that multi national manufactuers are wonderful. Peoples and companies indescretions doesn't take away from the fact that you still have a good vehicle. Once they sell it they don't care.
I'm a hardened VW nut and have had beetles old and new for over 30 years and other Euro boxes. I could write a book on most dealers, none of them good, but I have to drive something. Thats why I change my allegence with every car. (OK I still have 2 beetles old and new).

Raff.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-15-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

When I bought this Compass I had a Caravan and Jeep Grand Cherokee in my driveway, 90 Honda CRX, Ford Explorer Sport 4x4. Something had to go and I had been using the Caravan, my wife had the GC so I sold the Caravan and took it over as my main ride. The Explorer is my son's ride. I have almost always had some Chrysler vehicle in my driveway over the decades and have had troubles yeah. But this is read dumb engineering in the most absurd sense and they expect the buyer to accept it as is. I am really ticket (that's the nicest translation I have). Anyone elses stereo would not have this problem if was built to play MP3's.

Funny you mention VW. We almost bought a Rabbit but could not find one in the colour my wife would accept and she thought having had a GC 4x4 it would be better for all year travel necessary drives to Montreal we take being larger and all. Now I am having some regrets.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 06:05 AM

Garage
Hey Tripplec

I have a 2009 with the mp3 stereo (sound package) and it reads my mp3 discs and folders fine. Can see track info as well. One annoying thing is you cant select individual tracks, only folders, then u have to go thru the tracks to find a song. Other than this gripe the stereo has been fine.

But regarding Chrysler's customer service that is terrible. When you buy the mp3 stereo u expect to get the basic functions... If I were you I would threaten to write to consumer affairs about the problem and Chryslers lack of support. You never know. They might be scared just enough to replace your stereo lol.

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Lochinprc: I bet you have a different Model than an RES. I tested others in the dealer lot yesterday and they worked although quite sluggishly updating info but they did work. We have a Sony in an Explorer and its instantaneous with all info and navigating.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Trip.... like Loch I would take it higher man...you have nothing to loose......keep us posted on your decision and good luck !

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #7 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

I will update here.

I sent of a letter to Chrysler Canada today which is a pre-requisite to filing with the MVIC and Consumer Protection of Consumer Services Canada.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 04:00 AM

Garage
Power to the people! Let us know how it goes...

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochinprc View Post
Power to the people! Let us know how it goes...
Well I sent Chrysler a detailed letter. Aparently a stereo with MP3 CD and without ID tag info display or navigation it their normal.

Quotes: "The situation written about is a function of your vehicle's design and not a defect in materials, workmanship, manufacturing or factory preparation.",...."Chrysler has made tremendous gains in customer satisfaction and vehicle quality."

I have the outside temp display on my dash. In the latest heat wave and long trip to Montreal the temp displayed is not remotely close to what it should be and mostly stays the same. Over the last 4-5 days the temp has been between 32-38 Celsius and it reading 25 or 26 and does not fluctuate now. It has been looked at yesterday and the dealer did a calibrate reset (pull fulse, wait > 10 minutes) install fuse. It read 29 from the inside of the shop, down the highway, roads, stopped in traffic with heat radiating up, parked on pavement into the sun and yet never changed 1 degree. It was at least 34 or higher on the paved areas. Hotter then my outside thermometer at home says due to cars, direct sun and pavement radiated heat.

I took it back two hours later and showed them still did not change. Apparently they have to consult with engineering to troubleshoot this. What I thought. This is dead simple. The sensor was already replaced and if it is sending a varying input to the control circuit and the display does change then the control circuit board is faulty wherever that is. THATS the current high tech state of their techs. Save me wow unbelievable.

As for my screeching rear brakes when I back up and when they're cool. I have to pay for the 20k brake service. Apparently when they are assembled the guides in the calipers for pads etc all get assembled dry yes DRY and this service will lubricate them and clean the me. Thats what I am told. Dahhh

I have had the problem from 29k and they don't make a tweet going forward only backwards. Tell me the calipers have a backup hydralic circuit and a forward one otherwise it pure BS. Well I'll have to pull them off myself and have look. You'd think they'd realize the consumer is a tad smarted than some of their techs by now and not look for cop out statements.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 10 Old 07-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

A real nigtamre it seems dealing with these bozos.......they really think that the majority of people are stupid enough to believe their crap !!!!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in