MPG USA vs. CANADA - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 06-26-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Question MPG USA vs. CANADA

Was looking around on the fourm and I came accross a thread about spark plugs and the subject of fuel economy came up. Someone stated that the compass got 32 -40 mpg. I get 24 25 on the highway so I thought there was something wrong with my 2011 base compass.

Doin reasearch I discoved that the canada version of the compass gets 32-40 mpg Jeep Canada | Crossover Compact SUV's | 2014 Jeep Compass Overview while the usa version gets alot less 23-30 mpg Jeep Vehicle Lineup ? Choose a Jeep

my question is why is this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2014, 01:44 AM

You need to do a conversion either to litres/100km or US to Canadian MPG

The Canadian Gallon is in British units which is much larger gallon. Hence more miles on it. Also the Canadian # advertised for MPG is artificially derived and much higher than the real world. I'd trust the US system of assessment more. Canada's system is unregulated and the manufactures come up with a number suitable for their purposes.

PS I get 28-31 depending on speed etc MPG CND but anything over 110km/hr speed is below 30MPG for sure. Very poor mpg in my opinion. False advertising on these vehicles.

Just look at the Dodge Ram 1500 there is more than a litre more consumption in the US rating than for the Canadian litres per 100km as confirmed by reviewers.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-27-2014, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Its not so much the false advertising as it's the methods that the cdn and American gov't use to test vehicles. They don't really simulate real world conditions.

I get between 9.5L/100kms-10.00L/100kms strictly highway driving at 100 kms/h or 60mph

100% City driving I get 11L/100kms-11.5L/100kms

I have an intake and magnaflow muffler.

Economy takes a nose dive in the winter, but most vehicles do.

Interesting to note about the fuel economy. Here in Canada for 2015 they started testing vehicles differently, the new results for FDII MK's are now

FDII
Highway = 10.3L/100kms
City = 11.7L/100kms
That is awful close to what I get now.

Old

City = 10.3L/100kms
HIghway = 8.7L/100kms

the 2013 CVT's on FDI's

Old

City = 9.9L/100kms
Highway = 7.6L/100kms

New

City = 11.3L/100kms
Highway = 9.0L/100kms

The new testing methods here are a lot closer to reality based on real driving conditions.

The FDII mileage is not terrible around town vs the FDI, its the highway where the difference is really noticeable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-27-2014, 01:36 PM

True but the Canadian government does not do the testing or stipulate the process. They leave it up to the manufactures to determine themselves. They in turn post lean number that knowone would ever get without at least a major tailwind (all the time) and no hills to climb. We know the emission for the same vehicle is the same in the USA yet their testing should much poorer numbers (higher fuel consumption).

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in