Daytime and headlight question - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 07-14-2014, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Daytime and headlight question

Hello everyone I'm new here!! I just bought a beautiful 2014 black Compass Limited and it love it! I do have a rather weird question though. My compass came with daytime running lights which comes through as a duller version of the high beam in the regular headlight bulb. My question is what is the smaller lights next to the headlights closer to the grille for ? When my daytime running lights are on it's just lit up through the regular headlight and the high beams also go through there but when my headlights are on the lights closer to the grille are also on but very dim? What is the purpose of those lights? I don't see that on any other compass and I always thought those where the high beams but they don't do anything except light up dim...I hope this makes some kind of sense..thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Those small lights are the signal lights, they come on dim when the parking lights are on, and then bright when the signal lights are activated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Yea I know the small little round ones are the parking lights and turn signal but there's a larger regular light next to the headlight that I would have assumed to have been the high beams but they are not. They just light up dim and that's it they don't do anything else. I don't know if there's something wrong with them or if that's just how it's supposed to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
oooooo you mean on the edge of the headlamp housing towards the outside of the vehicle, yes those are park lights, 194 style bulbs only on when the parking lights and headlights are on.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 AM

Garage
I had the same question when I got mine. I notice this only after I brought her home and it got dark outside.

I went back to the dealer the next day thinking maybe something wasn't right with the daytime lamps. Turns out that on the 2014 Limited, the high beam housing uses 3157k bulbs and functions only as daytime running lamps (if equipped with that feature) or as parking lights. The projector housing takes care of the low and high beam operation.

If yours is equipped with Daytime lamps, they should always be on and bright (exept when on Park or when a turn signal is on) but then dim when you turn on the headlights.

Mine was not equipped with Daytime running lamps and so they only functioned as parking lights. Also, the dealer can only activate the Daytime running lamps by setting the computer to Canada spec but you will loose the Sirius Satellite radio and miles will show as Kilo.

The simple fix for me, was to install a Daytime running lamp relay harness like this one:
Amazon.com: LED Daytime Running Light (DRL) Automatic Control On/Off Switch Relay Harness: Automotive

2014 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4
post #6 of 8 Old 07-16-2014, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Yea I do have daytime running lights and they go through the regular headlight housing and also serves the purpose for the high beam lights as well. So the one main headlight serves 3 purposes on mine. As the regular headlight, high beam and daytime running lights. The next large one close to the grille (not the small little tiny blinker one) turns on when the headlights are on but only as a dim light and doing nothing else...so are you saying that light is also just a parking light? Because I do have daytime running lights on mine but like I said it's all operating through the headlight housing. So that's supposed to be like that then? Thanks!!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-16-2014, 09:04 AM

Garage
oh ok, so your headlights are always on on yours. I did not know the Daytime lamps could be set up like that from factory. In that case, the lights that turn on dim when you turn on the headlights are really just like parking lights then.

2014 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4
post #8 of 8 Old 07-16-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Ok that must be what it is then. They must just be the parking lights like you said. They just looks so weird like that. My mom has a compass but hers is a Latitude edition and on hers that light that I'm talking about is the high beam housing. I guess on the Limited models they are different because they use a different headlight. Thanks for your help though it's greatly appreciated!! It was driving me nuts I thought there was something wrong with them lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in